Does Support need another Sticky?

Discussion about the board itself, forums organization and site bugs.
Nan M
Ambassador

Does Support need another Sticky?

Post by Nan M »

Hi gents,

It seems to me that the Vanishing Toolbar Button® is such a common question now, that Alan's post here:
http://forums.informaction.com/viewtopi ... 1378#p4565
could be made a sticky to save mod labour?
These are, after all, the standard trouble-shooting steps.
Ignore me if you prefer to keep track of how often this is happening.

Edited soon after for some grammar/comprehension.
Mozilla/5.0 (X11; U; Linux i686; en-US; rv:1.9.0.10) Gecko/2009042523 Ubuntu/9.04 (jaunty) Firefox/3.0.10
Giorgio Maone
Site Admin

Re: Does Support need another Sticky?

Post by Giorgio Maone »

Alan's steps are "General troubleshooting". I'd vote for a sticky under that title (maybe "General troubleshooting: missing icons/menus, broken permissions and so on...").
Also the "Synchronize How To" sticky by Tom & Charley maybe deserves a drastic simplification in light of the recent developments (Configuration bookmark and enhanced Import/Export).

Moved this topic in the Metaforum where it belongs.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.2; en-US; rv:1.9.0.10) Gecko/2009042316 Firefox/3.0.10 (.NET CLR 3.5.30729)
Nan M
Ambassador

Post by Nan M »

Apologies for adding to mod work with the wrong board location - I'm supposed to be saving work :oops:

For the obsolete 'Synchronise' sticky - a link to the relevant FAQ maybe? With some key easy search words in a brief paragraph for those with reading difficulties.

And a rough draft for your approval of possible edits to http://noscript.net/faq#qa2_4 to cover all export/import/synchronise questions?

Suggested change to the FAQ title:
Where's the NoScript whitelist stored? Where's the NoScript Configuration stored? How can I backup / migrate it? How can I erase it?

Suggested 2 additional paragraphs to the content of that FAQ:

If you want to backup your whole NoScript configuration and whitelist, you can use the Export and Import buttons at the bottom of the Options dialog.
If you want to keep your whole NoScript configuration and whitelist synchronised across multiple systems, using a trusted bookmark synchronisation third party such as Xmarks, or your own server, you can use the 'Backup NoScript configuration in a bookmark for easy synchronisation' feature from NoScript Options | General.

All yours now.
Mozilla/5.0 (X11; U; Linux i686; en-US; rv:1.9.0.10) Gecko/2009042523 Ubuntu/9.04 (jaunty) Firefox/3.0.10
Giorgio Maone
Site Admin

Post by Giorgio Maone »

Nan M wrote:And a rough draft for your approval of possible edits to http://noscript.net/faq#qa2_4 to cover all export/import/synchronise questions?
Done with some changes, thanks.
What are we going to do with the sticky now?
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.2; en-US; rv:1.9.0.10) Gecko/2009042316 Firefox/3.0.10 (.NET CLR 3.5.30729)
Nan M
Ambassador

Post by Nan M »

Giorgio Maone wrote: What are we going to do with the sticky now?
3 quick thoughts, sorry I've no more time this week to contribute here.

I vote for Alan Baxter to write the general troubleshooting sticky. He is very thorough and writes very clearly.

The synchro sticky could be wasting some people's time now? Better to link straight to the FAQs entry, perhaps? Then keep a watch on how many hits it gets, and decide whether people still need to be shown the FAQ entry now that the functions are in the UI and presumably more easy to discover?

The main FAQs link may be missed by some who come to the 'Support' board without checking the whole board list first, therefore make a second sticky link to the FAQs to go up there ^ with Tom's newbies' guide?

That's me all gone for the week now.
Alan Baxter
Ambassador

Post by Alan Baxter »

Giorgio Maone wrote:Alan's steps are "General troubleshooting". I'd vote for a sticky under that title (maybe "General troubleshooting: missing icons/menus, broken permissions and so on...").
Done, posted to NoScript Support, and ready to be stickied[1]. Feel free to edit the title or content, Giorgio.

[1] Posting and You :lol:
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.9.0.10) Gecko/2009042316 Firefox/3.0.10
Tom T.
Field Marshal

Post by Tom T. »

Giorgio Maone wrote:
Nan M wrote:And a rough draft for your approval of possible edits to http://noscript.net/faq#qa2_4 to cover all export/import/synchronise questions?
Done with some changes, thanks.
What are we going to do with the sticky now?
Two thoughts:
1) The bookmarklet sync requires "let a reliable bookmark synchronization system safely manage your NoScript preferences across the Internet.:" Not everyone will have such a system, want to install it, or know how to. So another sticky, FAQ, or mod to the existing one would still be required.

2) The BM-sync is F3-S2 only. There are more of us die-hards than certain of us would like to think. ;)

My gut suggestion would be to modify the sticky as follows: At the top, for all users of F3-S2, just link them to Giorgio's updated FAQ. No reason to repeat it vs. just one click. (Let's get people in the habit of reading the FAQ as much as possible!). Then, sub-title: "For F2-S1.x users, use these methods." or words to that effect.

When first learning of the coming BM-sync, I asked Giorgio whether it would affect the sticky. He told me yes, it uses the Places component of F3, rather than just prefs.js. I was waiting for him to declare it mature -- he has done so. So F3-S2 users need to be told: "Either get a BM-sync tool as per the FAQ, or do ..." something else. Since I don't have F3, and Alan knows I don't want it, I couldn't add that portion. If it is possible to do similar copy/pastes from Places, then someone could add that section for such users. If it isn't possible to do that in Places, then apparently F3-S2 users either must use a sync tool, or use the complete Fx sync method in my post #4 at the Sync sticky (currently the bottom post).

Comments/suggestions?
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US at an expert level; rv:1.8.1.20) Gecko/20081217 Firefox/2.0.0.20 diehard