How to block those adult websites on my Mac Mavericks?

Talk about internet security, computer security, personal security, your social security number...
SherlockLV

How to block those adult websites on my Mac Mavericks?

Post by SherlockLV »

My brother is addicted to those adult sites, my mum asks me to find out some ways to block them so he will not watch them anymore. I have try the built-in parental control, but it is easy to bypass, anyone know how?
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; WOW64) AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/34.0.1847.116 Safari/537.36
Thrawn
Master Bug Buster

Re: How to block those adult websites on my Mac Mavericks?

Post by Thrawn »

Nothing is foolproof. If your brother insists on going to a site, then technology alone won't stop him. This is more of a social issue than a technical one.

That said, If he only has a limited Windows account, not Administrator, then perhaps you could use the Hosts file to block sites. Or maybe set up a filtering proxy for all internet access.
======
Thrawn
------------
Religion is not the opium of the masses. Daily life is the opium of the masses.

True religion, which dares to acknowledge death and challenge the way we live, is an attempt to wake up.
Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Ubuntu; Linux i686; rv:29.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/29.0
kukla

Post by kukla »

Mozilla/5.0 (Macintosh; Intel Mac OS X 10.8; rv:29.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/29.0
Chall

Post by Chall »

You can go to your internet settings and set passwords and write certain websites as "blocked" so that you need the password to access them. Besides, you can also install a web filter for Mavericks to block the certain unwanted websites like Aobo Filter for Mac.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; WOW64) AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/34.0.1847.116 Safari/537.36
barbaz

Post by barbaz »

Thread is locked due to spam.

While I'm here, I'd like to point out a few things:
- Aobo Filter for Mac is commercial/paid software. Please note that any mention of commercial products in this thread does not constitute an endorsement by the forum or by any forum staff for that product.
- If SherlockLV's brother has administrative access there's really nothing that can be done about.
- If not, pointing the domains to 0.0.0.0 in the HOSTS file, plus installing TCPBlock v 4.2 and configuring it as an IP blocker, is one possible free solution which should block a set of sites on a Mac, if you don't want to use the builtin parental controls...
*Always* check the changelogs BEFORE updating that important software!
-