noscript inactiv without notification

Bug reports and enhancement requests
janus

noscript inactiv without notification

Post by janus »

Hi
i had a problem with noscript.
it was deaktivated without any notification, so all scripts were executed withoutmy knowlage. :(

the problem was with 1.9.1.4, it was deaktivated and said please restart firefox. but restarting FF doesn't help.
when i update to FF 3.0.8 i got a notification that some add ons will not work. after i update it was noscript.

first i thought it was a problem afer i installed linkification addon. but i think the reason is anotherone.
i use FF portable, because i want to use ist from both windows (dualboot). and i think here was the problem.
i think following happend. the update i recieved was in win2, in think after reboot in win 1 noscript was inactiv.
i most work in win1, and wonder that i got some aktivities, i thinjk they would blocked by noscript.
I didn't use FF then because, without noscript its to dangerous for me. in heise forum i talked with an other guy, but we could not find the reason.
when i use win2, i tried FF and now i saw, that noscript was installed, and after thet it worked in win1 and win2 instalation.
i hope you can follow me, what i mean.
in win 1 i work with a restricted user, and i think he had no right to access a file that was need. (in win 2 i worked with admin rights)

i know this is a very special case, and perhaps you think what i have to do with it. perhaps its a problem in FF, that can not handle that. in this reason, please give the problem to them.

noscript is a security feature. and i trusted it. but if it deaktivate without any notice to me, thats a big security hole for me.
i think its imposible, to ignore the rights problem, but i think its possible to give me a window that tell me, that noscript,( add block .. whatever) is deaktivated , because of a rights problem (perhaps same happends with i/o problem of harddisk) and ask me if FF should start anyway, start without opening any sites, terminate.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; de; rv:1.9.0.8) Gecko/2009032609 Firefox/3.0.8 (.NET CLR 3.5.30729)
GµårÐïåñ
Lieutenant Colonel

Re: noscript inactiv without notification

Post by GµårÐïåñ »

I don't know if the portable configuration of your Fx is the issue or not without actually seeing it in action but I can tell you that: 1) NoScript NEVER deactivates itself for any reason unless specifically done by the user, 2) NoScript is ALWAYS compatible with the latest Fx release as Giorgio actively debugs and tests while the releases are in pre-release.

That being said, it seems the problem lies entirely with how your Fx installation is configured and without access to your settings and profile directory it might be hard to figure out EXACTLY what is causing this. It might be a case of settings being saved on the desktop you are using instead of back to your portable device which would cause some discontinuity and/or a corruption of your settings file contributing to discontinuity.

It may just be me, but I think we need a bit more information to narrow this down?
~.:[ Lï£ê ï§ å Lêmðñ åñÐ Ì Wåñ† M¥ Mðñê¥ ßå¢k ]:.~
________________ .: [ Major Mike's ] :. ________________
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.1; en-US; rv:1.9.0.8) Gecko/2009032609 Firefox/3.0.8 FirePHP/0.2.4
janus

Post by janus »

i downloaded FF 3.0.6, installed some addons (adblockplus, noscript, flashblock). everything worked fine.
some day i recognize that javascript was not longer blocked. in the bottom there was no S icon (noscript) too. When i looked at addons, there was restart FF to finish update or something like that.
but restart did not help.

>1) NoScript NEVER deactivates itself for any reason unless specifically done by the user,

noscript was inactiv, every site did scripting, nothing was blocked. and i am sure i didn't tell noscript to be inactiv.

perhaps try this to check if you can get the situation
user no adminrights
install FF portable, on ntfs
install noscript, older version
change to user with admin right
allow download the noscript update, but don't restart FF
(terminate it normal or it it dont work let it crash)
now change back to user with restricted rights (no admin)
start FF
i think know noscript is inactiv, and FF executes everys script it gets.

the only think i did to fix that problem was to start FF with the admin user one time, nothing else.
after that it worked again with the restricted user, without any other configuration.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; de; rv:1.9.0.8) Gecko/2009032609 Firefox/3.0.8 (.NET CLR 3.5.30729)
Giorgio Maone
Site Admin

Post by Giorgio Maone »

Maybe an extensions conflict.
Please try Standard Diagnostic.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.2; en-US; rv:1.9.0.8) Gecko/2009032609 Firefox/3.0.8 (.NET CLR 3.5.30729)
GµårÐïåñ
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by GµårÐïåñ »

Please do as Giorgio requested to make sure but as for my own suggestion, there was one very KEY thing you mentioned in your steps to recreate which I can tell you right now is your issue.
user no adminrights
During the update process, access to the "program files" directory or "programs" directory, depending on how the system is configured, in your case portable, requires admin rights to modify and edit certain files. This is the main reason system admins will invoke policies to limit user function to avoid them installing something or upgrading without a patch management policy and so on.

I am willing to bet, barring some ridiculous fluke issue, that if your configuration was run WITH admin rights, you would not experience this issue, or at least the UPDATES are done using admin rights to make sure the settings and file modifications are done properly.
~.:[ Lï£ê ï§ å Lêmðñ åñÐ Ì Wåñ† M¥ Mðñê¥ ßå¢k ]:.~
________________ .: [ Major Mike's ] :. ________________
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.1; en-US; rv:1.9.0.8) Gecko/2009032609 Firefox/3.0.8