1.9.5 abe settings

Discussions about the Application Boundaries Enforcer (ABE) module
computerdummie

1.9.5 abe settings

Post by computerdummie »

Hello,
I just got the 1.9.5 download. I see the ABE settings and I have the "enable ABE". I have system and user in the left column. I read the PDF example. Will there be rulesets sent to noscript like addblockplus does( I don't have that in my browser,it caused problems).Is the ABE good to go as is?

Thanks for any insight,

dummie
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.0; en-US; rv:1.9.0.11) Gecko/2009060215 Firefox/3.0.11
Tom T.
Field Marshal

Re: 1.9.5 abe settings

Post by Tom T. »

ABE provides substantial protection in its default configuration. To answer your questions, http://hackademix.net/2009/06/30/meet-abe/
# Built-in like the “SYSTEM” ruleset, shipping with ABE and meant to provide automatic protection against “general” threats; you don’t want to edit them unless you know exactly what you’re doing.
# User-defined like the “USER” ruleset, which is empty for you to customize according to your needs.
# Subscription-provided, coming from a centralized location which delivers “trusted” rules (not supported yet)).
# Site-specific, created and made automatically available by site developers or administrators to protect their own web applications.
Now that Giorgio has completed the monumental task of achieving a release build, the to-dos are still: to provide an FAQ, to set up the subscription service described, etc.

See Giorgio's answer in this thread fo an example of how a non-tech user could choose to support Gmail by allowing the Google ad services at that site only, but nowhere else. When the FAQ are available, I'm sure that more detailed instructions and examples for user-set rules will be forthcoming. In the meantime, if you have a specific need and cannot develop the rule from the example cited, please feel free to ask. Cheers.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US at an expert level; rv:1.8.1.20) Gecko/20081217 Firefox/2.0.0.20 diehard
computerdummie

Post by computerdummie »

Hello Tom,

Thanks for the reply and the information!

p
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.0; en-US; rv:1.9.0.11) Gecko/2009060215 Firefox/3.0.11
Tom T.
Field Marshal

Post by Tom T. »

Hello computerdummie,

You're very welcome! If we can ever be of assistance again, please don't hesitate to ask.

Regards,
Tom T.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US at an expert level; rv:1.8.1.20) Gecko/20081217 Firefox/2.0.0.20 diehard