Plugin Stop

Bug reports and enhancement requests
Saad

Plugin Stop

Post by Saad »

Hi.
Some times i click on a plugin(Flash or Silverlight or Video) but later i rue. and unfortunately i can't stop plugin loading. Can you add this feature that when we convey mouse over plugin, appear a button on corner of it that we be able to stop plugin loading by click on it. see an example:
http://isaad.persiangig.com/noscript_flashstop.gif

What is your thought about my suggest?

meantime i should say that i installed Adblock Plus add-on and when i convey mouse over a Flash plugin (swf) appears a "block" button on top right corner. indisputable picture is edited of screenshot of idem that i changed "block" to "stop".

Thanks.
Last edited by Tom T. on Tue Sep 18, 2012 4:25 am, edited 6 times in total.
Reason: delete signature that contains commercial offer and link
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; rv:5.0.1) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/5.0.1
therube
Ambassador

Re: Plugin Stop

Post by therube »

A bookmarklet perhaps? (Sometimes it can be a bit aggressive.)

zap plugins Removes java, flash, background music, and third-party iframes.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.19) Gecko/20110420 SeaMonkey/2.0.14 Pinball NoScript FlashGot AdblockPlus
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; rv:5.0) Gecko/20110706 Firefox/5.0 SeaMonkey/2.2
Saad

Post by Saad »

i want to Start/Stop loading plugins(Flash,Silverlight,Video) like Play/Stop movies in a movie player.
Last edited by Tom T. on Tue Sep 18, 2012 4:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
Saad

Post by Saad »

First post edited. Please read again. Thanks.
Last edited by Tom T. on Tue Sep 18, 2012 4:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
Saad

Post by Saad »

Plugins can stop by Contextual Menu. like this pic:
http://isaad.persiangig.com/noscript_stopplugin.gif

in pic third item of menu that is gray, is not played. ;)
Last edited by Tom T. on Tue Sep 18, 2012 4:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; rv:8.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/8.0
Tom T.
Field Marshal

Post by Tom T. »

Saad wrote:Hi.
Some times i click on a plugin(Flash or Silverlight or Video) but later i rue. and unfortunately i can't stop plugin loading. Can you add this feature that when we convey mouse over plugin, appear a button on corner of it that we be able to stop plugin loading by click on it.

meantime i should say that i installed Adblock Plus add-on and when i convey mouse over a Flash plugin (swf) appears a "block" button on top right corner. indisputable picture is edited of screenshot of idem that i changed "block" to "stop".
It sounds as though ABP has solved this for you.
At YouTube, once you've allowed the particular video, right-clicking on it produces a context menu (from YT, not from NS) that includes "Stop Download". But not all sites do this.
You can always close that browser tab. Then go back there, knowing you don't want the video. :)

Is this good enough?
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.9.2.23) Gecko/20110920 Firefox/3.6.23
Saad

Post by Saad »

Thanks, but is not enough! Usually in first page of Facebook there is several video that i try to open each video on new tab (if there video page link).
Last edited by Tom T. on Tue Sep 18, 2012 4:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; rv:8.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/8.0
GµårÐïåñ
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by GµårÐïåñ »

May I suggest using Flashblock (https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefo ... lashblock/) it will allow you to whitelist but for the default behavior, it will take flash and silverlight content and load them as stopped. You get to click on what you want to see and have it load, this way you don't have to deal with this. Good luck.
~.:[ Lï£ê ï§ å Lêmðñ åñÐ Ì Wåñ† M¥ Mðñê¥ ßå¢k ]:.~
________________ .: [ Major Mike's ] :. ________________
Mozilla/6.9 (Windows NT 6.9; rv:6.9) Gecko/69696969 Firefox/6.9
al_9x
Master Bug Buster

Post by al_9x »

GµårÐïåñ wrote:May I suggest using Flashblock
Can Flashblock terminate a running instance?
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 5.1; rv:8.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/8.0
GµårÐïåñ
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by GµårÐïåñ »

AFAIK no it cannot terminate an existing instance. However, when the page loads, it will prevent any of the flash from loading automatically (specially helpful if you have NoScript and have allowed the site but don't want it to run automatically and don't want to apply restrictions to trusted sites in NS) and you simply click on the object you want to actually play and it will allow it to play. It has whitelist as well but by default it will prevent anything from running and its nice that it covers silverlight as well. Its an accessory tool IMO and use it in a limited fringe cases that fit my behavior and since the user seemed to fit in that category, thought it might be useful to them as well.
Tom T.
Field Marshal

Post by Tom T. »

Saad wrote:Thanks, but is not enough! Usually in first page of Facebook there is several video that i try to open each video on new tab (if there video page link).
That's perfect. Open each in a new tab -- or better, perhaps, a new window. You just close that new tab or window if you don't like the video.

I'm not a Facebook user, but will this not work? It works at YouTube. I opened a new tab, started a video, then closed the tab. Even though this tab (here, NS forum) is still open, when I opened a new tab and tried the *same video* at YT, it still gave me the NS Block-logo. So it stops the download and cancels the temporary permission.

Edit: @ Guardian: Very funny on the UA, but you're probably fingerprinting your browser as globally unique. :lol:
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.9.2.23) Gecko/20110920 Firefox/3.6.23
al_9x
Master Bug Buster

Post by al_9x »

Terminating running instances would be a useful convenience/performance feature. Pages with multiple instances are not uncommon (e.g. forum threads) and many players continue to consume at least bandwidth even when paused (they usually can't be stopped), and sometimes even cpu, so terminating them is preferable to having to revoke temp perms and reloading the whole page. Giorgio, what do you think?
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 5.1; rv:8.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/8.0
GµårÐïåñ
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by GµårÐïåñ »

Tom T. wrote:Edit: @ Guardian: Very funny on the UA, but you're probably fingerprinting your browser as globally unique. :lol:
Yeah well usually anything that makes you unique also fingerprints you. Like my avatar, its pretty unique and yet recently I saw someone using it and I was so pissed but what you going do right? They can do what they want although kind of rude to hijack yours ;) But jokes aside, the UA originally came out of my need to test various server side checks and then kind of just stuck. The original UA is saved in another temporary placeholder pref, maybe I will switch it back but I got so used to it, I never bothered. Good eye though and good point as always my friend.
GµårÐïåñ
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by GµårÐïåñ »

al_9x wrote:Terminating running instances would be a useful convenience/performance feature. Pages with multiple instances are not uncommon (e.g. forum threads) and many players continue to consume at least bandwidth even when paused (they usually can't be stopped), and sometimes even cpu, so terminating them is preferable to having to revoke temp perms and reloading the whole page. Giorgio, what do you think?
I agree in the sense that when a resource is not being used, either blocked or whatever, it shouldn't consume resources at all or loaded until needed, but that is not always the case, so yeah I would like to hear thoughts on that too.
Tom T.
Field Marshal

Post by Tom T. »

Saad wrote: meantime i should say that i installed Adblock Plus add-on and when i convey mouse over a Flash plugin (swf) appears a "block" button on top right corner. indisputable picture is edited of screenshot of idem that i changed "block" to "stop".
Umm, everybody, per the OP, it seems that Adblock Plus solves the issue, so why add it to NoScript? Just askin'...