Why is "Yahoo (bot)" browsing this forum?

Discussion about the board itself, forums organization and site bugs.
Tom T.
Field Marshal

Why is "Yahoo (bot)" browsing this forum?

Post by Tom T. »

Just noticed on the bottom. Does that mean we are about to get spammed?

Edit: Just noticed that msn bot stopped by briefly also. Are they legitimate search crawlers?
Last edited by Tom T. on Sun Mar 29, 2009 4:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: add msn
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.8.1.20) Gecko/20081217 Firefox/2.0.0.20
GµårÐïåñ
Lieutenant Colonel

Re: Why is "Yahoo (bot)" browsing this forum?

Post by GµårÐïåñ »

Tom T. wrote:Just noticed on the bottom. Does that mean we are about to get spammed?

Edit: Just noticed that msn bot stopped by briefly also. Are they legitimate search crawlers?
Search engine bots, like Yahoo, Live, Google, always crawl the internet to cache and look for content. Its normal. Also do more malicious ones looking and harvesting for links, emails and so on as well.
~.:[ Lï£ê ï§ å Lêmðñ åñÐ Ì Wåñ† M¥ Mðñê¥ ßå¢k ]:.~
________________ .: [ Major Mike's ] :. ________________
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.1; en-US; rv:1.9.0.8) Gecko/2009032609 Firefox/3.0.8
Tom T.
Field Marshal

Post by Tom T. »

Right, I was familiar with the phenomenon, both good and evil. Just didn't know they'd show as "browsing this forum", so I must have never noticed it before. It's night in the US, maybe a lower-traffic time for them to get out and about. Thanks for confirming.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.8.1.20) Gecko/20081217 Firefox/2.0.0.20
GµårÐïåñ
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by GµårÐïåñ »

Tom T. wrote:Right, I was familiar with the phenomenon, both good and evil. Just didn't know they'd show as "browsing this forum", so I must have never noticed it before. It's night in the US, maybe a lower-traffic time for them to get out and about. Thanks for confirming.
I am sorry, I wasn't teaching you the concept of good and evil :roll: geez must you be so mean? :P and yeah I have seen them, they show up but most, including me hardly pay attention to that section, I think at least. I have seen them at all times and hours but generally probably they hit the web when they consider it to be a lower traffic time as to not eat up bandwidth I suppose. Not sure on that one, you are welcome. I am going to hit the sack in a bit, had a long day so if I don't catch you again tonight, have a good one.
~.:[ Lï£ê ï§ å Lêmðñ åñÐ Ì Wåñ† M¥ Mðñê¥ ßå¢k ]:.~
________________ .: [ Major Mike's ] :. ________________
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.1; en-US; rv:1.9.0.8) Gecko/2009032609 Firefox/3.0.8