[RESOLVED]Use %temp% on Windows XP+? (User Error)

Bug reports and enhancement requests
washii

[RESOLVED]Use %temp% on Windows XP+? (User Error)

Post by washii »

I've been using FlashGot for a long time, at least back to Fx1.5 or 2.0. I've been using an nLited WinXP SP3 install for a little shorter than that, and somewhat shorter than that (but likely somewhat before Fx3.0) I've set 'Documents and Settings' to be 'Users' instead (as it is much easier to spelunk in such a path, something which I do often), along with setting up an NTFS hard-link to another drive to keep all very user-related data off the system drive.

However, in all that time, FlashGot has always created it's "FlashGot.exe.test" in "X:\DOCUME~1\Washii\LOCALS~1\Temp\flashgot.(firefox_profile_folder_name)"

This is really rather annoying, as aside from changing DocsAndSettings to Users, I've also had %temp% set to "%userprofile%\Temp" from inside the Windows Setup scripts, instead of "%userprofile%\Local Settings\Temp"

The %temp% and %tmp% User Variables have always been set properly to %userprofile%\Temp (which fully expands to "X:\Users\Washii\Temp", of course). Just in case, I even did a quick search in the registry and couldn't find any references to "Documents and Settings" or "DOCUME~1"

Recap:
Please ensure use of %temp% for FlashGot temp files, don't hard-code to 'Documents and Settings'/whatever a future Windows path may be.

>>
Currently using FlashGot 1.1.8.7, installed 2009-Aug-03.

Inside the 'erroneous' temp directory:
Latest 'FlashGot.exe.test' created 2009-Aug-16
Latest 'cookies' created 2009-Aug-18
Latest 'cookies-1' created 2009-Aug-18 (plus 15 minutes from 'cookies')
>>

Thank you.
Last edited by washii on Thu Aug 20, 2009 6:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.2) Gecko/20090729 Firefox/3.5.2 (.NET CLR 3.5.30729)
Giorgio Maone
Site Admin

Re: Use %temp% on Windows XP+?

Post by Giorgio Maone »

FlashGot uses whatever directory is reported as "Temp" by Firefox.
This usually coincides with %TEMP%, but sometimes it doesn't.
However you can set FlashGot's own temp directory to whatever you want from FlashGot Options|Advanced.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.2; en-US; rv:1.9.1.2) Gecko/20090729 Firefox/3.5.2 (.NET CLR 3.5.30729)
therube
Ambassador

Post by therube »

(In XP, you would typically set up environment variables from System Properties | Advanced (tab) -> Environmental Variables. That is where you would find both TEMP & TMP. Typically you would make the changes there, to both variables.

I have "Documents and Settings" set as \DOC\, & %TEMP% pointing to \Local\. Within Local, each individual XP User would have their own directory tree.)

EDIT: Just came across this (untested & seems like overkill IMO), Rapid Environment Editor.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.19) Gecko/20110420 SeaMonkey/2.0.14 Pinball NoScript FlashGot AdblockPlus
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.8.1.22) Gecko/20090605 SeaMonkey/1.1.17
washii

Post by washii »

Giorgio Maone wrote:FlashGot uses whatever directory is reported as "Temp" by Firefox.
This usually coincides with %TEMP%, but sometimes it doesn't.
However you can set FlashGot's own temp directory to whatever you want from FlashGot Options|Advanced.
How interesting, I just went to about:config and searched for 'temp,' one of the few places I don't spelunk.
Without my knowing, flashgot.tmpDir got set to the evil 8.3-level path 'Local Settings\Temp' path. Just reset it. I don't know how that could have ever gotten set.

Thank you, Giorgio.
therube wrote:(In XP, you would typically set up environment variables from System Properties | Advanced (tab) -> Environmental Variables. That is where you would find both TEMP & TMP. Typically you would make the changes there, to both variables.

I have "Documents and Settings" set as \DOC\, & %TEMP% pointing to \Local\. Within Local, each individual XP User would have their own directory tree.)
I'm not sure I understand what this post was for (unless you were attempting to educate others?). TEMP and TMP are set to %userprofile%\Temp from the very first boot (likely from 'first boot' being the GUI install phase of Windows XP!) on my nLite copy, same with 'Documents and Settings' -> 'Users'.

In fact, I used the Environment Variables dialog to triple-check that my TEMP and TMP user variables were properly set before touching this forum. So, uh, color me confused as to what you were trying to get across.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.2) Gecko/20090729 Firefox/3.5.2 (.NET CLR 3.5.30729)