Can someone check this software?

General discussion about web technology.
nagan

Can someone check this software?

Post by nagan »

Hi,
I have been using InstallWatch to compile changes made to disk and registry and it had adapted well to the Win7 x 64 system too. For the past few days the program seems to malfunction at a particular registry key and I have posted the issue here . Please excuse for not reproducing the verbatim post here as images :evil: have to be hosted separately and linked.
Might be you can test and give a possible solution. My suspicion is it would work as well in Windows 8.
Dreams are REAL possibilities. Pursue them with zest and you can make them HAPPEN!
You are GOD.Realize THAT!
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 5.1; rv:17.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/17.0
nagan

Re: Can someone check this software?

Post by nagan »

Wrong forum or wrong post?? Or is it that everyone is too busy ;) The software is only 3.5mb . Never mind!
Dreams are REAL possibilities. Pursue them with zest and you can make them HAPPEN!
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; WOW64; rv:17.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/17.0
therube
Ambassador

Post by therube »

When I run InCtrl5 sandboxed (Sandboxie), I need to exclude (in InCtrl) the (virtual) registry key; HKEY_USERS\sandbox_therube_defaultbox or else I would loop eternally once it got there.

Assume I'm running into the same situation with IW. I set it to only scan my E: (system) drive (otherwise it would take way too long to scan through the rest of my drives) & it looks like it will never finish scanning the Registry. Can't tell where in particular it is looping (other then HKEY_USERS) & I didn't see a way to exclude particular registry keys.

(Running this sandboxed on XP.)
(No, it will never finish, instead looping forever. Cannot even get a Snapshot to complete.)

These days, for many apps, I would think disk changes would be less important to know about compared to registry changes. And for that, RegFromApp could come in handy. (What I do, is to point RegFromApp to the program installer that you'd want to monitor, which then starts the install, & will track the registry changes thereof.)

There are other program around. The old Regshot program & then there have been newer offshoots of that, RU I think they are, but I haven't really tested the newer ones.

(A quick look finds this, regshot-2.0.1.70.rar. Try at your own risk.)

These days, I most often will either try do extract from the installer directly or run the installer sandboxed & take things from there. (Sandboxie is far more limited, far more a PITA, on Win7 & x64 IMO compared to XP.)

Some notes I had made a couple years back:

Code: Select all

downloaded twice, one zip, one rar

exactly the same
	except one had no default language (& so defaulted to Russian?)
	& the other defaulted to English (this is set in regshot.ini)

has both 32 & 64-bit versions

Release didn't work, saying, "its side-by-side configuration is incorrect"

ReleaseStatic did work

seemingly all that are needed is:
	english.bmp  (& it can be left out, if wanted)
	language.ini (& it can be cut down to only English)
	Regshot.exe
	regshot.ini

NOTE: that it defaults to storing reports in %SYSDRIVE%\Hive (as in like
      E:\Hive) - will want to change that!  (& also add in the SANDBOX
      exclusions that i've used)

http://regshot.ru/ doesn't seem to be there at this time

"Regshot v2.0.1.70 Unicode" looks to be a good alternative
http://bbs.betabbs.com/index.php?showtopic=61050

NOTE: that portableapps.com says, "The Russian fork <i.e. 2.0.1.70> is a
      mod of the GPL standard version that does not provide the modified
      source code. So, it's basically an illegal package that may have
      additional nasty things included. As such, it should definitely not
      be used."

BUT: the old 1.8.2 looks not to work (SANDBOXED) - left running it chews
     up memory (i stopped it at 761MB) & CPU.  it DOES work fine *NOT*
     SANDBOXED, but it is in the SANDBOX that i most likely want it to
     work

PortableApps.com
http://portableapps.com/apps/utilities/regshot_portable
http://portableapps.com/news/2010-12-14_-_regshot_portable_1.8.2
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.19) Gecko/20110420 SeaMonkey/2.0.14 Pinball NoScript FlashGot AdblockPlus
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 5.1; rv:19.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/19.0 SeaMonkey/2.16a2
therube
Ambassador

Post by therube »

Actually I can get IW to run if I only select HKLM as the registry key to monitor.

Don't care for its reporting. No (easy) way that I saw to get a comprehensive listing of all changes. (You'd need to export each section individually.)

(It did happen to see my SeaMonkey .mar update ;-).)
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.19) Gecko/20110420 SeaMonkey/2.0.14 Pinball NoScript FlashGot AdblockPlus
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 5.1; rv:19.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/19.0 SeaMonkey/2.16a2
nagan

Post by nagan »

Hi therube,
Thanks for taking your time. But I would as well challenge that you can rarely find an effective/fast Disk , Registry monitor in the web right now.Yes exporting each section independently is a drawback. I have played around with it , tested it , added , modified keys at a very recursive level in XP and it would just dish it out effectively.
Would you try it out as I mention here:-
This is certainly not a suspicious file..Also available @ http://www.filefactory.com/file/719a16i ... hPro25_exe
1.Test it in a NORMAL ENVIRONMENT no SAFE or SANDBOXIE.
2.Exclude all Disks to be monitored.
3.Set to monitor only the registry.
4.After running the snapshot , run the analysis.
Let us know what you get.. And please mention the environment..
Sometimes terrific software makers leave it and go MIA , just like Mr Void of EVERYTHING , where I think you were active... ;) By the way any info on Void? Does the ETP Server mechanism work for you...?
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; WOW64; rv:17.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/17.0
therube
Ambassador

Post by therube »

> By the way any info on Void?

Nope.

> Does the ETP Server mechanism work for you...?

I've never used it, so not familiar with it.

Along the lines of Everything, an interesting software, WizTree.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; WOW64; rv:19.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/19.0 SeaMonkey/2.16a2