Rec'd STRANGE PM;discovered in forwarded email by NoScript

Discussion about the board itself, forums organization and site bugs.
IMB4U

Rec'd STRANGE PM;discovered in forwarded email by NoScript

Post by IMB4U »

I delete all emails I don't know anything about, but this NoScript forum sent me an email regarding some user here who PM'd me. I had to use Google translate to figure out the brief message dated Feb. 12 (yesterday's date), and then I came here and opened the PM to see what was being said. AGAIN, I had to use Google translate to understand the non-English language.

Here is Google's translated version:
Hi, IMB4U. Hack known social network and posted correspondence and data to all users. Find it yourself. Look here --- NOTE: AGAIN, THERE IS A LINK THERE, BUT I HAVE DELETED IT TO SEE IF I CAN GET THIS POSTED (I EVEN HAD THE WORD "DOT" SUBSTITUTING FOR THE ACTUAL DOT ITSELF BUT TO NO AVAIL.)

I have no idea what this means. I don't like the word "hack", and I definitely wasn't about to link to the website he/she gave me! Therefore, I decided to block "all" PMs to me and also emails from anyone here at NoScript. Perhaps I am overreacting :?: :oops:

Does anyone know what that NoScript Forum user is talking about? :roll:

HELP!? I'm now trying to PREVIEW this comment of mine, but when I hit "Preview", I get a page that says this:
Ooops, something in your posting triggered my antispam filter...
Please use the "Back" button to modify your content and retry.

At this point, I have no idea if I am going to even get this message posted! :( I'm going to try simply hitting "SUBMIT" now and see if that gets cleared; here I go...

Well, that didn't work either :!: :!: :!: So I will delete both the "http links" in English and non-English to see if I can get this comment posted; here I go, again...

Okay, I STILL get the message that something in my comment has triggered anti-spam and therefore can't post this. This is truly frustrating now :!:

I just thought of something else to try...I will delete the non-English message totally and see if that will get this message posted...
Windows 8, Professional, 64-bit/4 GB Ram/Pale Moon 25.5/ NoScript, Adblock Plus, Better Privacy; Super-Antispyware (free), Malwarebytes Anti-Malware (free), Spyware Blaster (free), WinPatrol (free)
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; WOW64; rv:18.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/18.0
Thrawn
Master Bug Buster

Re: Rec'd STRANGE PM;discovered in forwarded email by NoScri

Post by Thrawn »

Yes, a ton of people seem to have copped this spam message. The account has been banned. Unfortunately we can't promise that no-one else will try the same stunt :(.

If you receive any further spam messages, there is a built-in feature to report them to the moderators. We do see reports, and we will ban those responsible (it's a large part of our job).
Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Ubuntu; Linux i686; rv:18.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/18.0
IMB4U

Post by IMB4U »

@Thrawn

I guess since I had never rec'd anything like that from any forum anywhere, that I was way, way, way overdo for one! :) However, I won't be receiving anymore of those types of emails from here because I did block all PMs (except from the administration) and all emails from reaching me in the future. "InformAction" is the perfect name for this forum...you "inform" and users take "action"! :D

I appreciate you taking time to reply and explain what has been happening; thank U! AND, of course, I appreciate the existence of NoScript...I wouldn't want to browse the internet without it :!:
Windows 8, Professional, 64-bit/4 GB Ram/Pale Moon 25.5/ NoScript, Adblock Plus, Better Privacy; Super-Antispyware (free), Malwarebytes Anti-Malware (free), Spyware Blaster (free), WinPatrol (free)
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; WOW64; rv:18.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/18.0
GµårÐïåñ
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by GµårÐïåñ »

No need to overreact and block NS forum, the fact is that when someone sends you a PM (spam or otherwise) it will notify you and send you the text of it so you know you have something waiting. It has no way to know if its legit or not. What you should do when you come to your PM and find something you don't know or is spam, just report it using the button and we will take care of it. That's it, it happens a lot and is part of life, no need to get too paranoid about it.
~.:[ Lï£ê ï§ å Lêmðñ åñÐ Ì Wåñ† M¥ Mðñê¥ ßå¢k ]:.~
________________ .: [ Major Mike's ] :. ________________
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; rv:18.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/18.0