Switch download managers without downloading

Bug reports and enhancement requests
link68759

Switch download managers without downloading

Post by link68759 »

I have zero idea what the "autostart downloads" option does, as toggling it has no effect on anything that I can see.

Let me paint you a picture. I added MPC-HC as a "downloader" so I could have video content streamed through it. Sometimes, though, I would like to download the media file rather than stream it. So I click 'dta' from the little flashgot quicklist in my toolbar.

But guess what happened when I tried to switch back to mpc-hc?

300 instances of MPC-HC opened and tried to download/render varying parts of the page.

So... I propose that an option be added for custom executables: for media only. Or, "limit the number of executions to x". And the media icon should pop up a menu at left click populated by the list of streams, it shouldn't just go ahead and run them all (optionally?). Then right click of the media icon would be left free to allow you to switch between downloaders.

I am a bit confused by flashgot though. It's advertised as "working with DTA" but in all cases where DTA would be integrated, the feature set is redundant, so... it makes more sense to cut out the middle man and just use DTA instead. Am I missing something?
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 5.1; rv:18.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/15.4
Giorgio Maone
Site Admin

Re: Switch download managers without downloading

Post by Giorgio Maone »

link68759 wrote: I am a bit confused by flashgot though. It's advertised as "working with DTA" but in all cases where DTA would be integrated, the feature set is redundant, so... it makes more sense to cut out the middle man and just use DTA instead. Am I missing something?
No it's not. DTA is a download manager, FlashGot is an integrator which provides additional features such as redirection resolving (for file hosters) or media capture. So, even though there's some redundancy, it still makes sense to use FG+DTA.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; WOW64; rv:21.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/21.0
Thrawn
Master Bug Buster

Re: Switch download managers without downloading

Post by Thrawn »

Don't forget the gallery feature :).
Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Ubuntu; Linux i686; rv:21.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/21.0