Flashgot for Google Chrome/Chromium

Bug reports and enhancement requests
zetrotrack000

Flashgot for Google Chrome/Chromium

Post by zetrotrack000 »

Hi
Kindly release flashgot for Google Chrome or chromium.

Regards
Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Ubuntu; Linux x86_64; rv:31.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/31.0
Thrawn
Master Bug Buster

Re: Flashgot for Google Chrome/Chromium

Post by Thrawn »

That is a little like saying, "Please release Microsoft Office for Linux."

I expect that there is software that will do the job well enough on Chromium, and FlashGot isn't so indispensable a tool as NoScript. But if Giorgio has time and thinks it's worthwhile, of course, it's up to him. I'm sure that if you wanted to hire him to do it, he'd be happy to talk to you.
======
Thrawn
------------
Religion is not the opium of the masses. Daily life is the opium of the masses.

True religion, which dares to acknowledge death and challenge the way we live, is an attempt to wake up.
Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Ubuntu; Linux i686; rv:31.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/31.0
zetrotrack000

Post by zetrotrack000 »

Chromium is an open source browser (unlike MS Office which is a proprietary software).
So its not same like saying:
"Please release Microsoft Office for Linux."
And secondly, the source code of MS Office is owned by MS, however the creator of flashgot has its source code.
Moreover, its most popular browser with share of 59% (Source: http://www.w3schools.com/browsers/browsers_stats.asp).
Thridly, the question is specially for flashgot developers and not for everyone (to comment).

Regards
Thrawn
Master Bug Buster

Post by Thrawn »

You're right, Giorgio owns all of the source code and *could* do this. Although I doubt that much of it would be reusable; he would mostly be starting over. It would be a lot of work for him, and the payoff is more dubious than with NoScript, because as mentioned above, there are probably other tools that do a good enough job. So I wouldn't hold my breath if I were you.

But it's up to Giorgio.
======
Thrawn
------------

True religion, which dares to acknowledge death and challenge the way we live, is an attempt to wake up.
gbcox

Post by gbcox »

I think it would be excellent if a version of Flashgot could be made available for Google Chrome/Chromium.
I've scoured the Chrome Store and there isn't anything that comes close. SimpleGet (now Uget Integration)
was available for a time, but doesn't work now since NPAPI support has been removed from Chrome/Chromium.

If it were made available, I believe it would quickly become the most popular extension. There simply isn't any
real competition.
Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Linux x86_64) AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/41.0.2251.0 Safari/537.36
Thrawn
Master Bug Buster

Post by Thrawn »

gbcox wrote:I think it would be excellent if a version of Flashgot could be made available for Google Chrome/Chromium.
I've scoured the Chrome Store and there isn't anything that comes close. SimpleGet (now Uget Integration)
was available for a time, but doesn't work now since NPAPI support has been removed from Chrome/Chromium.

If it were made available, I believe it would quickly become the most popular extension. There simply isn't any
real competition.
Well, Giorgio has added several features to NoScript as a result of being hired to do so by the Tor Foundation.
If you want to run a Kickstarter project or something and hire him to port FlashGot to Chromium, then I'm sure he'd be willing to talk to you.
Otherwise, it's a big job that he probably doesn't have spare time for at the moment.
======
Thrawn
------------

Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Ubuntu; Linux x86_64; rv:34.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/34.0