Temporary trust all should overwrite customized websites

Bug reports and enhancement requests
iow

Temporary trust all should overwrite customized websites

Post by iow »

I have a lot of customized entries (for general websites like cloudflare, amzon aws, etc) in my noscript configuration. Each time I visit a new website that requires those already customized ones, the "Set all on this page to Temporarily Trusted" option does not overwrite the customization. I think it should overwrite the customized but not overwrite the untrusted websites.
Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Linux x86_64; rv:91.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/91.0
Giorgio Maone
Site Admin

Re: Temporary trust all should overwrite customized websites

Post by Giorgio Maone »

This command actually turns to Temorarily Trusted only those sites which have no preset assigned yet (i.e. DEFAULT ones), also because the CUSTOM one are usually more restricted than the TRUSTED ones.
If you want everything to be temporarily unrestricted on the site you're visiting, you might want to try "Disable restrictions for this tab".
Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Linux x86_64; rv:104.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/104.0
barbaz

Post by barbaz »

Whenever a site is set to Temp. TRUSTED, revoking that temporary permission sets the site to DEFAULT (no configured permission), *not* the last configured permanent permission, regardless of how it was set immediately before the temporary permission. The requested behavior change would cause users' CUSTOM permissions to be unexpectedly deleted. And targeting CUSTOM permissions for this change makes it especially bad, since CUSTOM permissions take the most time and thought to configure and subsume all contextual/per-top-level-site permissions.

*Always* check the changelogs BEFORE updating that important software!
-
iow

Post by iow »

Giorgio Maone wrote: Mon Aug 15, 2022 4:00 pm This command actually turns to Temorarily Trusted only those sites which have no preset assigned yet (i.e. DEFAULT ones), also because the CUSTOM one are usually more restricted than the TRUSTED ones.
If you want everything to be temporarily unrestricted on the site you're visiting, you might want to try "Disable restrictions for this tab".
I often run into this situation: I open a new website, only to find that some of the related websites are untrusted (e.g., ad servers) in my config, some of them are configured (only accessible when another website is visited). Often I want to temporarily enable those websites that are not untrusted, including websites that are not in my config and those have been configured (but not related to this website). That's why I think Temp. Trusted should also temporarily enable those configured websites but not untrusted websites. My understanding is that "disable restrictions for this tab" will also enable the untrusted websites so it's not ideal.

I have no idea how complicated it is to achieve the above. Just a suggestion.
barbaz

Post by barbaz »

iow wrote: Wed Aug 17, 2022 3:17 am untrusted (e.g., ad servers)
You could use uBlock Origin alongside NoScript, leave to uBlock Origin to block the Untrusted sites while you "Disable restrictions for this tab" in NoScript. The default configuration of uBlock Origin includes blocking of ad servers.
-
iow

Post by iow »

barbaz wrote: Wed Aug 17, 2022 3:56 pm
iow wrote: Wed Aug 17, 2022 3:17 am untrusted (e.g., ad servers)
You could use uBlock Origin alongside NoScript, leave to uBlock Origin to block the Untrusted sites while you "Disable restrictions for this tab" in NoScript. The default configuration of uBlock Origin includes blocking of ad servers.
About that I always have a question of which one comes first in terms of blocking websites. It seems to be possible that both noscript and ublock origin are set to block the same website simultaneously. But which one does it first? And if one takes action first, will the other even "know" such a website exist?
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:91.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/91.0
barbaz

Post by barbaz »

iow wrote: Wed Aug 17, 2022 7:24 pm which one does it first?
Not sure if indeterminate or if the order in which you installed the extensions decides this.
iow wrote: Wed Aug 17, 2022 7:24 pm And if one takes action first, will the other even "know" such a website exist?
Theoretically no, but in practice it almost always does know on my browser and I don't recall having any issue from when one didn't know.
-
Giorgio Maone
Site Admin

Post by Giorgio Maone »

Last time I checked (pending WebExtensions API implementation changes) who blocks first depends on the listeners registration order, which on first approximation is tied to installation order but can be tweaked by the extension to some extent by unregistering and re-registering their listeners in order to be the latest callback: in facts NoScript does this, aiming to operate in a more predictable way, but even so there's no guarantee - especially if other extensions race to do the same.

So yes, generally speaking you can consider this unpredictable, and on the practical side if you've got multiple content blockers and something is not working you should check each of them (and Firefox itself, since "enhanced tracking protection" is a thing).
Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Linux x86_64; rv:104.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/104.0
iow

Post by iow »

That blocking sequence roughly depends on registration order is definitely eye-opening to me. Thanks for the education!
musonius
Master Bug Buster

Post by musonius »

iow wrote: Mon Aug 15, 2022 3:52 pm "Set all on this page to Temporarily Trusted" option does not overwrite the customization. I think it should overwrite the customized but not overwrite the untrusted websites.
I think it would probably work for you, if there were an option that "Disable restrictions for this tab" respected UNTRUSTED. That is, if that option were set, any restriction apart from UNTRUSTED would be disabled.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:103.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/103.0