"Intercept All Downloads" _except_ for "File Extensions ..."

Bug reports and enhancement requests
d3fault

"Intercept All Downloads" _except_ for "File Extensions ..."

Post by d3fault »

Well yea just like the subject says, in the options there's "Intercept all Downloads" and "Intercept these file extensions", but I want "Intercept all downloads EXCEPT these file extensions".

Rationale: Firefox has a PDF viewer built-in now that I'd like to use, but I want to use Flashgot for everything else.

EDIT: As a workaround, install the "Open In Browser" add-on to be able to selectively force attachments to be displayed inline ( https://addons.mozilla.org/En-us/firefo ... n-browser/ )
Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Linux x86_64; rv:38.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/38.0 Iceweasel/38.7.1
Zash

Re: "Intercept All Downloads" _except_ for "File Extensions

Post by Zash »

I second this request, as do others (since 7 years :o):
d3fault wrote:EDIT: As a workaround, install the "Open In Browser" add-on to be able to selectively force attachments to be displayed inline ( https://addons.mozilla.org/En-us/firefo ... n-browser/ )
The workaround with "Open in Browser" is not really an option, because of the download behaviour of Firefox:
When opening a download (without "Intercept all Downloads" option), Firefox starts already downloading the file to the temp folder in background, before the user chooses an action, like download with FlashGot.
(See also this long term bug.)
If the user chooses to download with FlashGot then, the temporary downloaded file is thrown away => waste of disk space, traffic, etc.

I am not sure, if this can be avoided completely, since with the include filter, the temp file is created, too. But this is probably only for getting the right MIMEType. Otherwise it is an FlashGot bug!
A comment from a dev would be nice (concerning the HttpInterceptor / nsIURIContentListener, afaik), as I am interested in this (as a possible contributor ;)).

So my wish would be for FlashGot to always intercept the download, except for the excluded file extensions, before the temp file gets created, if possible, thus circumventing the Firefox "bug", too.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:52.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/52.0