smilies!

Discussion about the board itself, forums organization and site bugs.
AlphaCentauri

Re: smilies!

Post by AlphaCentauri »

It's pretty important to understand who posted a message when you go to answer it. Are they regulars, so you can assume they know certain things, or are they newbies? And for the regulars, by noticing what they have posted in the past you form an idea of what their background knowledge is. For instance, you don't want to insult a tech person by explaining how to set preferences in Firefox, but you don't want to lose a new internet user by just telling them to do it without explaining how. A vital forum has users of many skill levels joining and learning as they continue to visit.

I do kind of like the avatar-on-the-right setup, once I get used to it. If someone "breaks" the forum by posting a long line of code that makes posts run off the right of the screen, you may not have to side scroll as much to read the message text this way.

I prefer using the SkyLineBlue skin on another forum where I am a moderator because of the additional data it displays on the member list, but since I'm not a mod on this forum, it's not an issue. On the other hand, this skin makes it much easier to adjust type size for people who have trouble with tiny print.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; rv:1.9.1b4pre) Gecko/20090323 SeaMonkey/2.0b1pre
GµårÐïåñ
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by GµårÐïåñ »

Good to have you here, welcome and some good points there. I am personally getting adjusted to the Avatar on the right too but it hasn't been too much of an issue yet, sometimes its fun to step out of the norm. The current skin is functional and clean but I am sure in time when Giorgio has more time, he might play with it a bit. :ugeek:
~.:[ Lï£ê ï§ å Lêmðñ åñÐ Ì Wåñ† M¥ Mðñê¥ ßå¢k ]:.~
________________ .: [ Major Mike's ] :. ________________
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.1; en-US; rv:1.9.0.7) Gecko/2009021910 Firefox/3.0.7
Tom T.
Field Marshal

Post by Tom T. »

@AlphaCentauri: Nice to have a *star* on board!

Concur with Guardian that you bring up some very good points. One problem has been (not here, necessarily), that some people go hog-wild with their avatars, often animated, huge, or otherwise distracting, and sometimes the sigs get a little out of hand too. It's my first experience with user-on-right, and I like it. Good point about less scrolling. I've seen fora where the user could choose the skin they liked best. Don't know how complicated that is to implement, but overall I find this one very eye-friendly with the pastel backgrounds.

One logical point: You show two posts, so do we assume you're a newb? No, actually have to *read* your message to see that obviously you're at a higher knowledge level (being a Mod elsewhere, e. g.). Or someone could be extremely knowledgeable, but not post frequently to any particular forum, or post a little to many fora, or just too busy to follow regularly. So without further research, maybe # of posts isn't reliable.

<disclaimer>I post here a lot since the new forum started (the old one was unwieldy), but while I'm familiar with NS features, etc., I'm not a programmer and can't read or write JavaScript, Java, Perl, Python, Asp (hey, that was a pretty clever pun -- .asp = "active server page", and Python/Asp are both snakes :D ) C, C+, C++, C minus, C#, or Cb, but I'm very good at reading 36-C, and novice level in DOS and HTML.</disclaimer>

Cheers! Image
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.8.1.20) Gecko/20081217 Firefox/2.0.0.20
GµårÐïåñ
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by GµårÐïåñ »

Tom T. wrote:@AlphaCentauri: Nice to have a *star* on board!
Not JUST a star, a binary star and a bright one at that ;)
One logical point: You show two posts, so do we assume you're a newb? No, actually have to *read* your message to see that obviously you're at a higher knowledge level (being a Mod elsewhere, e. g.). Or someone could be extremely knowledgeable, but not post frequently to any particular forum, or post a little to many fora, or just too busy to follow regularly. So without further research, maybe # of posts isn't reliable.
Using post counts for both reasons provided by my good friend Tom and also you (α Cen) will be a bad way to gauge proficiency. Some only speak when they have something to offer, some are passive but knowledgeable, some defer out of respect, so its hard to know really. You mostly find out when you get to know them on a board for a while.

I know enough to get into trouble and get out of it but I always maintain that I don't know enough. As long as I live, I will be learning, even though I have developed for nearly 20 years starting at the age of 14 with Basic, then QBasic, so on and VB 3.0 to .NET 2008, C#, C++, Java, HTML/ASP/JSP/some PHP/CGI (Perl)/Cobol/some Fortran/Some Pascal, I am learning each and every day new stuff where I can get it and when I can find time, I have done all avenues of software, security/financial/educational/system/server, backend/frontend, client/server, statistical/research and I have done hardware too, but you know what; all that means ZIP to me, I still think what I know is a DOT in the ocean of knowledge and so I will always maintain a certain level of humility because there are those I consider know more than me and I can always learn from someone better.

Now if you say this out loud, you get two reactions. One is to say he is full of it, arrogant, this and that and the other is WOW. I don't like either and therefore the only way to know what I know and what you need to tell me and what I can put together on my own and what I can contribute can only be achieved in getting to know me and continued communication with me over time. Anyway, I am done here, geez it ended up long, sorry everyone. :oops:
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.1; en-US; rv:1.9.0.7) Gecko/2009021910 Firefox/3.0.7
Tom T.
Field Marshal

Post by Tom T. »

GµårÐïåñ wrote:Now if you say this out loud, you get two reactions. One is to say he is full of it, arrogant, this and that and the other is WOW.
There is a third possible reaction: "Nice of him to share his background with us, so we know where he's coming from". That was my reaction.

Too long? Nothing's too long if it's interesting. One can always skip the rest at any time. I'm rather prolix myself, and relieved to know that no one is forced at gunpoint to read everything I write. :D
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.8.1.20) Gecko/20081217 Firefox/2.0.0.20
GµårÐïåñ
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by GµårÐïåñ »

Tom T. wrote:There is a third possible reaction: "Nice of him to share his background with us, so we know where he's coming from". That was my reaction.
Well Thank you sir, you are a true gentleman. It is very kind. :)
Too long? Nothing's too long if it's interesting. One can always skip the rest at any time. I'm rather prolix myself, and relieved to know that no one is forced at gunpoint to read everything I write. :D
Sounds good, I can hope to keep it interesting.