[FIXED] Contextual permissions display consistency error in Options

Bug reports and enhancement requests
barbaz

[FIXED] Contextual permissions display consistency error in Options

Post by barbaz »

NoScript Options > Per-site Permissions, click the "CUSTOM" of a site that has contextual permissions. Click the drop-down. Use down arrow key to move drop-down to next item. That works, ok. Use up arrow key to move drop-down to previous item...it closes the CUSTOM panel. Ok, click the CUSTOM again to re-open it...and now only "ANY SITE" is in the drop-down? And the actual permissions displayed are not those set for "ANY SITE", but those of a site-specific context?

Reloading NoScript Options page brings all the contextual permissions listings back to what they should be.
*Always* check the changelogs BEFORE updating that important software!
-
Giorgio Maone
Site Admin

Re: Contextual permissions display consistency error in Options

Post by Giorgio Maone »

Should be fixed in latest development build, thanks.

v 11.3.4rc1
============================================================
x [L10n] Updated de
x Fix for contextual permissions display inconsistencies in
options panel (thanks barbaz for reporting)
Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Ubuntu; Linux x86_64; rv:98.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/98.0
barbaz

Post by barbaz »

Thanks, display consistency issue is fixed. One more question: Is it specifically intended by design that Up arrow closes the CUSTOM panel when the contextual permission selector drop-down is focused?

When any other element is focused, this behavior would make sense. But when a <select> has focus, the expected behavior of Up/Down arrow keys is the default of changing the option in the <select>. It's especially expected in this case since Down arrow does work that way. I'm not sure if this would also be an accessibility concern.
*Always* check the changelogs BEFORE updating that important software!
-
Giorgio Maone
Site Admin

Post by Giorgio Maone »

barbaz wrote: Wed Feb 23, 2022 12:57 am One more question: Is it specifically intended by design that Up arrow closes the CUSTOM panel when the contextual permission selector drop-down is focused?
It is designed this way, but it could change if necessary, and I'm planning indeed some slight keyboard navigation changes due to the presence of the new contextual UI elements: e.g. I'm not sure switching focus directly to the first capability checkbox (now skipping the context dropdown) still makes sense.
Also, along with a security review, NoScript is also going to receive a full accessibility review, likely next week, as a part of the NLnet support program, so it's the best time to fix these issues.
Unfortunately yesterday I coldn't reproduce this specific problem on my system Ubuntu 20.04 LTS because I expictly opened the dropdown with the space bar before using the arrow keys, and this way the event didn't propagate to the parent panel and didn't cause it to close (probably because when the dropdown is already opened th focus switches to a native popup).
Now I can see what's happening if you use the arrow key directly when the dropdown is closed but focused, and it indeed needs to be fixed, by explicitely control for the event target of the arrow key events before closing the CUSTOMization panel. Thank you!
Giorgio Maone
Site Admin

Post by Giorgio Maone »

barbaz wrote: Wed Feb 23, 2022 12:57 am When any other element is focused, this behavior would make sense. But when a <select> has focus, the expected behavior of Up/Down arrow keys is the default of changing the option in the <select>. It's especially expected in this case since Down arrow does work that way. I'm not sure if this would also be an accessibility concern.
Fixed in latest development build, thanks:
v 11.3.4rc2
============================================================
x Avoid closing the customizer on arrow up key context
selection change (thanks barbaz for reporting)
x Prominently warn user whenever restrictions are disabled
x Support icon buttons elsewhere in the UI (e.g. in the
messagebox)
x Support for selectively hiding messages
x Support for extra UI in the popup's message box
x Prevent popup closure and automatic reload when
restrictions are disabled for the tab or globally
x Use a 5 seconds timeout to remotely fetch HTML events
source
x Better accessibility and styling for popup global buttons