Livestream - anyway to capture it?

Bug reports and enhancement requests
josephj

Livestream - anyway to capture it?

Post by josephj »

Hi. I asked this about two years ago:
http://forums.informaction.com/viewtopi ... =11&t=4379
I thought I'd ask again in case anything has changed for the better.

I am watching a number of videos using the Livestream protocol under flash. Most of them are available for 24 - 48 hours and then go away, so I have to drop everything and get them.

For now, I am saving the audio only using my Zoom H1 (wonderful tool) digital audio recorder plugged into my headphone jack, but that's real time so it takes over an hour each time and hangs off my notebook making it much less portable while it's in use.

So could you briefly revisit capturing Livestream Flash video?

Here's a sample video
http://heartiq.christianpankhurst.com/livevideoreplay/

and they have a whole catalog of them at

http://www.livestream.com/

Thanks.

Joe

P.S. I use a bunch of add-ons for Firefox, but if I had to choose only one, it would be Flashgot. I use it almost every day, often multiple times.
Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Linux i686; rv:5.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/5.0
therube
Ambassador

Re: Livestream - anyway to capture it?

Post by therube »

No change. Still using RTMP. FlashGot still cannot see RTMP.

Net Transport is able to capture the feed, so there are methods.

Code: Select all

rtmp://extondemand.livestream.com:80/ondemand<break>mp4:trans/dv15/mogulus-user-files/chembracingchange/2011/06/28/bdcf4afc-12cc-4d37-a835-45c57e6e1d9e.mp4	http://cdn.livestream.com/embed/embracingchange?layout=4&clip=flv_bdcf4afc-12cc-4d37-a835-45c57e6e1d9e&autoPlay=true&mute=false	http://cdn.livestream.com/chromelessPlayer/v21/playerapi.swf?mute=false&autoPlay=true&jsEnabled=false&time=
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.19) Gecko/20110420 SeaMonkey/2.0.14 Pinball NoScript FlashGot AdblockPlus
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 5.1; rv:5.0) Gecko/20110626 Firefox/5.0 SeaMonkey/2.2
josephj

Post by josephj »

Thanks for checking. I hadn't heard of Net Transport. I'm going to download the demo and see if I can get it to run in wine or in my xp vm.

Joe
Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Linux i686; rv:5.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/5.0
therube
Ambassador

Post by therube »

> I'm using a PM since this isn't about Flashgot.

Close enough.

> Thanks for telling me about Net Transport. Have you used it?

Yes.
I've got it installed in my XP vm.

I'm unclear as to how you got that whole fancy url that you posted. For recalcitrant pages, I usually do a Ctrl-U in Firefox, view the page source, and hope I can find a good url to copy and paste into a downloader or player. It can be challenging since these things tend to be embedded in all sorts of HTML/JavaScript with very long lines that don't wrap.

Here, since Flashgot doesn't see the stream, I don't know where to get the url for it to paste into Net Transport.
In this case, for any RTMP I might attempt, I use Net Transports "URL Sniffer".
It is that sniffer that sees the stream, that provides the URL.
Once seen, clicking Download does just that - assuming it can.

Appears to be no set (standardized) "rules" for RTMP, so even if a stream is seen, something (in the URL) could be just a bit off such that a capture attempt fails. Sometimes one app works where another doesn't. Sometimes one app works speedily, where another is slow for the same stream.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.19) Gecko/20110420 SeaMonkey/2.0.14 Pinball NoScript FlashGot AdblockPlus
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 5.1; rv:5.0) Gecko/20110626 Firefox/5.0 SeaMonkey/2.2
josephj

Post by josephj »

Just a belated update. I tried the recommended software, but it doesn't work because I can't (won't) configure it properly.

I run XP in a vm under Linux. When I run the software, vmware player complains that it can't set the gateway on the host to promiscuous mode. I understand it's point of view. Letting anything on Windows do that could open the door to malware access to all kinds of things. I found ways to do it anyway, but did not proceed because of the security concerns - and because it was complicated and easy to mess up.

I think that when the software runs on native Windows, it can turn promiscuous mode on when it needs it and then turn it right back off. I would have to figure out a way to do that manually with Linux.

I "assume" that the other programs that do this would also need promiscuous mode so they could find the stream to download.

Until a couple of days ago, I had a bootable version of XP that sort of worked, but it died recently. Now, all I have is the vm which is clean and easy to keep clean.

Joe
Mozilla/5.0 (Ubuntu; X11; Linux i686; rv:8.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/8.0