Placeholder icon for trusted sites?

Bug reports and enhancement requests
Sentinel

Placeholder icon for trusted sites?

Post by Sentinel »

On the Embeddings tab there is an option to "Show placeholder icon", but this only works on untrusted sites. I love this option and it is very helpful in determining what is wrong with a page display and it helps me to figure out what I am missing or what I have to allow in order for the page to display or work correctly.

The problem is that this does not work on trusted sites. I would love to have this option for trusted sites too because sometimes stuff on trusted sites is blocked but I don't know because there is no placeholder icon.

Now I know I can check the box to apply these settings to trusted sites too and that does work but the problem is that it then applies ALL the embeddings that are checked on that tab; not just the placeholder icon setting.

Thank you and I love this add-on! The best thing ever!
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 5.1; rv:7.0.1) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/7.0.1
Giorgio Maone
Site Admin

Re: Placeholder icon for trusted sites?

Post by Giorgio Maone »

As far as I can tell placeholders both on trusted and non trusted sites (they're turned off by default for sites marked as untrusted, but this can be configured as well).
On the other hand, on trusted sites you usually don't see them because the objects they're supposed to replace (Flash movies, Java applets and the like) are allowed by default.
If you want them to be blocked (thus replaced) on trusted sites as well, just tick NoScript Options|Embeddings|Apply these restrictions to whitelisted sites as well.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 5.2; WOW64; rv:7.0.1) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/7.0.1
Sentinel

Post by Sentinel »

I think this is the issue:
If I go to a site that is in my trusted sites whitelist, and that site has content from a site that is on my untrusted sites list, then it blocks that content (because I have it listed as untrusted) but it does not place a placeholder there because the page is a trusted page. In other words the setting to "show placeholder" only works on a untrusted site for all content. Once you place that site in your trusted list then that setting no longer works. Theoretically because all the content on that page would now be trusted. However you can be on a trusted site page and some of the content on that page will be from a site that you have listed in your untrusted sites list. Thus there will be blocked content on that page but there will be no placeholder for that blocked content.

For example: Let's say I go to a.net and that a.net serves ads from x.com. So I place a.net in my trusted sites but I place x.com in my UNtrusted sites list. Then when I go to A.com A.com will be a trusted site and noscript will block the ad coming from x.com but it will not show a placeholder for the ad from X.com because there is no setting on trusted sites to show placeholders for blocked objects. There is a setting for UNtrusted sites to show blocked objects.

When I am on an untrusted site I see placeholders for all the blocked stuff. But if I place that site in my trusted sites list then it unblocks all the stuff coming from that site but it keeps blocking all the stuff from other sites but it no longer shows a placeholder for them. Am I right? Perhaps I am not understanding it right.
Sentinel

Post by Sentinel »

I have figured out a workaround as I work this through in my own mind. If I just don't place sites permanently in the untrusted list then everything works correctly. I guess I don't need to place sites in the permanent untrusted (black) list any way since if they are not in the trusted list then they are by default blocked anyway. The only reason I do it really is just to make the list of possible stuff to allow shorter. On some sites it is quite long with so much content from third party sites.