Add temporarily to Left clicking on NoScript toolbar button

Bug reports and enhancement requests
Alan Baxter
Ambassador

Add temporarily to Left clicking on NoScript toolbar button

Post by Alan Baxter »

NoScript > Options > General pane > Left clicking on NoScript toolbar button toggles permissions for current top-level site should have the word temporarily added to it. At least a couple of users thought it permanently toggled the permissions. That's what the option's description seems to imply. This may be the cause of some of the other "NoScript forgets sites I've added to the whitelist" complaints too.
http://forums.informaction.com/viewtopi ... 444#p28444

I suggest the option's description be changed to something like
Left clicking on NoScript toolbar button temporarily toggles permissions for current top-level site
with temporarily bolded in the description.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 5.1; rv:2.0.1) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/4.0.1
Giorgio Maone
Site Admin

Re: Add temporarily to Left clicking on NoScript toolbar but

Post by Giorgio Maone »

Alan Baxter wrote: I suggest the option's description be changed to something like
Left clicking on NoScript toolbar button temporarily toggles permissions for current top-level site
with temporarily bolded in the description.
Since people who's already using that way is unlikely to go back and read the text again, I'm more inclined to make the feature do what the label says and switch it to permanent.
After all, people who deducted the actual functionality by observation, and prefer temporary to permanent, are also more likely to spot the change and re-read the label.
Furthermore, the ultimate behavior may be tied to an about:config preference which power users can easily switch back.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 5.2; WOW64; rv:2.0.1) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/4.0.1
therube
Ambassador

Post by therube »

I'm more inclined to make the feature do what the label says and switch it to permanent
Whoa, whoa, I say no'a!
I would oppose any default permanent option.

Never had the occasion to use the Toolbar icon, though if I did, & long knowing that it was a toggle, I certainly would not want it to default to anything remotely Permanent. If there's a Preference, fine, but default it to Temporary, & force those who wish to do so, knowingly (& forcibly in that respect) make the change themselves. (I for see, I've got xyz in my whitelist but I never put it there.)
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.19) Gecko/20110420 SeaMonkey/2.0.14 Pinball NoScript FlashGot AdblockPlus
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.19) Gecko/20110420 SeaMonkey/2.0.14
tlu

Post by tlu »

therube wrote: Never had the occasion to use the Toolbar icon, though if I did, & long knowing that it was a toggle, I certainly would not want it to default to anything remotely Permanent. If there's a Preference, fine, but default it to Temporary, & force those who wish to do so, knowingly (& forcibly in that respect) make the change themselves.
I fully agree!
Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Linux x86_64; rv:2.0.1) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/4.0.1