Request: remove placeholder via context menu

Bug reports and enhancement requests
btriffles

Request: remove placeholder via context menu

Post by btriffles »

I would like to be able to right-click on a plug-in object placeholder and select "Remove Placeholder" to hide it.
I searched and found that a shift-click on the placeholder will hide it, but I think that method is inferior for several reasons:
  • Requires simultaneous use of mouse and keyboard
  • Not as intuitive/easy to discover without reading the instructions
  • Inconsistent with Firefox's default shift-click action (open in a new window)
This idea comes from my previous use of Flashblock. I find NoScript to be superior, but I miss the right-click removal option.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.9.0.7) Gecko/2009021910 Firefox/3.0.7 (.NET CLR 3.5.30729)
therube
Ambassador

Re: Request: remove placeholder via context menu

Post by therube »

If I may ask, under what circumstances would you typically use something like this?
(Only thing I can think of is to clean up a page when printing, or saving <as Web Page, complete>.)

Otherwise I would like some sort of "remove" button (or even shift+click) for already playing media.
(Bookmarklets may work, as well as an extension like Nuke Anything Enhanced. But at times these are too effective or difficult to get the correct element - especially when a page has multiple streams, often starting all at the same time.)
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.19) Gecko/20110420 SeaMonkey/2.0.14 Pinball NoScript FlashGot AdblockPlus
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.8.1.21) Gecko/20090403 SeaMonkey/1.1.16
btriffles

Re: Request: remove placeholder via context menu

Post by btriffles »

therube wrote:If I may ask, under what circumstances would you typically use something like this?
(Only thing I can think of is to clean up a page when printing, or saving <as Web Page, complete>.)
Sometimes parts of a web page can be obscured by the placeholders. For example, haven't you ever seen a site that covers the page with a Flash advertisement until you click on "no thanks"? Placeholders can even cause problems in more benign situations, such as reading the pronunciation keys on this site:
http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=rube
Other times I just want to remove unnecessary elements from the page to save space or prevent myself from accidentally clicking on them.
therube wrote:Otherwise I would like some sort of "remove" button (or even shift+click) for already playing media.
(Bookmarklets may work, as well as an extension like Nuke Anything Enhanced. But at times these are too effective or difficult to get the correct element - especially when a page has multiple streams, often starting all at the same time.)
I just use NoScript's "revoke temporary permissions" for this purpose. It suspect it would be difficult to add an option to already enabled objects because plug-ins seem to take control once they start running. I agree that it would be a nice feature though.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.9.0.7) Gecko/2009021910 Firefox/3.0.7 (.NET CLR 3.5.30729)