µMatrix thread

General discussion about web technology.
barbaz

Re: µMatrix thread

Post by barbaz »

Hmm. You could try adding this -

Code: Select all

* * script allow
aol.com * script block
This should have µMatrix blocking scripts by default on aol.com, but leave it allowing scripts elsewhere.

If this doesn't work then the site in question might not be aol.com, and the logger would be needed.
*Always* check the changelogs BEFORE updating that important software!
-
kukla

Post by kukla »

barbaz wrote:Hmm. You could try adding this -

Code: Select all

* * script allow
aol.com * script block
This should have µMatrix blocking scripts by default on aol.com, but leave it allowing scripts elsewhere.

If this doesn't work then the site in question might not be aol.com, and the logger would be needed.
I assume that you understand that I don't want to block all AOL scripts, just the ones I believe are responsible for the JS redirects. Will this allow me to block only selected scripts, as in what I had been trying to do before, but which failed? Anyway, will give this a try and see how it turns out.
Mozilla/5.0 (Macintosh; Intel Mac OS X 10.11; rv:52.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/52.0
barbaz

Post by barbaz »

kukla wrote:I assume that you understand that I don't want to block all AOL scripts, just the ones I believe are responsible for the JS redirects.
Yep, but finding the ideal solution would take a bit more time and digging.
kukla wrote:Will this allow me to block only selected scripts, as in what I had been trying to do before, but which failed?
Sort of. If you explicitly allow all the scripts individually, and narrow it down from there, the end result will be the same.
-
kukla

Post by kukla »

* * script allow + aol.com * script block did the job. No more AOL JS redirects!

Now that NS is set to be the sole script blocker, with this exception, can you explain why you prefer that arrangement as one opposed to letting both be involved with the scripts? This came up when I said that NS alone was often frustrating enough to deal with, and that's when we got started down this road. Are there any drawbacks to this arrangement? One thing that occurs to me is that uMatrix might offer more granular control over scripts which NS doesn't even list.

And another thing I've been meaning to ask is why aren't all the domain names in the each of the Hosts Files not being blocked. Each list is never fully loaded. Is this something set by uMatrix, for some reason? E.g, the first, Dan Pollock's, shows 9,145 used out of 12,814. Is this because including all of those would be too disruptive?

Many thanks again for all your great help with this since the beginning.

Screenshots of the AOL scope with the offending URLs disabled, outlined in blue + the Hosts Files.

https://imgur.com/a/Hqbc8

EDIT: and now the spam filter won't let me post the TinyPic (now working) screenshots directly :?: :?: --not seeing anything spam in either of them. Don't understand why, since I posted images from TinyPic earlier with no problems. So back to imgur. Uh oh, this extremely neurotic spam filter is driving me nuts, won't let me post the link, above, to imgur either. So hope this can get you there. Even disabling URL parsing doesn't work.
Last edited by barbaz on Sat Jun 24, 2017 2:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: make image link clickable
Mozilla/5.0 (Macintosh; Intel Mac OS X 10.11; rv:52.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/52.0
barbaz

Post by barbaz »

kukla wrote:* * script allow + aol.com * script block did the job. No more AOL JS redirects!
Great! Image
kukla wrote:Now that NS is set to be the sole script blocker, with this exception, can you explain why you prefer that arrangement as one opposed to letting both be involved with the scripts? This came up when I said that NS alone was often frustrating enough to deal with, and that's when we got started down this road.
That's exactly it. Generally it's not worth the extra frustration. It's only useful in specific cases.

Doing most script-blocking in NoScript instead of µMatrix has the advantages that A) you can see <noscript> tags on script-blocked pages if you want (IIRC it's not µMatrix fault that this doesn't work there), and B) NoScript uses its script permissions for more than just script blocking, e.g. how lenient to make the XSS filter.
kukla wrote:Are there any drawbacks to this arrangement?
Not that I know of, since you can always turn µMatrix script blocking on for specific sites as needed.
kukla wrote:And another thing I've been meaning to ask is why aren't all the domain names in the each of the Hosts Files not being blocked. Each list is never fully loaded. Is this something set by uMatrix, for some reason?
Looking at the code, I think it ignores duplicate entries.
-
kukla

Post by kukla »

:D
kukla

Post by kukla »

Hi again barbaz, small wrinkle: on logging in to my Verizon account, which uses 3 separate scopes, including first, entering user name, next, secret question, and finally the account password. I can't get in until I reload the page. Not a big deal, since it just requires this little page reload workaround, but thinking that uMatrix is blocking some kind of html redirect. (Thinking it's that after looking at the Firefox console--not an expert using the console, by any means--because I see an https link there that when copied and entered gets me in--doing that appears to accomplish the same thing effectively as reloading the page.)

What is puzzling is that along the way, including the final sign in, each scope is set with uM filtering completely disabled. So don't understand how or where this html redirect (if that's what it is) is being prevented by uM. With uM completely disabled, this doesn't happen. Maybe some bug in uM or who knows?

From my rules: "matrix-off: www.verizon.com true"

The following is the final URL after that page reload and the html redirect, presumably, copied from console: https://www.verizon.com/foryourhome/myaccount/pr/router/routeme?<xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx long string> which it would seem that rule should to allow.
barbaz

Post by barbaz »

Deos the µMatrix logger show anything blocked?
-
kukla

Post by kukla »

barbaz wrote:Deos the µMatrix logger show anything blocked?
Don't know what I'm doing with the Logger, plus it behaves quite squirrely. Sometimes where the hangup occurs it's showing hundreds of lines, next time I try it it's blank. Anyway, what do these two screenshots mean to you? (Hoping the anti-spammer allows TinyPic this time.)

"My Verizon - Loading" sometimes shows hundreds of lines, then on next login-after clearing cache and cookies-nothing, just blank.

Seems some script is being blocked, but everything in uM is allowed. Thought it might be some script or blocked object not allowed in NoScript, but after much trial and error, no dice. Don't think I'll spend too much more time on this, since it's easy enough just to reload the page.

barbaz

Post by barbaz »

I would suggest A) viewing "All" in the logger, B) opening the logger before reproducing the issue, and C) not having other sites open during any of this.

Can you please post the Tinypic link to the second screenshot? The image looks reduced and I can't quite read the text.
-
kukla

Post by kukla »

UPDATE: Doesn't seem related to uMatrix after all. Until quite recently with uM disabled, I was able to get in to VZ directly without needing to reload the page. Now it's doing the same thing even with uM disabled, and completely removed, as well. Not sure just what changed, them or me. Have tried just about everything possible, including temporarily allowing all in NS, disabling ABP, allowing all blocked objects in NS, reinstalling the NoScript 5.0.5 over the 5.0.6 (last addon I remember updating,) pausing blocking entirely in Ghostery, and disabling a redirect blocker addon. Unsurprisingly, no problem getting in when started in Firefox Safe Mode with all addons disabled.

For the time being at least, or until I suddenly wake up at 3 AM with the solution, I am just going to live with needing to reload the page.
yes_noscript

Post by yes_noscript »

You should uninstall ghostery if you care about your privacy
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; Win64; x64; rv:45.9) Gecko/20100101 Goanna/3.2 Firefox/45.9 PaleMoon/27.4.0
kukla

Post by kukla »

yes_noscript wrote:You should uninstall ghostery if you care about your privacy
Don't think they're getting anything from me. Refused to update to any version above the 5.4.11, released 2/16 (but still getting tracker and cookie updates), after which all their BS started. Don't have anything enabled in options that allows data mining. You still think this is a privacy risk?

UPDATE 2: discovered that the culprit for the Verizon problem is Privacy Badger, which even with everything Verizon whitelisted still blocks the final loading of that page. With PB disabled it loads fine, with or without uMatrix.

Note: Have found that Privacy Badger and Ghostery--at least the Ghostery version I'm running--complement one another.
yes_noscript

Post by yes_noscript »

I wouldnt trust a company like ghostery is from.
PrivacyBadger is crap and if you use uMatrix you dont need it nor ghostery.

Also your performance is much better if you only use uMatrix
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; Win64; x64; rv:45.9) Gecko/20100101 Goanna/3.2 Firefox/45.9 PaleMoon/27.4.0
kukla

Post by kukla »

"PrivacyBadger is crap," the company behind Ghostery (recently acquired from Evidon by the German Cliqz) is not trustworthy. Instead of these vague charges, what about details and hard evidence to back up your opinions? I'm not reflexively defending either of these programs, but I don't think you'd decide whether or not to buy a car based on opinions like this.
Mozilla/5.0 (iPad; CPU OS 9_3_5 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/601.1.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/9.0 Mobile/13D15 Safari/601.1