Basic question: RefControl

Talk about internet security, computer security, personal security, your social security number...
NesteaZen

Basic question: RefControl

Post by NesteaZen »

How exactly do you use it? /Why?
As far as I could determine it doesn't really spoof/block FROM websites. Just eliminates the referrer if you visit a site that is in the list.
It's kind of a whitelist thing.

In case you're wondering why I ask this here, I don't want stupid questions like what do you need this for like I got in the IRC (moznet/#firefox) today and I know the high profile members on here use it (at least it got mentioned a few times, IIRC).

edit: Forgot to add. No Referrer ( Misspelled Referer ) does what I thought RefControl would be doing.
Mozilla/5.0 (en-US; rv:1.9.2.3) Gecko/20100401 Firefox/3.6.3
Giorgio Maone
Site Admin

Re: Basic question: RefControl

Post by Giorgio Maone »

It prevents your browser from sending the HTTP Referer header to sites which are not in its whitelist.
This helps you increase your privacy online, because otherwise site A you're visiting by following a link from site B automatically knows that you're coming from B, even though you may not want to give away this information.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.2; en-US; rv:1.9.2.3) Gecko/20100401 Firefox/3.6.3
NesteaZen

Post by NesteaZen »

Oh, Maone himself :).

Yes. As far as I was able to make out it's good if you let it block per default and then allow it on the sites that need the referrer internally to work properly.
I'm kind of looking for a trade-off. I don't mind sending the referrer internally nor if the ad sites know where I requested the ad from (which actually doesn't happen because of NoScript *) or between various sites, I just don't really like using it when I google, especially since I use Redirector and skip the Google Image frame. I just got tired of dragging the links into the tab bar. With scroogle I don't really mind.

Anyway, before I started the thread I contacted stardrifter.org and asked why it doesn't work the other way around (suppress FROM requests with a whitelist). I kind of like the whole FUN referrer thing :). No Referrer ( Misspelled Referer ) doesn't have it and it also doesn't consider the internal referrer.
even though you may want to give away this information
may not?

(*) I have a profile just for ads (+Tor) and don't worry noscript.net is included for frequent visit ;)
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.9.2.3) Gecko/20100401 Firefox/3.6.3
Giorgio Maone
Site Admin

Post by Giorgio Maone »

NesteaZen wrote:
even though you may want to give away this information
may not?
may not want, that's what was meant to be. Fixed in the original too.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.2; en-US; rv:1.9.2.3) Gecko/20100401 Firefox/3.6.3