smilies!

Discussion about the board itself, forums organization and site bugs.
Nan M
Ambassador

Re: smilies!

Post by Nan M »

Aha!
image.animation_mode none
Thanks Alan

purely in an information way of course

Got it, Tom T. And who's to say that how many followers a person has isn't vital information sharing? ;-)
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-GB; rv:1.9.0.7) Gecko/2009021910 Firefox/3.0.7
Tom T.
Field Marshal

Post by Tom T. »

"Thanks" are allowed even in tech support :D

Did you do the browser.blink?

Where does our profile show how many followers we have? And any charismatic demagogue can gain millions of followers. The Web prohibits the use of the "H-word" in negative metaphors, but how 'bout Charles Manson, Bernie Madoff, and a zillion others? Galileo had no followers, at least not openly -- he was threatened with torture and excommunication if he didn't recant his politically-incorrect belief that the Earth revolves around the Sun. Lots of other historical examples of people shunned for their beliefs, who later proved to be right. As J.P. Morgan, founder of one of the few surviving banks in the US, once said, "The public is always wrong."

Well, I've beaten that point to death. Sorry.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.8.1.20) Gecko/20081217 Firefox/2.0.0.20
Lundholm

Post by Lundholm »

Tom T. wrote:The logical fallacy of argumentum ad hominem suggests that a post should be judged strictly on its merits, not on who posted it, though of course that is useful secondary information. Therefore, therube's process (read the post, then back up to see who read it) is less likely to contaminate our first impressions of the post with the fact that we like member X and don't like member Y.
Maybe you don't want the read the post at all? :) Some existential questions come to mind: Why are email sender and recipients shown at the top? Why do email filters (and forum filters) allow the blocking of mail from certain individuals?

You may want to read a ban from the Pope, but maybe not one from the in-law. :D
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1b4pre) Gecko/20090324 Shiretoko/3.5b4pre
Tom T.
Field Marshal

Post by Tom T. »

Lundholm, I think we might be getting off point here. The user *name* is right there at the top, as it is in emails. But no avatars in my e-mail inbox, and no "clever" signatures that get tiresome to read the thousandth time. Alan was just praising the fact that those things you mentioned are right at the top, but the (distracting) avatars and sigs are over on the right, where they're more optional to read. I probably went a little too far in agreeing with him that the avatars and sigs are better off being not so obtrusive, but of course you're right, the name on the post should be where it is, at the top. That way, you know to skip mine. :lol:
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.8.1.20) Gecko/20081217 Firefox/2.0.0.20
Nan M
Ambassador

Post by Nan M »

Tom T. wrote:
Did you do the browser.blink?
Yes - it's an old friend from back when the managers were changing the name from Phoenix. 0.4? I remember poring over various people's user.js and usercontent.js files and realising just how good it was to have some say about web use.
Being normally fairly impatient with using the web, I used to import wholesale other people's user and content files rather than research the about:config stuff.
These days the kb articles make it a lot simpler to research, so I really should make some time to catch up.
I just found this little extension referred to in the kb about:config entry - should help me when I get around to it.
http://roachfiend.com/archives/category/extensions/
Installs workably in my Fx 2. I haven't tried it in 3 yet.
Mozilla/5.0 (Macintosh; U; PPC Mac OS X Mach-O; en-US; rv:1.8.1.20) Gecko/20081217 Firefox/2.0.0.20
Alan Baxter
Ambassador

Post by Alan Baxter »

Tom T. wrote:I was composing and editing my post while Alan posted his, which explains the overlap of content.
That's good to know. I would have assumed you didn't bother reading it because you're not my "friend". :P I just noticed the Adblock EasyList Forum has the user info on the right too. I've been on that board for two years, and didn't notice until now. :D

Back on topic. You might find the Smiley Xtra extension useful, Tom. I've heard other users recommend it.

Edit: Aargh! Just noticed there was a page 2 I hadn't read yet.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.9.0.7) Gecko/2009021910 Firefox/3.0.7
Tom T.
Field Marshal

Post by Tom T. »

Alan Baxter wrote:That's good to know. I would have assumed you didn't bother reading it because you're not my "friend". :P
Hear ye, hear ye! I have just added to my "friends" list (in alphabetical order, so as not to hurt anyone's feelings):

Alan Baxter
Lundholm
Nan M
Giorgio Maone (he'd darn well better be my friend, since he could pwn me with a single update. :o )
therube
Alan Baxter wrote:You might find the Smiley Xtra extension useful, Tom. I've heard other users recommend it.
Thanks, Alan. It does look interesting, but I would *still* like to know why I couldn't import a smiley from http://www.freesmileys.org/ using the standard BBC instructions for this forum. Also, the Smiley Xtra appears to import from one site only. If I could get the syntax correct, I would have a whole world of smileys from which to choose! High priority! :D
GµårÐïåñ
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by GµårÐïåñ »

Tom T. wrote:Thanks, Alan. It does look interesting, but I would *still* like to know why I couldn't import a smiley from http://www.freesmileys.org/ using the standard BBC instructions for this forum. Also, the Smiley Xtra appears to import from one site only. If I could get the syntax correct, I would have a whole world of smileys from which to choose! High priority! :D
I don't know if this helps but I had the same problem until I realized I was blocking the request inside of RequestPolicy. Once I granted that temporarily I was able to see it. I used one in a forum once and it was driving me nuts until I realized that. Hope it helps.
~.:[ Lï£ê ï§ å Lêmðñ åñÐ Ì Wåñ† M¥ Mðñê¥ ßå¢k ]:.~
________________ .: [ Major Mike's ] :. ________________
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.1; en-US; rv:1.9.0.7) Gecko/2009021910 Firefox/3.0.7
Tom T.
Field Marshal

Post by Tom T. »

Guardian, thanks for your reply. I don't use RequestPolicy. I'd like to, but it is not compatible with F2. I've asked the dev, and he didn't seem too interested in an F2 version. So that isn't the issue.

@ Giorgio: Is there something in this site that prevents importing an image? Or in NS, which is set to allow here? Am I making a syntax error? At first I got the error, "The dimensions of the image could not be determined". To fix the dimension error, according to the sources I could find, I did as follows:

{url=http://www.freesmileys.org][img width=30 height =30]http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys/smil ... ink004.gif[/img][/url}
(squiggly brackets used instead of square ones to keep the plain text, although I know there's a tag somewhere to do that).

I've tried it without the url tags, and that doesn't work either.
GµårÐïåñ
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by GµårÐïåñ »

Tom T. wrote:Guardian, thanks for your reply. I don't use RequestPolicy. I'd like to, but it is not compatible with F2. I've asked the dev, and he didn't seem too interested in an F2 version. So that isn't the issue.
Sorry about that, just thinking out loud.

Code: Select all

[img]http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys/smiley-eatdrink004.gif[/img]
the above listed code worked for me on another forum using this exact same forum software but here I tried it and got the same thing as you "It was not possible to determine the dimensions of the image." and no modification or trick made it work either, Giorgio, you think something got set in the site preferences preventing outside linking? I am not too familiar with this forum software and don't immediately have access to a dev test copy to check and see.

I was thinking of using it for a client, maybe if I can get it up and running fast enough, I can check and see if I can figure something out. Sorry I couldn't help more.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.1; en-US; rv:1.9.0.7) Gecko/2009021910 Firefox/3.0.7
therube
Ambassador

Post by therube »

I would assume that (at present?) [ IMG ] tag is disabled?
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.19) Gecko/20110420 SeaMonkey/2.0.14 Pinball NoScript FlashGot AdblockPlus
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.8.1.21) Gecko/20090303 SeaMonkey/1.1.15
Giorgio Maone
Site Admin

Post by Giorgio Maone »

Fixed :ugeek:
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.2; en-US; rv:1.9.0.7) Gecko/2009021910 Firefox/3.0.7 (.NET CLR 3.5.30729)
GµårÐïåñ
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by GµårÐïåñ »

Giorgio Maone wrote:Image
Fixed :ugeek:
Thank you, always the best. (replaced your image with the one that was not working) :P
Tom T.
Field Marshal

Post by Tom T. »

A toast to all involved! Thank you all for your help! (and for reassuring me that I'm not as dumb as I thought I was lol)

And to the OPs,
nagan wrote:Why do the Smilies appear to be slightly oval (as if tamped at the head)
purlouy wrote:Yes, phpBB3 smilies are really ugly !
sureideas wrote:I cannot agree more with you.. It is really ugly
Your problems are solved! Beautiful smileys to your hearts' contents! (uh, keep it clean lol)
GµårÐïåñ
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by GµårÐïåñ »

Tom T. wrote:(and for reassuring me that I'm not as dumb as I thought I was lol)
You should never think like that, we are all here to help out each other, if we can't cut each other some slack, then what's the point, right? You wanna talk about feeling dumb, try being me and posting it and wondering why the heck it won't come up and then realize OOPS I have RequestPolicy blocking it, now that's a bonehead move. Cheers.