moderation question split from t=24223

Discussion about the board itself, forums organization and site bugs.
Wfoxie

moderation question split from t=24223

Post by Wfoxie »

barbaz, I tried to create a thread in ‚NoScript Support‘ section about this newer issue because it was not directly related to this 'Lost years...' thread. Because the issue I am experiencing is different than this main thread, I fear it may not be addressed. I thought the ‚Support‘ section is to report bugs per the hackademix.net page.

According to rule #8, "The exception to this rule is if you start a new thread and are given a link to another thread that sounds similar, where you may discuss in the linked thread as well if you like." I did just that by creating a thread in the support forum for a similar but different issue than the main thread. Therefore, I do not think I broke any rules.
Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Ubuntu; Linux x86_64; rv:57.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/57.0
barbaz

Re: moderation question split from t=24223

Post by barbaz »

Wfoxie wrote:barbaz, I tried to create a thread in ‚NoScript Support‘ section about this newer issue because it was not directly related to this 'Lost years...' thread. Because the issue I am experiencing is different than this main thread, I fear it may not be addressed.
If you think it is actually a different issue, your post should be split to a new thread. In such case, please report your own post and explain this, and we'll take appropriate action.
Wfoxie wrote:According to rule #8, "The exception to this rule is if you start a new thread and are given a link to another thread that sounds similar, where you may discuss in the linked thread as well if you like." I did just that by creating a thread
err, no, The part you quoted says nothing about when it's appropriate to create new threads.
Wfoxie wrote:creating a thread in the support forum for a similar but different issue than the main thread. Therefore, I do not think I broke any rules.
You are right that the post by itself does not break any rules. The rule-breaking is that it is a duplicate.

If you rather we unlock your new thread and remove your original post, that would work too.

Let us know, thanks.
*Always* check the changelogs BEFORE updating that important software!
-
Giorgio Maone
Site Admin

Post by Giorgio Maone »

barbaz wrote: The rule-breaking is that it is a duplicate.
I actually think there's been a tiny misunderstanding here due to Wfoxie introducing his new thread with the words "this was originally reported in my post etc...".
Yes, he reported the same issue (inability to auto-update) in another post, but it was in the context of a different topic on a different issue (data migration), so his original post was off-topic, and IMHO the best course was actually creating a new dedicated topic as he did, and in my view that's not a duplicated topic (even though it's arguably a duplicated post).
So I've just unlocked it and I'll answer there briefly, thank you both for your patience.

[EDIT]
I've just realized that's exactly what barbaz asked Wfoxie to decide. Sorry for having taken the decision myself, but I suspect I'm not the only one having overlooked barbaz's last sentence ;)
I'm gonna delete the post as well, per barbaz's suggestion, so it doesn't picked up by anybody else and make the original topic confusing again.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:57.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/57.0
barbaz

Post by barbaz »

Thanks Giorgio for taking care of this. 8-)
*Always* check the changelogs BEFORE updating that important software!
-