copy uri's to clipboard

Bug reports and enhancement requests
nathaniel73

copy uri's to clipboard

Post by nathaniel73 »

This is my first post although I have been using NoScript for many years and a BIG thankyou to the developers for their time and effort.

My question/suggestion is this. I don't know how everyone here handles it but if I have time and wish to be more thorough I take a mental note of the url which is showing in the right click menu of the NoScript status button and enter it into another tab to find out what it is and decide if I want to allow it access or not.

This can get annoying after I've checked a few sites so my suggestion was this.

Is it possible to change the menu somehow to allow copying of the uri to the clipboard?? Making it possible to copy/paste into the address bar.

Of course if people on the forum have another method of checking sites/working out what to allow/block I'd like to hear it.

Many thanks
Nathaniel
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-GB; rv:1.9.1.5) Gecko/20091102 Firefox/3.5.5
Tom T.
Field Marshal

Re: copy uri's to clipboard

Post by Tom T. »

Thank you for your kind words. :)

I'm sorry that this has gone unanswered for so long. It's actually a feature request, so I'm moving it from "NoScript General" to "NoScript Development". Further reply there.

Thanks for your patience.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.5) Gecko/20091102 Firefox/3.5.5
Tom T.
Field Marshal

Post by Tom T. »

nathaniel73 wrote:... Making it possible to copy/paste into the address bar....
I like the idea of having, say, a right-click context menu on the list of blocked scripts, which would allow you to copy the URL to the clipboard.
But NOT to paste it into the address bar. What if the site *is* malicious? You don't *want* to go there, and perhaps be a victim of a "drive-by" download of malware.

A better use would be to go to, say, http://www.mywot.com, and paste the address into their Search box, to see what feedback is given. You can also install it as an add-on to Firefox. There are others, including SiteAdvisor, but IIRC, NoScript developer Giorgio Maone thought WOT to be the better of the two.

However, I'd like to share a personal philosophy and practice: It doesn't matter how trustworthy the site running the script might be. If what I want works without allowing any scripting, or with only partial allowance, then there is no need to bother checking the others. In other words, first see what works and doesn't work with all scripting blocked, then go from there. Need comes first, then trust.

Real-world examples: You can browse, and even edit, Wikipedia without allowing *any* of their scripting. So I don't allow it.
Another user had problems in downloading from Sourceforge.net. http://forums.informaction.com/viewtopi ... =10&t=3247
It turned out not to be NoScript-related, but in investigating, I found that I could download from there without allowing any scripting at all.

Sometimes you might have to allow the site you are on, but not third-party sites, most of which are advertisers, traffic-counters, etc. No need to check out the latter.

Having said all of that, I do like the idea of being able to copy to clipboard. Just don't go there -- go to a reference source first.

It's up to NoScript Developer Giorgio Maone whether to add this feature. If there's no response within a few days, I'll flag it for his attention.
Again, thanks for your patience.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.5) Gecko/20091102 Firefox/3.5.5
Giorgio Maone
Site Admin

Post by Giorgio Maone »

A mean to provide contextual info about the sites you're going to allow is indeed desirable and already planned, even though it's not feasible with the current menu-based UI.
As soon as the new dialog-based tabular UI for granular permissions is ready, plugging in features like these will be (almost) a breeze.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.2; en-US; rv:1.9.1.5) Gecko/20091102 Firefox/3.5.5 (.NET CLR 3.5.30729)