spam accounts

Discussion about the board itself, forums organization and site bugs.
Post Reply
MiG
Posts: 2
Joined: Thu Feb 23, 2012 1:41 pm

spam accounts

Post by MiG » Mon Nov 26, 2012 12:00 pm

memberlist.php?mode=viewprofile&u=60968

Received a spam PM from this user earlier this year, but apparently the account still exists, and part of his payload is still in his signature (presumably to boost his pagerank). Ditto for the latest registered user below, cfr his 'occupation' and ditto website:

memberlist.php?mode=viewprofile&u=79137

You may want to either downright ban/delete them, or strip their payloads and block those user fields.

PS. I've been using the StopForumSpam plugin for vBulletin for about four years and it's cut down bogus registrations to a minimum. As apparently a version for PHP bb exists, perhaps this would help reduce them here as well.

PPS. "PHP bb" without the space in the middle very strangely triggers a *posting* spam filter?
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 5.1; rv:17.0) Gecko/17.0 Firefox/17.0

User avatar
therube
Ambassador
Posts: 7468
Joined: Thu Mar 19, 2009 4:17 pm
Location: Maryland USA

Re: spam accounts

Post by therube » Mon Nov 26, 2012 4:18 pm

The user was banned, as early as March 25, 2012.
Banned accounts do remain, though should be ineffectual.
His signature & whatnot should also be ineffective as bots are not able to view member profile data at all, so he (no one) gets anything out of links posted there.
As far as "others" posting similarly, yes that is an ongoing & growing situation.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.19) Gecko/20110420 SeaMonkey/2.0.14 Pinball NoScript FlashGot AdblockPlus
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 5.1; rv:19.0) Gecko/19.0 Firefox/19.0 SeaMonkey/2.16a2

richbuff
Posts: 6
Joined: Thu Mar 26, 2009 9:56 am

Re: spam accounts

Post by richbuff » Tue Feb 12, 2013 4:42 am

Firefox current version, and only two extensions, and one of them is NoScript :)
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.2; WOW64; rv:18.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/18.0

Tom T.
Field Marshal
Posts: 3620
Joined: Fri Mar 20, 2009 6:58 am

Re: spam accounts

Post by Tom T. » Tue Feb 12, 2013 7:55 am

richbuff wrote:PM spammer: memberlist.php?mode=viewprofile&u=88515

No public spam posts, so could you please forward the spam PM to therube, Thrawn, Giorgio, and me, and whoever gets it first will ban them? Thanks.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 5.1; rv:18.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/18.0.2

sonickydon
Posts: 10
Joined: Fri Apr 24, 2009 8:36 am

Re: spam accounts

Post by sonickydon » Tue Feb 12, 2013 11:41 am

Tom T. wrote:
richbuff wrote:PM spammer: memberlist.php?mode=viewprofile&u=88515

No public spam posts, so could you please forward the spam PM to therube, Thrawn, Giorgio, and me, and whoever gets it first will ban them? Thanks.

Spam PM confirmed. I guess you don't want us all to forward the PM so I'm leaving it up to the first reporter.
Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Linux x86_64; rv:21.0) Gecko/20130211 Firefox/21.0

User avatar
GµårÐïåñ
Lieutenant Colonel
Posts: 3339
Joined: Fri Mar 20, 2009 5:19 am
Location: PST - USA
Contact:

Re: spam accounts

Post by GµårÐïåñ » Wed Feb 13, 2013 1:52 am

Tom T. wrote:No public spam posts, so could you please forward the spam PM to therube, Thrawn, Giorgio, and me, and whoever gets it first will ban them? Thanks.

What am I chopped liver? :lol:
I have been banning like crazy.
~.:[ Lï£ê ï§ å Lêmðñ åñÐ Ì Wåñ† M¥ Mðñê¥ ßå¢k ]:.~
________________ .: [ Major Mike's ] :. ________________
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 5.1) AppleWebKit/537.17 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/24.2.0.0 Safari/537.17

Tom T.
Field Marshal
Posts: 3620
Joined: Fri Mar 20, 2009 6:58 am

Re: spam accounts

Post by Tom T. » Wed Feb 13, 2013 2:09 am

GµårÐïåñ wrote:
Tom T. wrote:No public spam posts, so could you please forward the spam PM to therube, Thrawn, Giorgio, and me, and whoever gets it first will ban them? Thanks.

What am I chopped liver? :lol:
I have been banning like crazy.

I know that you had some particular obligations recently -- still waiting to hear if the goals were achieved -- hadn't seen you around, and so didn't want you to be bothered with e-mail notification that anyone else of us could handle. Sorry for being overly solicitous. Certainly no offense intended, and when you get a chance, could you let me know through secure channels how that early February project worked out?


@ sonickydon
: No PM received here, and we don't know how soon the previous reporter will see the reply. So please feel free to forward -- including to GµårÐïåñ, of course. ;)
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 5.1; rv:18.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/18.0.2

User avatar
GµårÐïåñ
Lieutenant Colonel
Posts: 3339
Joined: Fri Mar 20, 2009 5:19 am
Location: PST - USA
Contact:

Re: spam accounts

Post by GµårÐïåñ » Wed Feb 13, 2013 3:08 am

Tom T. wrote:I know that you had some particular obligations recently -- still waiting to hear if the goals were achieved -- hadn't seen you around, and so didn't want you to be bothered with e-mail notification that anyone else of us could handle. Sorry for being overly solicitous. Certainly no offense intended, and when you get a chance, could you let me know through secure channels how that early February project worked out?

I know, I was just yanking your chain. I don't write much but if you look at the mod logs you see, I come by and assassinate a bunch of spam and leave. I am like a Ninja, you never see me but I am here :mrgreen:


@ sonickydon
: No PM received here, and we don't know how soon the previous reporter will see the reply. So please feel free to forward -- including to GµårÐïåñ, of course. ;)

I was only kidding with my good friend, but by all means, any mod or admin would be able to handle it for you. Tom just pointed to the most visible and active ones to ensure that your message doesn't end up with those who either hate PM or are no longer actively on the site.
~.:[ Lï£ê ï§ å Lêmðñ åñÐ Ì Wåñ† M¥ Mðñê¥ ßå¢k ]:.~
________________ .: [ Major Mike's ] :. ________________
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 5.1) AppleWebKit/537.17 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/24.2.0.0 Safari/537.17

richbuff
Posts: 6
Joined: Thu Mar 26, 2009 9:56 am

Re: spam accounts

Post by richbuff » Fri Feb 15, 2013 1:42 am

sonickydon wrote:
Tom T. wrote:
richbuff wrote:PM spammer: memberlist.php?mode=viewprofile&u=88515

No public spam posts, so could you please forward the spam PM to therube, Thrawn, Giorgio, and me, and whoever gets it first will ban them? Thanks.

Spam PM confirmed. I guess you don't want us all to forward the PM so I'm leaving it up to the first reporter.


I reported the PM. Next time, I will do same, instead of posting here. :D

Sorry, I did not notice the report icon in the PM.

"I have been banning like crazy." Me too. Where I live, we get tons of spam hourly.

"chopped liver?" The Lightly Diced Liver group is where it's at.
Firefox current version, and only two extensions, and one of them is NoScript :)
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.2; WOW64; rv:18.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/18.0

Post Reply