[REQUEST] Close Active Tab when download begins

Bug reports and enhancement requests
Ama97

[REQUEST] Close Active Tab when download begins

Post by Ama97 »

I'm using FlashGot to open embedded media in VLC Media Player (which I accomplished by adding VLC to the list of download managers).

So far it's working brilliantly. I visit a site with embedded media, click the FlashGot taskbar icon, VLC Media Player opens with the embedded media playing.

The only snag (and it's tiny) is that I've set VLC to open in fullscreen mode, which of course then covers Firefox which still has the video page open and playing. It's a minor inconvenience, I can minimize VLC, close the Firefox tab, maximise VLC.

Would it be very tricky to add a tickbox in FlashGots settings to close the active tab when a download is initiated?
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; WOW64; rv:24.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/24.0
Giorgio Maone
Site Admin

Re: [REQUEST] Close Active Tab when download begins

Post by Giorgio Maone »

Ama97

Post by Ama97 »

Thank you so much, it works perfectly!
therube
Ambassador

Post by therube »

That's pretty neat & does work well.

Though I have had some times where ... I'm going to say if the FlashGot Media icon appears, presumably with a valid link, though the actual playback has not yet begun, perhaps ? then link isn't sent to the (external) download manager?

Something of that nature, I'll have to pay better attention.

And then I've had cases too where even though playback has started, the link wasn't always firing to the download manager?

Another thought, that perhaps instead of closing the page altogether, you could instead kill (stop) the media playback? That way the media is no longer streaming, but if something went wrong with the capture, the page would still remain for you to refresh (though a Ctrl+Shift+T [perhaps different in FF?] should reopen the tab).
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.19) Gecko/20110420 SeaMonkey/2.0.14 Pinball NoScript FlashGot AdblockPlus
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 5.1; rv:25.0) Gecko/20100101 SeaMonkey/2.22a2