[DONE] General troubleshooting instructions needs update?

Discussion about the board itself, forums organization and site bugs.
barbaz

[DONE] General troubleshooting instructions needs update?

Post by barbaz »

viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1431

We've had a couple incidents recently where a lot of people report the same odd behavior in NoScript, and both proved to be caused by malware. Time to add something like this as point #2?
If you are having a particularly odd issue with NoScript not functioning properly, or you are seeing the same domain(s) in the menu on every site, scan your system for malware. Here are some suggestions.
Windows users: use both your antivirus and a tool like Malwarebytes Anti-Malware (the free version will do); if that doesn't get it, try yet another type of malware scanner, e.g. AdwCleaner and/or Junk Removal Tool. Daifne @ mozillaZine forums also has some good suggestions.
Mac users: try ClamXav.
Linux/*BSD users: try ClamAV (which should be available via your OS's package manager).

Disclaimer: Neither InformAction Forums nor anyone on forum staff is in control of these programs, and they are not endorsed by InformAction Forums. We cannot take responsibility for what they do or how well they work. Use at your own risk.
My main concern is that this may be seen by some as an endorsement of these products by the board... but given that I don't know Giorgio's opinion of these tools, or if he's even tried them - he and/or the board may not endorse them...

(And would any of the registry cleaning type programs Giorgio actually does endorse, e.g. Uniblue, help here? If we do add those we should let Giorgio decide on the link and include a warning that it's paid software.)
*Always* check the changelogs BEFORE updating that important software!
-
Thrawn
Master Bug Buster

Re: General troubleshooting instructions needs update?

Post by Thrawn »

Maybe add a disclaimer? Something along the lines of, these are just some options for anti-virus programs, we don't control them and can't take responsibility for whether or how well they work.
======
Thrawn
------------
Religion is not the opium of the masses. Daily life is the opium of the masses.

True religion, which dares to acknowledge death and challenge the way we live, is an attempt to wake up.
Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Ubuntu; Linux x86_64; rv:38.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/38.0
barbaz

Post by barbaz »

Thrawn wrote:Maybe add a disclaimer? Something along the lines of, these are just some options for anti-virus programs, we don't control them and can't take responsibility for whether or how well they work.
Edited one in above.

It just occurred to me, I could swear there is a sticky somewhere on mozillaZine listing a whole lot more antivirus/antimalware solutions than I've listed. I think it would be helpful to provide a link to it, but I can't find it, especially since mozillaZine's Google search is not working. Anyone else?
-
Thrawn
Master Bug Buster

Post by Thrawn »

======
Thrawn
------------
Religion is not the opium of the masses. Daily life is the opium of the masses.

True religion, which dares to acknowledge death and challenge the way we live, is an attempt to wake up.
Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Ubuntu; Linux x86_64; rv:38.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/38.0
barbaz

Post by barbaz »

While that looks like a good resource it is not what I had in mind. What I had in mind is definitely a post on mozillaZine forums which I think mentions spybot as well as the ones I have listed above, plus some others too...

I'll keep searching, in case I just happen to run across it...

EDIT Someone else quoted it with attribution - looks like the author is Moderator 'Daifne'. Hopefully that'll be enough to find it...
EDIT2 it's not one post but a set list she uses repeatedly...
EDIT3 ... and she seems to have updated it over time, so let's go with this link: http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic ... #p10902839
-
barbaz

Post by barbaz »

Added a link to Daifne's list.

If no one has any further comments within 24 hours or so, I'll go ahead and add this to General Troubleshooting instructions.
-
barbaz

Re: [DONE] General troubleshooting instructions needs update

Post by barbaz »

Done.
-
barbaz

Re: [DONE] General troubleshooting instructions needs update

Post by barbaz »

I've just learned that ClamXav for Mac OS X has become commercial software as of release version 2.8 (it used to be donationware). Due to this change I've replaced that suggestion with Malwarebytes Anti-Malware for Mac, which currently only a free version for personal use; IIUC the business edition & the paid/premium/pro version are still under development & not yet released.
I can't find any other pre-built easy-to-use ClamAV-based apps for OS X; and TMK neither InformAction nor NoScript nor anyone on forum staff are affiliated with ClamXav in a business sense, and even if any of us did I just don't feel right about trying making people pay money to try to resolve that nature of problem with free software.

(There appear to be some ClamAV packages in MacPorts, but MacPorts - and, for that matter, the command-line interface to ClamAV - are definitely advanced user's tools / not for everyone, so I think it's not reasonable to put in general troubleshooting instructions, which supposed to be accessible to everyone.)

EDIT Removed the link in the OP to the ClamXav site under the anti-spam rules.
-