Clean ad servers

General discussion about web technology.
apollo702

Clean ad servers

Post by apollo702 »

I have been digging around and I have been coming up empty in my search. My site is nearing launch and I want to hosta few modest ads- but they have to be clean clean clean.

Since I am preaching privacy/security and I am catering to an audience who wont put up with any nonsense the ads have to simultaneously generate revenue- all the while only collecting just enough data to get the job done- and no more. Everything must be airtight.

I have contacted a number of companies, I have contacted some of the trade associations and so far I can't even get a response. I am wondering if anybody in the community is aware of any such service. Am I chasing a unicorn here :?:
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; Win64; x64; rv:25.2) Gecko/20150122 Firefox/31.9 PaleMoon/25.2.1
barbaz

Re: Clean ad servers

Post by barbaz »

Only way you can guarantee that is by hosting the ads on your own server and making sure they don't depend on active content at all, sorry.

(I go out of my way to whitelist ads like that.)
*Always* check the changelogs BEFORE updating that important software!
-
Thrawn
Master Bug Buster

Post by Thrawn »

Also, if you do go that route, you can probably get whitelisted by the Adblock Plus folks. Although, if you're hosting the ads yourself, you might not be on their blacklist anyway.
======
Thrawn
------------
Religion is not the opium of the masses. Daily life is the opium of the masses.

True religion, which dares to acknowledge death and challenge the way we live, is an attempt to wake up.
Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Ubuntu; Linux x86_64; rv:36.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/36.0
apollo702

Post by apollo702 »

Thank you for responding and even those tidbits do help. Unfortunately that could also mean some major projects- but chasing down clean pre-existing servers appears to be a dead-end so far. It may come out a wash in terms of time and effort.

My business is based on taking tech and making it work for people without IT degrees. I arrived late to the tech party and I am first and foremost an entertainer. Since support is a joke there is a huge opening to exploit.

One of my leading goals it to teach people how to use tools like NoScript to shut down the spying and reclaim some privacy/security- and do it in terms that your grandma can understand. A key to putting it all together is proving that a better business model exists- namely making clean revenue on the front end.

EDIT:

I didn't see your post Thrawn. Thank you for that other tip!
Last edited by apollo702 on Fri Feb 27, 2015 4:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; Win64; x64; rv:25.2) Gecko/20150122 Firefox/31.9 PaleMoon/25.2.1
barbaz

Post by barbaz »

Thrawn wrote:if you're hosting the ads yourself, you might not be on their blacklist anyway.
Yes you would, EasyList does block ads of that nature.
*Always* check the changelogs BEFORE updating that important software!
-