FlashGot Opens Unexpectantly

Bug reports and enhancement requests
therube
Ambassador

FlashGot Opens Unexpectantly

Post by therube »

FlashGot (1.2.1.11) Opens Unexpectantly

Few times yesterday, I had highlighted some textual links (in order to open with Fetch Text URL), but instead FlashGot popped up.

It was repeatable, up to a point, with a "url" where this occurred, once it occurred.
But not that I could go back to the same spot later & have it happen again.
URL was in the fashion of http://www.xyz.com/filename.
Thinking that originally, I would have triple-clicked the "url". After that I would have manually highlighted it.

Where & when it happened, I could successfully highlight say http://www.xyz.com/, but when I highlighted the full URL, FlashGot popped up?

I did have the web page Zoom increased.

Otherwise there was nothing that should have caused FlashGot to open, yet it did.

Perhaps some sort of timing issue?

(There have been times in the long past where something would cause FlashGot to open too.)
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.19) Gecko/20110420 SeaMonkey/2.0.14 Pinball NoScript FlashGot AdblockPlus
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.9pre) Gecko/20100205 SeaMonkey/2.0.3pre
Giorgio Maone
Site Admin

Re: FlashGot Opens Unexpectantly

Post by Giorgio Maone »

Are you sure you hadn't the Alt key down by accident?
Do those files match your autostart file extensions?
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.2; en-US; rv:1.9.2) Gecko/20100115 Firefox/3.6
therube
Ambassador

Post by therube »

Alt could be a possibility, but I would think not.
(Generally using the mouse in this case, because in order to highlight the selection to open as a "url"... And holding down Alt disables right-click context menu, which is where Fetch text URL would be found.)

It would have been a URL to open, not a file of any sort, so autostart extensions should not apply.
Humph. Maybe it is a lazy Alt. Cause I can highlight the text URL above & Alt+(right|left)-click & FlashGot opens.
Maybe that was it?
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.19) Gecko/20110420 SeaMonkey/2.0.14 Pinball NoScript FlashGot AdblockPlus
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.9pre) Gecko/20100205 SeaMonkey/2.0.3pre
Kagehi

Post by Kagehi »

His might be an alt key issue, but I have had it happen when moving from Firefox to another window. And, weirder, it currently seems to want to display the last thing I downloaded, weeks ago, via it, instead of the name of what I actually clicked on. Mind, this has been to some degree, a perpetual problem, when it comes to file names (Firefox's manager doesn't had off to FlashGot, or the like, but is "intercepted", so what ever Firefox **would do** to get the right name for things FlashGot doesn't. I also don't use FlashGot to download masses of stuff from pages, so I am seriously considering just disabling it for now.

But, yeah, have had some rare, but odd, "why the hell is this dialog there?", issues with this update. And, the name issue, which may be interference with the mass of extensions I have, I suppose. But, definitely something that also didn't happen "prior" to this patch, except for the numerous pages out there that use convoluted idiocies to direct to the real downloads, which are always a problem, some to the point where nothing *except* the damn browsers own system will work. Isn't there supposed to be some key combination for that? Because I can't seem to keep Getright from trying to handle those cases, even when attempting to bypass FlashGot, and Getright runs afowl of the same glitch, or worse, in the case of, "Oooh! Wrong program name or cookie, so you are not allowed to do that!" I don't trust the inbuilts. I have had *way* to many times where, *all* browsers manage to fail on the last few kb of a file, or the like, and then won't resume properly.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.9.2.3) Gecko/20100401 Firefox/3.6.3
GµårÐïåñ
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by GµårÐïåñ »

I can say with fair certainty that its not a FlashGot issue. I make this assertion because I have been having Fx suddenly and unexpectedly and without my request popup a save-as dialog or print dialog when I click on a form button or sometimes when I use the Ctrl-click on a link to open in another tab. I think it has to do with some extension interactions as it doesn't happen in plain profile with only NoScript and FlashGot. So I am guessing what you are experiencing is similar in CAUSE as mine just with something else poping up based on whatever keypress combination is present on your machine. I think its a random key combination generated response and for each person the actual popup is different but not the cause, or possible Fx chrome function used by multiple extensions creating confusion. Just saying.
~.:[ Lï£ê ï§ å Lêmðñ åñÐ Ì Wåñ† M¥ Mðñê¥ ßå¢k ]:.~
________________ .: [ Major Mike's ] :. ________________
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.1; en-US; rv:1.9.2.3) Gecko/20100401 Firefox/3.6.3
Kagehi

Post by Kagehi »

That is quite possible. I have a mess of plugins. A few "may" be the cause, since 1-2 of them also updated recently. Just not sure which ones.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.9.2.3) Gecko/20100401 Firefox/3.6.3
GµårÐïåñ
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by GµårÐïåñ »

Kagehi wrote:That is quite possible. I have a mess of plugins. A few "may" be the cause, since 1-2 of them also updated recently. Just not sure which ones.
Well I hate to say it, but you might consider doing a systematic check of the addons, by disabling all of them, and re-enabling one at a time to find which one breaks it. Before you say it, I know, its tedious as hell and just a pain in general; BUT, unfortunately extension conflicts are somewhat a pain to figure out, ESPECIALLY if you have a lot of them. Now, the other complication is also that the issue has to be consistently reproducible because otherwise, you have no way to verify it, you know what I mean. To that let me offer a trick that SOMETIMES fixes extension conflicts, delete the extension.* files in your %appdata%\location\of\your\profile and start the browser to have them repositioned and see if it fixes it, that's usually the quickest. Now I am not giving you detailed instructions because I assume you know what you are doing, IF you need more detailed step by step, we have a few very good guides and discussions on the forum you can simply search and follow. Good luck and if you find a suspect, let us know so we can run tests on it and verify if it is indeed a conflict that affects us or not, so it can be acted on accordingly.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.1; en-US; rv:1.9.2.3) Gecko/20100401 Firefox/3.6.3
Kagehi

Post by Kagehi »

Hmm. I disabled FlashGot, and everything else I have are notifiers, and a video download helper, which only works via its own menu, not using clicks, or automatically by link detection, and I am still getting odd, random, "do you want to save this", results. So, not FlashGot causing it, apparently, just so everyone knows. Got to be something in the FireFox settings itself, or some glitch they introduced in this version, which causes it randomly. In fact, this is worse than before, but there has been some weird cases prior, where Firefox tried to insist on downloading links that where opened in a window, even though the filetype was one it could display... The symptom is similar, but just way worse than before.

Anyway. Not your problem, since FlashGot isn't causing it.
Giorgio Maone
Site Admin

Post by Giorgio Maone »

Are you using any kind of proxy (it may corrupt some content-type header)?
Did you check whether it happens with other browsers as well?
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.2; en-US; rv:1.9.2.3) Gecko/20100401 Firefox/3.6.3
GµårÐïåñ
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by GµårÐïåñ »

Kagehi wrote:Hmm. I disabled FlashGot, and everything else I have are notifiers, and a video download helper, which only works via its own menu, not using clicks, or automatically by link detection, and I am still getting odd, random, "do you want to save this", results. So, not FlashGot causing it, apparently, just so everyone knows. Got to be something in the FireFox settings itself, or some glitch they introduced in this version, which causes it randomly. In fact, this is worse than before, but there has been some weird cases prior, where Firefox tried to insist on downloading links that where opened in a window, even though the filetype was one it could display... The symptom is similar, but just way worse than before.
I am sorry you didn't figure out what is causing it but your experience seems to confirm my own problems of sudden and unexpected popups to save and this happens to me even in the most streamlined version of my profile, so I am leaning towards its a Fx bug of some kind or something that is triggered by something.
Anyway. Not your problem, since FlashGot isn't causing it.
As for this, we do care, even if it is not our problem, we don't just brush you off and avoid helping if we can. If its something we can figure out, even if not ours, we will help you figure it out, its just common courtesy. But if its not something we can put our finger on, then we won't be able to do anything, but that's not because its not our problem, but because we may not have a solution. In the absence of a solution, we prefer to say "we don't know" than to waste your time and ours pointing you in directions that may have nothing to do with anything. ok? so don't give up, at least open a ticket with Fx support and see if you get any hits on it.
therube
Ambassador

Post by therube »

(I probably really should have started a new thread, but ...)

As I was perusing yesterday for popundr's, I kind of noticed a site or two where, it was, well something weird going on. Perhaps ...

highlighting a text URL
or maybe simply highlighting (any) text
or maybe simply right-clicking (to open a context menu)

... was causing (FlashGot ?) to open my download manager.

When it happened a few times in succession, I quickly viewed the page source (though not by right-click context menu) & did note some Ajax stuff (& not that I know what Ajax is)?

Didn't really note where it happened & didn't really pursue it further at the time, & just making mention of if here now. I'll have to dig up some sites & post more information on it at some point.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.9) Gecko/20100317 SeaMonkey/2.0.4
therube
Ambassador

Post by therube »

Still working on it.

This page generated it: http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/s ... clnk&gl=us

I was specifically able to duplicate it using the signature links about 1/3 of the way down the page:

Code: Select all

Tab Mix Plus Forum
Tab Mix Plus v0.3.8.3
Tab Mix Plus Dev-Build
Appears position related.
Appears Zoom related (200%).
Possibly theme related (SeaMonkey default).
Not only will various aspects of FlashGot open (like FlashGot link, or FlashGot All), but I can also get Compose Message or Google Search or others to open.

Note where the cursor is located.
Note the position of the context menu relative to that.
If I were to move the cursor directly to the left - such that the context menu would open a bit more to the left, over top of one of those Tab Mix links, that will generate FlashGot to open.

Note the relative (LARGE) size of the context menu & its' theme-ing.
(New to) Windows 7, two users, one, my main user, I've disabled all that Aero crap (or whatever it is), so that I mostly look like XP retro. Other user, I still have that crap enabled (for the off chance that something with it would appeal or be of benefit).
Context menu in my XP retro is much smaller, being "normal" size, as compared to the page zoom level (200%).

But there's more to it then that, so till I come up with more, may not be worthwhile for others to mess with it.

I've got NoSquint (extension) running in my current Profile, & I'm not able to duplicate it here.

(Seem to recall in the past something about a "ghost" location where a NoScript icon context menu would work, even though you were not on the menu, but off to the side of it. Here, http://forums.informaction.com/viewtopi ... 9566#p9566.)

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.1; en-US; rv:1.9.3a6pre) Gecko/20100619 SeaMonkey/2.1a2pre