Shouldn't we come to the rescue here?

Discussion about the board itself, forums organization and site bugs.
Tom T.
Field Marshal

Re: Shouldn't we come to the rescue here?

Post by Tom T. »

computerfreaker wrote:Thanks for the sublety, GµårÐïåñ... I noticed your emphasis on that phrase, and began to feel uncomfortable... and then I read Tom T.'s post and truly felt like a fool for not being able to find the darn post. (Don't worry, a good smack upside the head every once in awhile is good for me... :))
No head smack, no worries! We have ATM 1,985 registered members, plus thousands of posts by unregistered guests, and the Forum Rules have been viewed 774 times ATM, which would include our own views to review and edit it, etc. Do the math...... :cry: (ATM = At The (or This) Moment. ;) )

I admit I don't read forum rules at most other ones that I visit, as most are pretty much the same. No spam, no nasties, etc. However, I'm going to suggest that they be in the Board Index, i. e. on the main page as soon as you come here, not just in each individual sub-forum. That would add some visibility, as by the time people get to the sub-forum they're looking for, they're ready and eager to post.

Wikipedia has a good policy that all acronyms should be spelled out the first time in any given article, after which the acronym may be used. Considering the global audience of the Net, not everyone will know acronyms that "everyone" knows. As moderators, we probably should follow the same policy; even if the OP (Original Poster 8-) ) uses the acronym, another user who reads later might not know it. I'll suggest that. Thanks for some ideas that might help to improve the forum.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.8.1.20) Gecko/20081217 Firefox/2.0.0.20
GµårÐïåñ
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by GµårÐïåñ »

Yeah no worries. I know how it is when you are a member of so many places that you even forget what you have said and haven't and sometimes leave people out thinking you said it but haven't yet, it happens. As Tom said, no smack, we have alot of people of such a wide background, it is bound to happen that we have to repeat ourselves, no biggie. Now you know.
~.:[ Lï£ê ï§ å Lêmðñ åñÐ Ì Wåñ† M¥ Mðñê¥ ßå¢k ]:.~
________________ .: [ Major Mike's ] :. ________________
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.3) Gecko/20090824 Firefox/3.5.3
computerfreaker

Post by computerfreaker »

Tom T. wrote:No head smack, no worries! We have ATM 1,985 registered members, plus thousands of posts by unregistered guests, and the Forum Rules have been viewed 774 times ATM, which would include our own views to review and edit it, etc. Do the math...... :cry: (ATM = At The (or This) Moment. ;) )
Wow, that math isn't beautiful...
Tom T. wrote:I admit I don't read forum rules at most other ones that I visit, as most are pretty much the same. No spam, no nasties, etc. However, I'm going to suggest that they be in the Board Index, i. e. on the main page as soon as you come here, not just in each individual sub-forum. That would add some visibility, as by the time people get to the sub-forum they're looking for, they're ready and eager to post.

Wikipedia has a good policy that all acronyms should be spelled out the first time in any given article, after which the acronym may be used. Considering the global audience of the Net, not everyone will know acronyms that "everyone" knows. As moderators, we probably should follow the same policy; even if the OP (Original Poster 8-) ) uses the acronym, another user who reads later might not know it. I'll suggest that. Thanks for some ideas that might help to improve the forum.
I try to read the forum rules on every forum I visit, but I visit a lot of forums, and I frequently get rules mixed up... (especially since the basics, as you mentioned, are pretty much the same - no spam, no fighting, no bad words, etc. etc. etc.)
(Side note, I've been on the giving & receiving end of acronym confusion before... it happens a lot, in my limited experience - I think that Wikipedia policy is probably a good one)
GµårÐïåñ wrote:Yeah no worries. I know how it is when you are a member of so many places that you even forget what you have said and haven't and sometimes leave people out thinking you said it but haven't yet, it happens. As Tom said, no smack, we have alot of people of such a wide background, it is bound to happen that we have to repeat ourselves, no biggie. Now you know.
Thanks for the patience, as a forum admin I know it's hard to be patient sometimes :)
With great power comes great responsibility.
Learn something new every day, and the rest will take care of itself.
Life is a journey, not a destination. Enjoy the trip!
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.9.0.13) Gecko/2009073022 Firefox/3.0.13
Tom T.
Field Marshal

Post by Tom T. »

computerfreaker wrote:(Side note, I've been on the giving & receiving end of acronym confusion before... it happens a lot, in my limited experience - I think that Wikipedia policy is probably a good one)
There's an old joke about that:
PCMCIA = Personal Computer Memory Card International Association (IIRC). The joke is that it stands for
PCMCIA = People Can't Memorize Computer Industry Acronyms :lol:

I could remember them better if I could upgrade my brain with more RAM -- or is it DRAM -- or SDRAM -- DDR1 or DDR2 or DDR3? 200-pin DIMM? ... etc. :o
computerfreaker wrote:Thanks for the patience, as a forum admin I know it's hard to be patient sometimes :)
Having to explain an acronym is the *least* of our patience-testers -- Trust me! :D
Love to see the forum you admin. You can PM it to me so no one accuses you of making 35 legitimate posts just so you can spam your product or forum. :mrgreen:
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.8.1.20) Gecko/20081217 Firefox/2.0.0.20
GµårÐïåñ
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by GµårÐïåñ »

Trust me, we know full well the difficulty of being patient, but its part of the job description, like it or not. :)
~.:[ Lï£ê ï§ å Lêmðñ åñÐ Ì Wåñ† M¥ Mðñê¥ ßå¢k ]:.~
________________ .: [ Major Mike's ] :. ________________
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.3) Gecko/20090824 Firefox/3.5.3
computerfreaker

Post by computerfreaker »

Tom T. wrote:
computerfreaker wrote:(Side note, I've been on the giving & receiving end of acronym confusion before... it happens a lot, in my limited experience - I think that Wikipedia policy is probably a good one)
There's an old joke about that:
PCMCIA = Personal Computer Memory Card International Association (IIRC). The joke is that it stands for
PCMCIA = People Can't Memorize Computer Industry Acronyms :lol:

I could remember them better if I could upgrade my brain with more RAM -- or is it DRAM -- or SDRAM -- DDR1 or DDR2 or DDR3? 200-pin DIMM? ... etc. :o
rofl... I'm familiar with that PCMCIA joke, but I still have to laugh at it... :lol:
Tom T. wrote:
computerfreaker wrote:Thanks for the patience, as a forum admin I know it's hard to be patient sometimes :)
Having to explain an acronym is the *least* of our patience-testers -- Trust me! :D
Love to see the forum you admin. You can PM it to me so no one accuses you of making 35 legitimate posts just so you can spam your product or forum. :mrgreen:
Sure, check your PM :)
I'm actually not the site admin, just assisting a good friend of mine...
GµårÐïåñ wrote:Trust me, we know full well the difficulty of being patient, but its part of the job description, like it or not. :)
True...
Speaking of job description, I'm heading to the Security forum to create a new thread about my biggest admin headache - spambots...

Cheers!

With great power comes great responsibility.
Learn something new every day, and the rest will take care of itself.
Life is a journey, not a destination. Enjoy the trip!
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.9.0.13) Gecko/2009073022 Firefox/3.0.13