Strange but true!

Talk about internet security, computer security, personal security, your social security number...
nagan

Strange but true!

Post by nagan »

I do not know whether this is correct depending on my observation. I am on a ADSL Router. In the earlier days (can't recall) if I closed the window/tab of yahoo mail (all instances in that session even in fact FIREFOX itself) without properly logging off ,in case I try to access yahoo again it would ask me to freshly log in.
I have clearly spelt deleting cookies "When I close Firefox" in the tools options.

These days I am just able to go in even if I am not logged off before closing firefox....

Technically I thought on closing the window all cookies are deleted....
Dreams are REAL possibilities. Pursue them with zest and you can make them HAPPEN!
You are GOD.Realize THAT!
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.9.0.8) Gecko/2009032609 Firefox/3.0.8
therube
Ambassador

Re: Strange but true!

Post by therube »

I don't do anything with cookies at all (except eat them).

Without logging out of Yahoo (webmail), once I close my browser (without logging out of Yahoo), then reopen, I need to sign back in to Yahoo again.

(This is in a Profile without NoScript. Don't see how NoScript would be affecting this in any way in any case. Ditto once I added NoScript.)

Also not that there is a "Keep me signed in" checkbox, though I'd expect that to work via cookies.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.19) Gecko/20110420 SeaMonkey/2.0.14 Pinball NoScript FlashGot AdblockPlus
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.8.1.21) Gecko/20090403 SeaMonkey/1.1.16
Giorgio Maone
Site Admin

Post by Giorgio Maone »

Yahoo requires you to re-login at random times (and it makes even more sense after a browser restart) for security reasons lately.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.2; en-US; rv:1.9.0.8) Gecko/2009032609 Firefox/3.0.8 (.NET CLR 3.5.30729)
nagan

Post by nagan »

Even I did not observe this before as I had stated.I happened to find this accidentally today ,and it is the same with Hotmail and other secured forums.I do not know what is wrong... :roll: :roll:

By the way I observed this COMPULSORY behaviour earlier with FF ,when it used to shut down and reload after a addon update where site navigation was continuos.

I checked with IE and is working properly (That is insist a Fresh Login) :oops: :oops:
Dreams are REAL possibilities. Pursue them with zest and you can make them HAPPEN!
You are GOD.Realize THAT!
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.9.0.8) Gecko/2009032609 Firefox/3.0.8
therube
Ambassador

Post by therube »

Are you sure the FF has quit fully?
Perhaps you have (an earlier) instance hung (as a Process) in memory. Check (Windows) Task Mananger (Processes tab).
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.19) Gecko/20110420 SeaMonkey/2.0.14 Pinball NoScript FlashGot AdblockPlus
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.8.1.21) Gecko/20090403 SeaMonkey/1.1.16
Alan Baxter
Ambassador

Post by Alan Baxter »

nagan wrote:By the way I observed this COMPULSORY behaviour earlier with FF ,when it used to shut down and reload after a addon update where site navigation was continuos.
It still does. That's been true for a long time. Firefox saves and restores the session for an add-ons manager restart, including regular and session cookies of course. I'm glad it works that way.
therube
Ambassador

Post by therube »

I'm glad it works that way.
I'm not.
From what I recall (with FF) there were times when it left you in a "semi-bastardized" state.
Forgot now what the exact circumstances were, but an "addon" required restart (& subsequent Session Restore) was different (behaved differently) then an addon install, shutdown, followed by a (clean) restart of the browser.

And I've often wondered if there could be other unforeseen consequences?

(Not too familiar with Session Restore as it is only relatively recently implemented in SeaMonkey 2.)

Session Restore

Browser.sessionstore.enabled
Alan Baxter
Ambassador

Post by Alan Baxter »

therube wrote:
I'm glad it works that way.
I'm not.
Then exit the browser and restart manually. Some people have complained about session restore not being 100% reliable on Firefox if they have several windows with 100s of tabs open, but it certainly does a better job of restoring a session than not trying at all. ;)
I've never had a problem with it. But then again, I'm only a Firefox user, not a SeaMonkey one.
GµårÐïåñ
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by GµårÐïåñ »

Not entirely related to the subject at hand, but I personally have my profile setup so that when I close the browser, it destroys and removes all cache, cookies and so on. This way I get a clean start every time and I don't have to deal with the inconsistencies that therube mentioned. However, I have to agree with Alan that on certain occasions, I have found the session restore invaluable and was glad it was there. Although usually when my Fx crashes, when restarting, I tell it to start fresh not restore. Sometimes I have noticed that Fx will remain running even when it is "closed" and I check the taskmanager and have to force terminate it sometimes. I haven't quite narrowed down EXACTLY why this occurs but I have noticed certain extensions that hook the system tend to increase the frequency of such behavior.
~.:[ Lï£ê ï§ å Lêmðñ åñÐ Ì Wåñ† M¥ Mðñê¥ ßå¢k ]:.~
________________ .: [ Major Mike's ] :. ________________
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.1; en-US; rv:1.9.0.8) Gecko/2009032609 Firefox/3.0.8 NoScript/1.9.1.7 FlashGot/1.1.8.5 FirePHP/0.2.4
Tom T.
Field Marshal

Post by Tom T. »

GµårÐïåñ wrote:Sometimes I have noticed that Fx will remain running even when it is "closed" and I check the taskmanager and have to force terminate it sometimes. I haven't quite narrowed down EXACTLY why this occurs but I have noticed certain extensions that hook the system tend to increase the frequency of such behavior.
This may help:
Unloading DLLS

Explorer does not unloadDLL files from memory right away. They always remain in the memory for a period of time that is often quite lengthy. To unload DLLs when you are done with them navigate to

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer

This time you'll have to create an entry called AlwaysUnloadDLL and set the value to 1.

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer]
"AlwaysUnloadDLL"="1
WARNING: Always back up the Registry before editing it. Have that backup available on an external medium. Incorrect editing of the Registry can cause irreparable damage to your machine. Edit the Registry at your own risk only.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.8.1.20) Gecko/20081217 Firefox/2.0.0.20
GµårÐïåñ
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by GµårÐïåñ »

Thank you for sharing that buddy but I already have that, this is something stranger and I just haven't had time to run a full scale debugger to figure it out. I have noticed it on a couple of machines that the guys are running IeTab for example, it will try to load the ie engine and then freezes, you can kill Fx all you want and until your heart desires but it WILL NOT go away no matter what you do. The only way to fix it is to restart the machine and I have narrowed it down to an incompatibility with the way ietab loads ie8 but not why yet and their developer support simply sucks. I just haven't had the time to try and figure out why it does that and where it gets hooked and what's holding it. Someday.
~.:[ Lï£ê ï§ å Lêmðñ åñÐ Ì Wåñ† M¥ Mðñê¥ ßå¢k ]:.~
________________ .: [ Major Mike's ] :. ________________
Firefox/3.0.8 NoScript/1.9.1.7 FlashGot/1.1.8.5 FirePHP/0.2.4
therube
Ambassador

Post by therube »

I just posted this today in a different forum (relating to: Firefox: Reduce memory usage, config.trim_on_minimize) ...
Beware of "fixes", especially old fixes, & do realize that all "fixes" may not be appropriate for "all".
That said, & I have no idea of what AlwaysUnloadDLL does or doesn't do, but, [xp]AlwaysUnloadDLL does improve ram utilization.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1b4pre) Gecko/20090328 SeaMonkey/2.0b1pre
Tom T.
Field Marshal

Post by Tom T. »

therube wrote:I just posted this today in a different forum (relating to: Firefox: Reduce memory usage, config.trim_on_minimize) ...
Beware of "fixes", especially old fixes, & do realize that all "fixes" may not be appropriate for "all".
That said, & I have no idea of what AlwaysUnloadDLL does or doesn't do, but, [xp]AlwaysUnloadDLL does improve ram utilization.
Good advice in general. But I've been running that tweak for quite a while, seen no harm, definitely some gain in some processes unloading, not necessarily all. No need to spend hours watching Task Mgr to prove or disprove. The other thing is I've disabled prefetching, which eats a lot of resources. I think between the two, things are actually faster than with prefetch enabled. OTOH, I've also disabled swapping (paging) to disk, and have only 1.02 GB used on HDD. (Shooting for that magic number, "0.99 GB" lol) Veeery fast machine for a low-end laptop -- probably faster than those costing 3-4x as much and loaded with junk. MHO. YMMV, and undoubtedly will.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.8.1.20) Gecko/20081217 Firefox/2.0.0.20
therube
Ambassador

Post by therube »

Remove some of the bloat & you'll hit that magic 99, TinyApps.Org.
Tom T.
Field Marshal

Post by Tom T. »

therube wrote: TinyApps.Org.
Cool link! Bookmarked & will take a thorough look some time. Thanks.
therube wrote:Remove some of the bloat
LOL! Like cutting XP from 2700 MB to 350, or dumping MS Office 800 MB for Open Office (280), then trimming OO to 97 MB, or dumping Adobe 9 (367 MB) for Foxit 2 (3.7 MB) isn't "cutting the bloat"? :D We're down to trimming muscle & bone here... hmmm, maybe get rid of NS... j/k!
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US and very good at it, so please write properly; rv:1.8.1.20) Gecko/20081217 Firefox/2.0.0.20 which is much better than 3.x