LeechGet 2009 released as freeware

Bug reports and enhancement requests
smaragdus

LeechGet 2009 released as freeware

Post by smaragdus »

The author of LeechGet, Martin Albiez was so kind to give a free registration key for LeechGet 2009 (now discontinued) at LeechGet Home Page:

http://www.leechget.net/
http://www.leechget.net/en/

Here is the code that has been published:

AF9B09 - EDF99 - 27464 - C2ADE - CE5A4 - FCD7B7

But for some unlnown reason I cannot register it.

I wonder whether other people may encounter the same problem.

By the way FlashGot was unable to recognize LeechGet 2009 either.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.9.2.28) Gecko/20120306 Firefox/3.6.28 (.NET CLR 3.5.30729)
Giorgio Maone
Site Admin

Re: LeechGet 2009 released as freeware

Post by Giorgio Maone »

I've tried to install it, but like you I didn't manage to register it (the serial seems also wrongly separated, with the first component too long and the fifth too short).
Moreover, even if I choose to install the IE extension (which is needed by FlashGot to communicate with LeechGet), the menus in IE, albeit present, where not functional (LeechGet seemed to ignore the download commands dispatched from IE) and, quite expectedly, while FlashGot correctly detected it, issuing download commands from FlasgGot had the same effect (none).

I guess you should consider an alternate (and supported) product...
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; WOW64; rv:11.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/11.0
smaragdus

Re: LeechGet 2009 released as freeware

Post by smaragdus »

Thank you for taking your time to test LeechGet, and yes, you are right, the license key is either wrongly separated or invalid at all (or the licensing server is out of service). Reading your post I found out why I hadn't been able to integrate LeechGet 2002 in FlashGot, I did not install the Internet Explorer extension because I do not use IE. Now I installed LeechGet with the extension and it was not only recognized by FlashGot but FlashGot was also able to trigger the download jobs at LeechGet (version 1.0 Build 450) at my XP SP3 machine.

I think I have tested all free download managers. Now my default download manager is Free Download Manager, it is a powerful downloader, I like its 'Silent Downloads' feature, but it seems a bit slow, and its 'Opinions' option is ridiculous and cannot be hidden. I also use an old version of Orbir Downloader (version 2.8.10, the new releases are bloated and not at all to my liking), light, simple, nice GUI, I particularly like its Grab++ tool for streaming videos. But I think that the fastest download manager I have ever tested is WellGet, although a long ago discontinued abandon-ware it is lightning-fast. FlashGet version 1.73 Build 128 is not bad either (in contrast with the new releases which are terrible and ad-ware to boot). For my external USB drive the portable ones (Web Downloader, VisualWget and WideStream) are a good solution.

Because not a single freeware download manager is exactly to my taste, I think to test some commercial ones (Mass Downloader, InstantGet, Internet Download Manager, Download Accelerator Manager (the last one is not supported by FlashGot). Many download managers seem to be no longer in active development (GetRight, ReGet Deluxe, Net Transport, Star Downloader, etc) but still available because it seems that their developers hope that some stray users might purchase a license.

May I ask you which download manager you consider to be the best?
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 5.1; rv:11.0) Gecko/20120312 Firefox/11.0 SeaMonkey/2.8