How to hide a wireless network?

General discussion about web technology.
barbaz

Re: How to hide a wireless network?

Post by barbaz »

GµårÐïåñ wrote:while having a GUEST access seems attractive
Disabling that is one of the first things we did.
If we wanted that, we wouldn't want to hide the network ;)
*Always* check the changelogs BEFORE updating that important software!
Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Linux i686; rv:32.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/32.0 SeaMonkey/2.29a1
GµårÐïåñ
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by GµårÐïåñ »

Good, just wanted to make sure for sake of being thorough in giving advice :)
~.:[ Lï£ê ï§ å Lêmðñ åñÐ Ì Wåñ† M¥ Mðñê¥ ßå¢k ]:.~
________________ .: [ Major Mike's ] :. ________________
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.3; WOW64; rv:29.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/29.0
Hecuba's daughter

Post by Hecuba's daughter »

nvm
Last edited by Hecuba's daughter on Sun Jun 22, 2014 7:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; WOW64; rv:29.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/29.0 SeaMonkey/2.26
GµårÐïåñ
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by GµårÐïåñ »

What I mean specifically is that some routers now provide you a regular network for your home/work/office and another one called a guest network. Sort of like a user account on windows and a guest account.

These guest accounts work something like hotel or hotspot ones. Your guest connects to your Wifi, generally <YOUR-SSID>-Guest as their SSID and then whatever "guest password" you have chosen and give them. Then when they start their browser, they get a page that gives them temporary access and voila they are online. While implementations may vary, the idea is the same.

What I am suggesting is DO NOT ALLOW THESE GUEST NETWORKS. Either go through the extra steps of putting the person on your network or just don't let people use it.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.3; WOW64; rv:29.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/29.0
Hecuba's daughter

Post by Hecuba's daughter »

nvm
Last edited by Hecuba's daughter on Sun Jun 22, 2014 7:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; WOW64; rv:29.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/29.0 SeaMonkey/2.26
dhouwn
Bug Buster

Post by dhouwn »

GµårÐïåñ wrote:The only difference between ISP and non-ISP routers is […] So what exactly are you talking about?
I don't remember the exact details of the case I was thinking to (I do know people who reported the issue though, I could ask them) but the router (or even a range of routers) was also a cable modem and basically had a customized firmware that allowed for silent updates from the provider side (like what is the case with every cable modem) and gave the user only restricted access to some settings (naturally none of the modem-related ones, god forbid people could even see the measured SNR…). So this router was more than just 'branded'.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.3; WOW64; rv:31.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/31.0
GµårÐïåñ
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by GµårÐïåñ »

You are thinking AT&T U-Verse and Verizon FiOS modem/router units. They are a single unit and they are branded generally by 2Wire and yes they have the ability to do whatever they want on their end. However, they can't control your end of things (at least not directly) so some of the things you can still do, although quite limited. That's why if I am ever faced with such a situation, I turn of the routing feature, put it in BRIDGE mode so it will still operate as a mode, which you need to get the IP and authenticate on the ISP and then I put my own router that I have full unrestricted control over. Most people don't know how or find it too difficult, so that's what they bank on, not that their influence can't be bypassed or overridden. Does that help?
Opera/9.80 (Windows NT 5.2; U; en) Presto/2.2.15 Version/10.10
dhouwn
Bug Buster

Post by dhouwn »

I am not from the US (and neither did the story play out in the US) so the things you mentioned don't ring a bell for me. And I bet there was no briding option (sadly, many non-branded classic home routers don't offer that either) but yes what you described is a way to go. Alternatively, one should ask his/her ISP for a simple modem instead of a do-it-all thing.
Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Ubuntu; Linux x86_64; rv:30.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/30.0
GµårÐïåñ
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by GµårÐïåñ »

Although the brand name or the companies may not be the same as the US ones I mentioned, the principle of how they control the device is still valid and the same.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.3; Win64; x64; rv:28.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/28.0 Waterfox/28.0