Please change/remove the Uniblue ads

Discussion about the board itself, forums organization and site bugs.
access2godzilla

Please change/remove the Uniblue ads

Post by access2godzilla »

At the present, noscript.net contains ads which promote Uniblue software. IMO, Uniblue's ads should be removed from Noscript's website, due to the fact that it appears to be a fake piece of software.

It seems that Uniblue's software is not credible in any way, greatly exaggerating the number of issues (such as the size of temporary files and the number of registry errors). Testing on a fairly clean PC, the "junk files" is measured by Uniblue's software comes to 22.32 MB, while in reality it seems to come to ~200KB. It also shows some dubious speed issues (and it is not as if MS will use suboptimal settings in their software). The registry issues list seems to be a little truthful, though. The installer tries to foist AVG's toolbar onto the user (I understand that it can be opted out from, but such things should be always opt-in). The whole thing seems to be a bit like a FakeAV ($29.95 for your dubious piece of software? Hell no!)

I understand that advertising revenue is important, but my request is: please put ads for genuine products, rather than fake ones like this.

Aside: it seems that most installers with a Shannon's entropy of 2.134336 is adware or other such fake product.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 5.1) AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/27.0.1453.116 Safari/537.36
GµårÐïåñ
Lieutenant Colonel

Re: Please change/remove the Uniblue ads

Post by GµårÐïåñ »

LGrids wrote:Hoot wrote:...

It truly is a pitty that you folks need to use this junk to make money. I would have reccomended your product, had I not had such experience with this adware that installed with out my input or permission.
No such thing, nothing installs with NoScript, the ads are only on the site and you have to click to download them and install them willingly. So whatever you are trying say, you are full of it and need to buzz off. I am locking this topic to avoid any more trolling.
~.:[ Lï£ê ï§ å Lêmðñ åñÐ Ì Wåñ† M¥ Mðñê¥ ßå¢k ]:.~
________________ .: [ Major Mike's ] :. ________________
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; WOW64) AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/29.1.0.0 Safari/537.36
barbaz

Post by barbaz »

GµårÐïåñ wrote:So whatever you are trying say,
spammer. what they were trying to say was in the signature.
*Always* check the changelogs BEFORE updating that important software!
Mozilla/5.0 (Macintosh; Intel Mac OS X 10.7; rv:31.0) Gecko/20100101 SeaMonkey/2.28.2-unofficial-1
Giorgio Maone
Site Admin

Post by Giorgio Maone »

access2godzilla wrote:At the present, noscript.net contains ads which promote Uniblue software. IMO, Uniblue's ads should be removed from Noscript's website, due to the fact that it appears to be a fake piece of software.
Please allow me to disagree.
Uniblue is not a fake software house, and their software is not "fake". I know it for sure.
I happened to personally visit their headquarters in Malta, where I could physically met dozens of developers, testers, support people (yes, they had an in-house call center to handle support requests) and, admittedly, a very aggressive marketing department ;)
Before letting them advertising their products on my websites, I've carefully screened them for harmful behavior (i.e. damaging your system or stealing data) and found none.

Yes, their communication style is very loud, (or in your words, "exaggerate"), but in a certain sense I find it also adequate to the kind of audience it is tailored for, which is neither me nor you nor, probably, any power user who managed to keep NoScript installed more of 2-3 days with scripts globally forbidden.

But the vast majority of people visiting noscript.net entertain a very vague notion of "computer security", heard NoScript is good for your security but don't have the time, the patience and the analytic skills to fully take advantage of it, and will uninstall in minutes (actually, quite often, much later, after hours of cursing, when they finally realize what the add-on manager is for) or at best, will "Allow scripts globally".
Those people just want to "keep their PC clean and in order", and for those an antivirus and an unattended cleanup/maintenance tool like Uniblue's, which automates tasks which me and you are glad to perform manually, is the best we can hope to provide them here and now.
Education is a necessary but slow process, and while I aim, of course, to bring the best security to the masses (otherwise I wouldn't sit in W3C's Web Application Security Work Group trying to standardize ClearClick as an open web technology, rather than patenting it), this too takes time and a lot of work, which ultimately means money.
access2godzilla wrote: I understand that advertising revenue is important, but my request is: please put ads for genuine products
Uniblue does provide a real, genuine service to those (the vast majority) who don't have (and don't want) a clue about the Windows Registry, and at the same time contributes financially to advance cutting-edge security for those (a minority) who really need it and can bear it, and to make security bearable for the others in the long run.
In other words, even if you (as a member of a technological elite) believe you've got no use for Uniblue, it's helping you as well.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.3; WOW64; rv:33.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/33.0