Adblock Plus Has Lost Its Usefulness

General discussion about web technology.
therube
Ambassador

Adblock Plus Has Lost Its Usefulness

Post by therube »

Adblock Plus Has Lost Its Usefulness - to me, I'm thinking.

My memory usage seems to be going up & up & up - well due to all the crap I keep open, primarily.
But also due to general memory increases in Mozilla, with every release of late.
Even if only a little, over time, it ads up.
And then that's further exacerbated by ABP as it takes a decent amount too.
Perhaps not in direct, absolute numbers that you can say "here!", but in real usage, with it enabled & with it not, & over time, how much (mem usage) I've amassed (or how much less I've consumed without ABP).

Things are worse on XP (32-bit OS's) as you'll hit ~2 GB process limit, sooner & harder (freezing or crashing).

And I'm not anal about "ads".
So if something slips though, so what. So long as I'm not unduly hampered, bugged...

NoScript already blocks a good deal as it is.

And I've started messing with Bluhell Firewall, which I'll enable when I'm on particular sites to mop up "junk". Seems to work well enough (not perfect, but...).

There is one thing I like about ABP, & that is its ability to enumerate "stuff", to see stuff, often that (FlashGot) does not (display at least). But I think I'll take that point to FlashGot (or if there is some similar featured extension...).
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.19) Gecko/20110420 SeaMonkey/2.0.14 Pinball NoScript FlashGot AdblockPlus
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; WOW64; rv:29.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/29.0 SeaMonkey/2.26.1
barbaz

Re: Adblock Plus Has Lost Its Usefulness

Post by barbaz »

therube wrote:Adblock Plus Has Lost Its Usefulness
+1. Bigtime. Ever since version 2.6 when they decided browser performance was more important than content-blocking reliability.
therube wrote:There is one thing I like about ABP, & that is its ability to enumerate "stuff", to see stuff, often that (FlashGot) does not (display at least). But I think I'll take that point to FlashGot (or if there is some similar featured extension...).
"Stuff" meaning requests made by a page? Maybe Firebug could do the job?
(Note that ABP was never a reliable enumerator of anything on script-enabled pages that alter their DOM, as getting rid of ABP's stored request data is as simple as running node.parentNode.removeChild(node) on the node that caused the request.
If that doesn't matter to you, I suppose you could also try running ABP with zero filters...)
*Always* check the changelogs BEFORE updating that important software!
Mozilla/5.0 (Macintosh; Intel Mac OS X 10.7; rv:30.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/30.0 SeaMonkey/2.27a2