off-topic discussion comparing NS & µMatrix - split from t=23656

General discussion about web technology.
gorhill

off-topic discussion comparing NS & µMatrix - split from t=23656

Post by gorhill »

barbaz wrote:µMatrix UI has a very steep learning curve (being intended only for advanced users, unlike NoScript which is supposed to be accessible to intermediate users).
You exaggerate in an unfair way, uMatrix is no more difficult to use than NoScript. The matrix is a pure what-you-see-is-what-you-get, with natural logical inheritance of rules, and fully point and click to allow/block. If anything , I argue it's easier to use, because it makes it easy to set per-site rules (vs. NoScript's ABE), and at any granularity with no further complication. You can toggle the "all" cell to quickly un-break a web site while not causing you to go completely naked -- because per-site (again), and because of the imported blacklist rules from hosts files will override the broader rules (vs. NoScript allow everything from everywhere).

It's a pity that uMatrix is unfairly described as more complicated than NoScript (typically from people partial to NoScript), because it's not, it's only a mental obstacle from people used to older ways of doing things. I was a user of NoScript, and it's definitely for advanced user, just like uMatrix, and just like uBO's medium mode -- at the end of the day, the difficulty resides in figuring what to allow/block, the allow/blocking is no more difficult to do in uMatrix than it is in NoScript.
Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Linux x86_64; rv:59.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/59.0
barbaz

Re: off-topic discussion comparing NS & µMatrix - split from

Post by barbaz »

Splitting to keep the original thread on-topic about NoScript UI design suggestions.
gorhill wrote:You exaggerate in an unfair way, uMatrix is no more difficult to use than NoScript.
gorhill, I'm afraid you misread my post. I'm not knocking µMatrix, please don't take my posts that way, µMatrix is a great tool and I still use it and it works well.

Sure, µMatrix isn't much harder to use than NoScript once you've already learned how it works. What I'm saying is, µMatrix is harder to LEARN than NoScript. This was my experience and I am not alone.
gorhill wrote:I was a user of NoScript, and it's definitely for advanced user,
I started out using NoScript as an intermediate user and I did fine. I wouldn't have been able to handle µMatrix at that time.
*Always* check the changelogs BEFORE updating that important software!
-