Problem with subscribing to a forum

Discussion about the board itself, forums organization and site bugs.
Nan M
Ambassador

Re: Problem with subscribing to a forum

Post by Nan M »

Hi Lundholm
Lundholm wrote: I finally received a mail. Maybe the siesta timer? :)
There are few forum mail links that work without delay.
The Mozilla one, for example, is very unpredictable :-)
There is one board I read where mails bank up over days. But they have no $$ and their service provider is very cranky.
Nice to read you here.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-GB; rv:1.9.0.7) Gecko/2009021910 Firefox/3.0.7
Giorgio Maone
Site Admin

Post by Giorgio Maone »

Tom T. wrote:I see this board doesn't read sw profile.
It does know, thanks for noticing ;)
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.2; en-US; rv:1.9.0.7) Gecko/2009021910 Firefox/3.0.7 (.NET CLR 3.5.30729)
Alan Baxter
Ambassador

Post by Alan Baxter »

Giorgio Maone wrote:Subscription is working fine for me, both to forum and single topics.
The fact you're getting other kinds of email from the forum should exclude spam filtering issues.
Could you check your email preferences in User Control Panel|Board Settings?
I never received any email from the forum at all. Was I suppposed to?

I haven't changed any of my forum settings, but, while I'm composing this I just received my first email from the forum, a notification for therube's most recent post in the "NoScript Support" forum. It looks like whatever was broken might be fixed now. Thanks.
You are receiving this notification because you are watching the forum,
"NoScript Support" at "InformAction Forums". This forum has received a new
reply to the topic "Dynamically Sized Webpages Cause Display Looping" since
your last visit. You can use the following link to view the last unread
reply, no more notifications will be sent until you visit the topic.

http://forums.informaction.com/viewtopi ... &p=82&e=82
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.9.0.7) Gecko/2009021910 Firefox/3.0.7
Tom T.
Field Marshal

Post by Tom T. »

OK, quick break from life, and hurray! :D I have two notifications from shortly after my posts of about 8 hours ago. They went to the Spam folder, but that's an easy fix. So notifications to Yahoo are fine for this user.

Thanks for clearing up the "CP > Subscriptions" checkbox issue.
Giorgio Maone wrote:
Tom T. wrote:I see this board doesn't read sw profile.
It does know, thanks for noticing ;)
It didn't *know* (have knowledge, conoscere). I think perhaps you meant "it does *now* (adesso) :ugeek:

On the other hand, I only *just now* (proprio ora) understood the extremely clever pun in your nickname: ma1, which I always read as "m - a - 1".
Ahhhh, it's "Maone", "M-A-"ONE". :oops: *Very* clever, Signore! And it took me only two years to figure it out -- probably about the millionth person to get it. That's what I get for (trying to) pronounce it in my mind in Italian, "Ma-oney", rhymes with "phony", "Sony" (TV/computers), "baloney" (US corruption of "Bologna" sandwich meat").

Back on topic: Thanks for fixing e-mail notifications of topic replies.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.8.1.20) Gecko/20081217 Firefox/2.0.0.20
Giorgio Maone
Site Admin

Post by Giorgio Maone »

Tom T. wrote:It didn't *know* (have knowledge, conoscere). I think perhaps you meant "it does *now* (adesso) :ugeek:
Eye no, eye no. 8-)
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.2; en-US; rv:1.9.0.7) Gecko/2009021910 Firefox/3.0.7 (.NET CLR 3.5.30729)
therube
Ambassador

Post by therube »

while I'm composing this I just received my first email from the forum, a notification for therube's most recent post
That's it. Blame ME for the SPAM you're now getting in your mailbox. Well, that's alright, I don't care :D .
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.19) Gecko/20110420 SeaMonkey/2.0.14 Pinball NoScript FlashGot AdblockPlus
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.8.1.21) Gecko/20090303 SeaMonkey/1.1.15
Alan Baxter
Ambassador

Post by Alan Baxter »

therube wrote:
while I'm composing this I just received my first email from the forum, a notification for therube's most recent post
That's it. Blame ME for the SPAM you're now getting in your mailbox. Well, that's alright, I don't care :D .
I checked the box for notifying me about important, erudite postings only, but yours managed to slip through somehow. :P
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.9.0.7) Gecko/2009021910 Firefox/3.0.7
Nan M
Ambassador

Post by Nan M »

OT
Well gentlemen, I declare this forum well and truly open and a roaring success.
So much of a success that I am turning off the subscription to save overloading my mailbox.
It's great to see the numbers of support requests jump immediately; so many are daunted by the Mozillazine maze - - and I know from my own experience that when a forum appears so geeky (as a lot of Fx Mozillazine stuff does) a novice just won't put their hands up. I lurked for years myself.
/OT

A subscription shortcut feature that may not have been discovered by all:
User Control Panel
Board Preferences
Edit Posting Defaults
Notify Me Upon Replies by Default

Automagically subscribes to the thread you are posting to.
Mozilla/5.0 (X11; U; Linux i686; en-US; rv:1.9.0.7) Gecko/2009030422 Ubuntu/8.10 (intrepid) Firefox/3.0.7
Alan Baxter
Ambassador

Post by Alan Baxter »

Nan M wrote:OT
Well gentlemen, I declare this forum well and truly open and a roaring success.
So much of a success that I am turning off the subscription to save overloading my mailbox.
Oh no, Nan. Don't turn us off! How can you live without asynchronous notification for each of our witty comments?
Nan M
Ambassador

Post by Nan M »

8-), Alan Baxter - the live feed is satisfying my need for entertainment :roll:
And spam-watching btw. I believe I caught the first spammer after you'd zzzzd off.
I'm enjoying the extra genuine traffic. It was obviously just waiting to put its hand up.
I'm offline for a couple of days now, so y'all look after our new digs.
And don't forget to sweep the floor!
Mozilla/5.0 (X11; U; Linux i686; en-US; rv:1.9.0.7) Gecko/2009030422 Ubuntu/8.04 (hardy) Firefox/3.0.7
GµårÐïåñ
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by GµårÐïåñ »

I have a question of sorts, since the site is designed to allow anonymous posting, can the users pick the username of someone who IS a member? I am assuming no, but what about using the nickname of another anonymous poster? I am assuming that they can do since the forum assumes they are possibly the same. Just wondering.
~.:[ Lï£ê ï§ å Lêmðñ åñÐ Ì Wåñ† M¥ Mðñê¥ ßå¢k ]:.~
________________ .: [ Major Mike's ] :. ________________
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.1; en-US; rv:1.9.0.8) Gecko/2009032609 Firefox/3.0.8 NoScript/1.9.1.7 FlashGot/1.1.8.5 FirePHP/0.2.4
therube
Ambassador

Post by therube »

AFAIK, no, yes.
Though I haven't actually tried it to find out.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.19) Gecko/20110420 SeaMonkey/2.0.14 Pinball NoScript FlashGot AdblockPlus
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1b4pre) Gecko/20090328 SeaMonkey/2.0b1pre
GµårÐïåñ
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by GµårÐïåñ »

therube wrote:AFAIK, no, yes.
Though I haven't actually tried it to find out.
So funny you say that, I was actually thinking about trying it and seeing for myself but I didn't want it to offend, so I figured I ask instead :lol: Now that its out there, I am going to try it if everyone's ok with it, just so I know for sure. I was asked by someone and had NO IDEA what to tell them, so maybe its worth to find out. Will edit this and keep you posted.

Update:
Using an exisiting user's information, my own id, was rejected with this message:
The username you entered is already in use, please select an alternative.

But trying to use a random anonymous user's id on the board, for this test it was g113, it allows the posting which is to be expected in case the anonymous user wants to post followup inquiries. I guess that settles that :) I deleted the test post immediately.
~.:[ Lï£ê ï§ å Lêmðñ åñÐ Ì Wåñ† M¥ Mðñê¥ ßå¢k ]:.~
________________ .: [ Major Mike's ] :. ________________
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.1; en-US; rv:1.9.0.8) Gecko/2009032609 Firefox/3.0.8 FirePHP/0.2.4