A general post about security

Talk about internet security, computer security, personal security, your social security number...
scooty-cat

A general post about security

Post by scooty-cat »

First off, I've created this account for the following reasons:
1. To interact with others about computing in general at a level I wish to understand more.
2. To learn what others have done and are doing to improve security.
3 To interact through the internet with another person in a friendly manner.

I did not create this account to start any flame wars, to push my agenda, to be an annoyance or because I am bored. If I do not use this account from time to time, please do not think of it as a spambot or what-have-you. I'm still and always will be learning.

Okay, now that I've filled the air with my conceited pompousness, let me talk the talk of the nerd.

I've wondered why more people are not using operating systems such as Linux- this includes all distributions- or a BSD flavor- this includes all four. Not only that but, why aren't architectures such as POWER and SPARC used in everyday appliances?

The second part of this thread is a little more off topic: Has Maone ever talked with Fabrice Bellard about the Javascript Virtual Machine of Linux? bellard.org/jslinux/ For those who do not know who Fabrice Bellard is: He's the inventor of QEmu anf ffmpeg.
Last edited by Tom T. on Mon Feb 27, 2012 7:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: sanitize and remove what are possibly promtional links
Mozilla/5.0 (X11; U; Linux i686; en-US; rv:1.9.1.2) Gecko/20090820 Firefox/3.5.6
Tom T.
Field Marshal

Re: A general post about security

Post by Tom T. »

scooty-cat wrote:First off, I've created this account for the following reasons:
<snip>
3 To interact through the internet with another person in a friendly manner.
This is not a social media site. If you wish to chat with friends on the Internet, please go to sites dedicated to that purpose.
scooty-cat wrote:I've wondered why more people are not using operating systems such as Linux- this includes all distributions- or a BSD flavor- this includes all four. Not only that but, why aren't architectures such as POWER and SPARC used in everyday appliances?
Umm, because most users have no technical knowledge at all, and have enough problems dealing with Windows?
scooty-cat wrote:The second part of this thread is a little more off topic: Has Maone ever talked with Fabrice Bellard about the Javascript Virtual Machine of Linux? bellard.org/jslinux/ For those who do not know who Fabrice Bellard is: He's the inventor of QEmu anf ffmpeg.
Not only O/T, but irrelevant, and sounds very much like you are trying to promote that person's products. Why would Mr. Maone talk to that person on that subject, and what difference would it make?

Consider this a warning against spam, which we usually delete immediately and ban the spammer for life. I've broken the one link, and eliminated the other. Those interested can look it up themselves. If you have issues THAT ARE PERTINENT TO THIS FORUM, feel free to post them. Otherwise, expect your posts and your account to be deleted and banned.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.9.2.27) Gecko/20120216 Firefox/3.6.27
GµårÐïåñ
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by GµårÐïåñ »

Security, WebTech and Ragnork areas of the forum are dedicated for any topic, except spamming and third party promotion, and to allow people to share ideas they feel is relevant to the topics mentioned above. So as long as not blatantly commercial or promotional, no different than security minded people using scroogle or sandboxie as suggested quite often in those areas. It is allowed within reason and although not a social networking site, within a framework set for those section, allowed and the spirit of sharing intended by Giorgio.
~.:[ Lï£ê ï§ å Lêmðñ åñÐ Ì Wåñ† M¥ Mðñê¥ ßå¢k ]:.~
________________ .: [ Major Mike's ] :. ________________
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; rv:10.0.2) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/10.0.2
Tom T.
Field Marshal

Post by Tom T. »

GµårÐïåñ wrote:... dedicated for any topic, except spamming and third party promotion,
OP, before editing, sounded like it was promoting third-party products of Mr. Bellard.
... and to allow people to share ideas they feel is relevant to the topics mentioned above. So as long as not blatantly commercial or promotional, no different than security minded people using scroogle or sandboxie as suggested quite often in those areas. It is allowed within reason and although not a social networking site, within a framework set for those section, allowed and the spirit of sharing intended by Giorgio.
How is "To interact through the internet with another person in a friendly manner" relevant to any of that? Of course we have friendly discussions *on pertinent security and technology topics", but clogging the site with idle chit-chat just for the purpose of having new e-pals is unfair to those users who wait patiently for assistance.

I've spent a great deal of time in discussions as you mention, and always will if I can, but the primary purpose is still related to the relevant issue at hand, not to making new pen-pals. In fact, you and I became pen-pals via meeting here, but we soon moved our chats to regular e-mail channels, so as not to consume resources here.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.9.2.27) Gecko/20120216 Firefox/3.6.27
GµårÐïåñ
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by GµårÐïåñ »

There might be and likely a language (age?) barrier and curiosity that might be coming out of not quite understanding. Its natural to stumble and not make the best first impressions. I agree that some of it seems discontinuous and sort of, yeah and? But I don't feel it was intended to be malicious or provocative or looking to cause trouble. I have seen far more blatant fan-boyism from some people we both know quite well that have been allowed and tolerated, so I am just saying as Giorgio would say, if its fair for some, its fair for all. Within reason of course and you are fully right to be cautious. What happened to adding a beer glass smiley to the list :(
Tom T.
Field Marshal

Post by Tom T. »

This is why I gave OP the benefit of the doubt rather than make a spam call and ban. If the shoe fits, wear it; if not, then fine; feel free to post on relevant topics, that's all.
What happened to adding a beer glass smiley to the list

Code: Select all

[url=http://www.freesmileys.org][img]http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys/smiley-eatdrink004.gif[/img][/url]
Hungry Man

Post by Hungry Man »

I've wondered why more people are not using operating systems such as Linux- this includes all distributions- or a BSD flavor- this includes all four.
People use Windows because everyone uses Windows. Most computers come with it preinstalled and if you want support from the company that you bought the computer form you likely need Windows.

BSD is great but if you're on a laptop you're usually SOL for driver support. In my case it's my wireless card that doesn't work well on BSD.

What do you get from BSD? Well, performance and security. Two really great things. What do people actually care about? Well, performance and security to an extent but moreso they care about ease-of-use (installing easyBSD as a newb is impossible) and the ability to use the programs that they want to use without hassle.

NT doesn't support SPARC. IDK about POWER.

edit; I saw the original post. Didn't think it was a big deal. I'm plenty friendly on here but I don't think I have any irrelevant posts that clog the boards up. But I'm not a mod and I don't really care one way or the other.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.2; WOW64) AppleWebKit/535.24 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/19.0.1054.0 Safari/535.24
dhouwn
Bug Buster

Post by dhouwn »

Tom T. wrote:This is not a social media site.
True, what would come next? Funny user titles? ;-)
GµårÐïåñ wrote:There might be and likely a language (age?) barrier and curiosity that might be coming out of not quite understanding.
To be honest, my first guess was autism.

But now on the master post, I pick and choose…
scooty-cat wrote:why aren't architectures such as POWER and SPARC used in everyday appliances?
That's actually a great question, I guess it's because the architecture on the outside (like the opcodes) has just become yet another layer and on the inner workings might be very different and while there would be optimisations possible by scrapping/redoing this layer they might not be worth the loss of compatibility, but let's see what the future brings and what role ARM is going to play in it.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; WOW64; rv:11.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/11.0
GµårÐïåñ
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by GµårÐïåñ »

Tom T. wrote:This is why I gave OP the benefit of the doubt rather than make a spam call and ban. If the shoe fits, wear it; if not, then fine; feel free to post on relevant topics, that's all.
You are tough but fair my friend, always. Image
GµårÐïåñ
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by GµårÐïåñ »

dhouwn wrote:To be honest, my first guess was autism.
I try not to jump to such harsh diagnosis of people just because they can't get their thoughts together or seem frazzled or discontinuous. It may very well be true but I find that people make so many language slips and so much gets lost in translation often that it can resemble that but not necessarily true. To each their own assessment, I like to give people the benefit of a doubt. You know sometimes the simplest reason, is the most likely, in my case, assumption that it was a language, or possibly age barrier. You could very well be right, but I like to avoid labels like that, it seems to hurt people who are genuinely trying and feel they are being mocked.
Tom T.
Field Marshal

Post by Tom T. »

@ dhouwn:

What GµårÐïåñ said. We have many users for whom English is not their native language, like, um... (tries to think of one... :D )

Autism cannot be diagnosed from a distance, and has often been overdiagnosed in person, so that doctors can make a living.

I try to take posts and posters at face value, allowing for language difficulties, level of tech knowledge, etc. We all have our quirks -- self included ;) -- but so long as the common rules of decency and civility are followed, only the gist of the post counts.

OP has already made a legit-looking post in another topic. Fine.
The unedited OP was suspicious, so clarifications were made, and apparently, OP understood and accepted this. Job done.
Tom T.
Field Marshal

Post by Tom T. »

dhouwn wrote:
Tom T. wrote:This is not a social media site.
True, what would come next? Funny user titles? ;-)
Ha, I only just now noticed that. But you should know that your title is a compliment in appreciation of your many contributions here, both in improving NS and in helping other users when a Mod isn't available.

Also, I admit that the concept itself was my idea, to recognize frequent contributors, so blame me.
The titles, OTOH, were Giorgio's alone, so I was as surprised as you. :lol:

My suggestion for those at your level of knowledge and posting was "Frequent Contributor", to give a little recognition.

If you don't like the title Giorgio made for you, of course you should share your thoughts with him.
But personally, I think that in the IT world, being called a "Bug Buster" would be quite the compliment!

(And maybe ITsec support is a little "dry", and could use some humor at times? ;) )