Shoud pics be included in the Guides?

Discussion about the board itself, forums organization and site bugs.
GµårÐïåñ
Lieutenant Colonel

Shoud pics be included in the Guides?

Post by GµårÐïåñ »

A quick question, since the beginners guide, thanks to Tom and others, has been such a hit, does anyone think it might be nice to add some "visual" accompany in the form of screenshots? I know it sounds lame but you'd be surprised and if consensus is yes, I'd be happy to do the legwork on that and have Tom integrate it into his post. What do you think? If not, then forget I said anything :P
~.:[ Lï£ê ï§ å Lêmðñ åñÐ Ì Wåñ† M¥ Mðñê¥ ßå¢k ]:.~
________________ .: [ Major Mike's ] :. ________________
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.1; en-US; rv:1.9.0.8) Gecko/2009032609 Firefox/3.0.8 NoScript/1.9.1.7 FlashGot/1.1.8.5 FirePHP/0.2.4
Tom T.
Field Marshal

Re: Shoud pics be included in the Guides?

Post by Tom T. »

GµårÐïåñ wrote:A quick question, since the beginners guide, thanks to Tom and others, has been such a hit, does anyone think it might be nice to add some "visual" accompany in the form of screenshots? I know it sounds lame but you'd be surprised and if consensus is yes, I'd be happy to do the legwork on that and have Tom integrate it into his post. What do you think? If not, then forget I said anything :P
(I moved this because it was discussion about the Guides rather than answering any particular issue. Hope you don't mind.)

Nothing lame at all. One picture is worth a thousand words. I would like to keep the Quick Start guide as compact as possible, since it is "quick", and because there is a video at NS Home, plus Giorgio has talked of a first-run splash screen with the Guide, links to FAQ, etc. But a few compact pics can't hurt. Anyone object?

Also please consider in the Sync Guide, Average-User version. Since it can be risky to edit files like prefs.js, a shot showing which lines to edit would be useful, as well as the location of the file in the folder. I can make those shots. Would you host them on your site so I can link, or where is the quickest, easiest, free image-hosting site?

Comments, objections? Giorgio? Anyone else?

Thanks for the great ideas and willingness to do the legwork, Guard. Cheers.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US and very good at it, so please write properly; rv:1.8.1.20) Gecko/20081217 Firefox/2.0.0.20 which is much better than 3.x
GµårÐïåñ
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by GµårÐïåñ »

I don't mind at all, I was just keeping it in the same area as the discussion for the guide since I thought it was related but this is fine too. :| The reason I thought it might be lame is that you were going for compact and quick but also in the spirit of a picture being worth a thousand word I figured what the heck, I ask. :lol: Ultimately the boss's call and I welcome the input, however it is decided I am fine with it, just let me know. :geek: I know we have tons of guides and even video by Giorgio but you'd be amazed how lazy users are, just trying to maximize the saturation of information I guess :lol:
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.1; en-US; rv:1.9.0.8) Gecko/2009032609 Firefox/3.0.8 NoScript/1.9.1.7 FlashGot/1.1.8.5 FirePHP/0.2.4
Alan Baxter
Ambassador

Post by Alan Baxter »

Tom T. wrote:there is a video at NS Home
I can't find it. What page is it on?

There's plenty of screenshots on the Features page. Lots of other great documentation on the NoScript site. I don't see the point of duplicating it. But I don't want to stifle creative energy with negativity either. I guess we'll see what Giorgio says.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.9.0.8) Gecko/2009032609 Firefox/3.0.8
GµårÐïåñ
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by GµårÐïåñ »

Alan my friend, nothing creative about it :lol: trust me I don't need the work, so not negative at all (that's why I asked, for feedback), I was just suggesting in the spirit of making sure we have the best possible support. Either way is fine with me but as you said we'll see what Giorgio thinks and take it from there. :|
Tom T.
Field Marshal

Post by Tom T. »

Alan Baxter wrote:
Tom T. wrote:there is a video at NS Home
I can't find it. What page is it on?
Umm, on the, uh, "Home" page. http://noscript.net
This is the second time that I've been uncharacteristically careless with language with you, Alan. :shock: Sorry. I should have said,
"There is a link to a video at NS Home", and also clarified that I meant specifically the home page of NoScript, not the "home" linked from there, which is the home of informaction.com.
Starting from upper left of text, fourth paragraph,
Watch the "Using NoScript" video kindly contributed by John Wilkerson.
GµårÐïåñ wrote: but you'd be amazed how lazy users are,
I'm the one who pushed for, and wrote, the Quick Start guide because people were shying away from NS or giving up on it without reading FAQ or posting, and you think *I'd* be amazed? Surely you jest! :D
Last edited by Tom T. on Thu Apr 09, 2009 5:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: add reply to guardian
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US and very good at it, so please write properly; rv:1.8.1.20) Gecko/20081217 Firefox/2.0.0.20 which is much better than 3.x
Alan Baxter
Ambassador

Post by Alan Baxter »

@GµårÐïåñ:
copacetic.

@Tom:
Thanks for the pointer. Loading it now.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.9.0.8) Gecko/2009032609 Firefox/3.0.8
GµårÐïåñ
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by GµårÐïåñ »

@Alan, Thank you we are cool.

@Tom, yeah I know that video although I must admit that I have not actually watched it, :oops: