Chrome now "partially suspending" most background tabs

General discussion about web technology.
barbaz

Chrome now "partially suspending" most background tabs

Post by barbaz »

*Always* check the changelogs BEFORE updating that important software!
-
GµårÐïåñ
Lieutenant Colonel

Re: Chrome now "partially suspending" most background tabs

Post by GµårÐïåñ »

Actually it is quite horrible and will cause A LOT of problems with people who have sessions critical components that suspending requires reload and can hurt the session, think about it and you will know what situations I am referring to. They have such horrible and greedy resource hogging that the only way they can mitigate it is to screw over everyone with this self serving crap. Just to add, this crap is a further extension of their "automatic tab discarding" which means if you have a tab open (which most people do for valid reasons, not just shits and giggle) they will dump everything for it and it will no longer be updated or up to date and when you switch to it, it will force reload the tab, image the nightmare that causes? And now if you want to do something actively on a background tab through the day, it will keep killing it whenever IT determines it knows more about your habits than you do and that your intentions don't matter worth a damn.
~.:[ Lï£ê ï§ å Lêmðñ åñÐ Ì Wåñ† M¥ Mðñê¥ ßå¢k ]:.~
________________ .: [ Major Mike's ] :. ________________
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; WOW64; rv:52.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/52.0
barbaz

Post by barbaz »

Wow, didn't realise the "suspended" tabs were force-reloaded when they come back in the foreground. That's awful.

Now I hope this feature will be user-controllable.
-
GµårÐïåñ
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by GµårÐïåñ »

barbaz wrote:Wow, didn't realise the "suspended" tabs were force-reloaded when they come back in the foreground. That's awful.
Indeed and this horrible nightmare began with "automatic tab discarding" to combat the fact that they were guzzling people's battery and memory which actually makes the browser slower than all the others, which is the only hyped bullshit that keeps Chrome and their schizophrenic attitude towards everything guaranteeing they have exclusive control and overreaching access to people's data in return moving forward. People are flocking to Chrome like they did with Firefox without realizing that it is a watered down vanilla crap meant to just emphasis Google's services, nothing more and lacks basic functionalities. As it tried to grow up and include those features, it became a slow and inefficient piece of crap that will push a lot of people out of desperation to use Edge's better system or even go back to Firefox and live with the abuse. I guess the dysfunctional relationships you have eventually become better than the "alternative".
Now I hope this feature will be user-controllable.
Well with automatic tab discarding, sort of. You could go to about:flags and then find it and explicitly disable it. However, I noticed that in reality, it only works most of the time, not all of the time, so expect to still lose session data and have to start over or inconsistencies across your online state which will often make most sites invalidate you and kick you out. But as for the new nightmare, I have no idea yet but I suspect something obscure about it is buried somewhere or the god awful crap that is those ugly ass long command line options which are SO DUMB and in efficient - see all the problems people have keeping Chrome as their default browser and links will fail to open in it properly coming from other applications or even the OS often. I DO NOT use it for a daily driver anymore, I think they are utter garbage now and have been going that route for too long to expect it to get any better. Say what you want about M$ but they at least did it right with Edge, and kept it mostly insider and in dev mode to ensure it is good before release, while Google uses the public as their test toilet for everything and doesn't care how much stuff they break in the process.
~.:[ Lï£ê ï§ å Lêmðñ åñÐ Ì Wåñ† M¥ Mðñê¥ ßå¢k ]:.~
________________ .: [ Major Mike's ] :. ________________
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; WOW64; rv:52.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/52.0
barbaz

Post by barbaz »

-