Email LINKS in GMX Redirect to GMX Login Page

General discussion about web technology.
IMB4U

Email LINKS in GMX Redirect to GMX Login Page

Post by IMB4U »

I have an account with GMX email (webmail) and I think it is very nice EXCEPT they never seem to be able to correct current problems - while at the same time, they keep adding new features instead. The following is a problem for all users of GMX and I can't understand why it has not been able to be solved.

ALL links within the GMX email interface get dereferred to the GMX "login page" (home page)! :shock:
There are many user comments in the GMX forum about the links and I have, also, commented there. It's frustrating to think that all of the links within all of our messages have been "unlinked" now and redirected to the GMX login page; the links being totally useless.

They say they are working on the problem and 3 months ago, they said hopefully it will be fixed soon.
They have had this problem now for at least 9 months :!:

I am not knowledgeable about scripts, hrefs, etc., BUT this just does not make any sense whatsoever to "me". This issue, in my opinion, should have been able to be solved sometime during a 24-hour period...no? yes? :roll: Any ideas as to what might be going on here? I would really appreciate hearing a reasonable explanation. ;)

EDIT: (Addendum on 09-12-10)
I just tried to show an example of what happens and was going to allow you to click on the link and see for yourself...BUT...the link here in the NoScript forum worked like it was supposed to, by going directly to NoScript!
I just tried using an http://www.noscript.com link inside the GMX email interface and got directed to the GMX Login Page instead. I then sent an email containing your URL link from GMX to a different webmail service, opened that email and after clicking on the NoScript URL in the other webmail, I got directed back to the GMX Login Page, again.
So...I assumed I could show you, too, just how it doesn't work, but here in your NoScript forum - after I copied the NoScript URL from GMX & pasted it here - the link works correctly on your forum website. :shock:
Perhaps the links only don't work when sending them back & forth between email services :?: :roll:
Windows 8, Professional, 64-bit/4 GB Ram/Pale Moon 25.5/ NoScript, Adblock Plus, Better Privacy; Super-Antispyware (free), Malwarebytes Anti-Malware (free), Spyware Blaster (free), WinPatrol (free)
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.1; en-US; rv:1.9.2.9) Gecko/20100824 Firefox/3.6.9
dhouwn
Bug Buster

Re: Email LINKS in GMX Redirect to GMX Login Page

Post by dhouwn »

I then sent an email containing your URL link from GMX to a different webmail service, opened that email and after clicking on the NoScript URL in the other webmail, I got directed back to the GMX Login Page, again.
That's interesting, so GMX basically modifies the e-mail which is quite uncanny.
Can you try to get the raw e-mail source code?
Mozilla/5.0 (X11; U; Linux i686; en-US; rv:1.9.2.9) Gecko/20100830 Ubuntu/10.10 (maverick) Firefox/3.6.9
IMB4U

Post by IMB4U »

NOTE: Please excuse this lengthy posting.

First...of note is I didn't think "I" was having problems with links until January 2010.

Next...the problem with clicking on links sent from GMX to other webmail is supposed to have been solved since sometime beginning in March 2010, and "most" of the time since then, those GMX links I receive in my other webmail do go to the correct websites. Unfortunately, I had many links in GMX before they solved that part of the problem and when I transferred those messages to my other webmail, none of those many links worked any longer, and there is no way for me to get them back, I guess (they still direct to the GMX Login Page).
However, I said "most" of the time the links received in other webmail work now, but they didn't work properly when I posted my comment to you.

BUT..."all" links that are created within GMX or have been received by GMX from other webmail STILL do NOT work in GMX...those always have gotten redirected since the beginning of January 2010, for me. I see other people have complained about the links getting redirected or being unclickable since the summer of 2008! :shock: Since the beginning of March, the links all get redirected to the GMX Login Page, but prior to that time, there were 2 other similar locations they sometimes got redirected to instead.
Of note: Before the beginning of March, when all GMX links were redirected, even in other webmail, back to the GMX Login Page, I thought perhaps it was intentional. Why? Because that would certainly have been a great way of advertising their webmail services...by having thousands of users sending out thousands of links to other people, who in turn would click on the links and end up at the GMX Login Page. :roll:

The GMX forum moderators say they are working on the problem. One moderator's comment was that even though they are working on the problem, it really would be much safer for the GMX users not to click on "links", and that perhaps that might be one reason why the links don't work...for users' security, but he added they will keep working on the problem and it will hopefully be fixed soon.

Ok...regarding the "dereferrer" GMX uses on its links, this is what happens when I use my Web Devloper extension.
Example = link is for: http://www.noscript.com
(1) When viewing the link with the Web Developer ext. in "Display Link" mode:
Href=https://www.gmx.com/dereferrer/?target= ... script.com
Target= blankhttp://www.noscript.com
(2) When viewing the link with the Web Developer ext. in "View Link Information" mode:
https://www.gmx.com/dereferrer/?target= ... script.com

Hmmm...to me, a non-techy person, I would think that by simply removing the dereferrers GMX places in the links would solve the problem. :idea: :?:

Also, of note, what really puzzles me is that I have a link from a GMX email which is located in my other webmail that says:
support@gmx.com
While I'm in my other webmail and click on that link, the link does NOT direct me to the GMX login page...but instead, a new window opens up in my other webmail account I am in...to my Inbox! :shock:
I think this particular link I'm speaking of is the only one I have left from "before" March of this year. Anyway, I've tried to duplicate this with other exact same links but can't; only this particular one appears to be able to do this lately.
Windows 8, Professional, 64-bit/4 GB Ram/Pale Moon 25.5/ NoScript, Adblock Plus, Better Privacy; Super-Antispyware (free), Malwarebytes Anti-Malware (free), Spyware Blaster (free), WinPatrol (free)
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.1; en-US; rv:1.9.2.9) Gecko/20100824 Firefox/3.6.9
therube
Ambassador

Post by therube »

Should help: remove redirects, Changes redirecting links to go directly to the "real" target.

Thinking that either this "dereferrer" is simply broken, or forcibly broken.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.19) Gecko/20110420 SeaMonkey/2.0.14 Pinball NoScript FlashGot AdblockPlus
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.12) Gecko/20100825 SeaMonkey/2.0.7
Faxanadu

Post by Faxanadu »

Redirect Remover may help as well: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/537/
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.9.2.9) Gecko/20100824 Firefox/3.6.9 (.NET CLR 3.5.30729)
IMB4U

Post by IMB4U »

@Faxanadu
Thank you for your suggestion. I'll check it out.

@therube
Thank you so very much for introducing me to those wonderful bookmarklets!
It's amazing to see how quickly I can "zap" a website and view it the way I wish to.

Ok...BUT...guess what? I've been wanting to find a forum where I could post this problem for the last 8 months and I had finally decided to simply try NoScript because I thought you'd most likely know something about the issue.
SURPRISE! I went to GMX a short time ago and was going to try out the "remove directs" bookmarklet, but out of habit, I first tried clicking on a link --- AND IT WORKED!!!! :shock: I don't want to get too excited because things can work one minute or one hour or one day and then not the next, but I have a good feeling about this at the moment, and I think perhaps they may have decided to fix the problem?!?! If so, that will be totally 8-) :!:

Life sure can be ironic at times. I waited 8 months before calling out for help, and not only do I get advice from you, but now it, also, "appears" that GMX has finally solved the problem...all at the same time. Amazing, huh :?: :D
Again, thanks a lot!