NoScript goes brain-dead on Brave

Bug reports and enhancement requests
motminh

NoScript goes brain-dead on Brave

Post by motminh »

Sorry, if this has come up before; but I couldn't find such a report in my searching.

Several times NoScript installed into a Brave Profile (Brave is a derivative of Chromium); gets stuck thinking it is still working on a URL, when the URL has changed.

In other words, I'll be visiting website#1 and NoScript behaves properly. I open a new tab for website#2 (completely different from website#1, not just another location on the same site); but NoScript still displays the sites utilized for website#1. NoScript does not show the list of sites (either "Trusted" or Default Not Trusted) of website #2. The only way to make website#2 work is to globally turn off NoScript and leave it off. :-((((

The only way I've found to fix this is to restart the entire Brave browser, or remove and re-add NoScript. But once a profile falls into this behavior it will replete again within a short time.

The only "real" fix seems to be to create an entirely new profile, install all new extensions for it, move all bookmarks, saved passwords, etc... to this new profile and delete the problematic one. Problem is, eventually the new profile falls into the same trap!
Mozilla/5.0 (Macintosh; Intel Mac OS X 10_15_7) AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/97.0.4692.99 Safari/537.36
barbaz

Re: NoScript goes brain-dead on Brave

Post by barbaz »

What version of NoScript?
Does this also happen in other Chromium-based browsers?
*Always* check the changelogs BEFORE updating that important software!
Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Linux x86_64) AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/96.0.4664.175 Safari/537.36
motminh

Post by motminh »

I have not tried any other Chromium-based browser. I explicitly used Brave for being a cleaned up Chromium with no Phone-Home or other privacy reduction actions.

I did not list a NoScript version because this has been going on for almost 2 years - thus multiple versions of Brave and multiple versions of NoScript.
(I just now got frustrated enough to create an account here to report the issue).

The current NoScript version is 11.2.11 and Brave 1.34.81 (Chromium: 97.0.4692.99).
Mozilla/5.0 (Macintosh; Intel Mac OS X 10_15_7) AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/97.0.4692.99 Safari/537.36
barbaz

Post by barbaz »

This is sounding similar to viewtopic.php?f=8&t=26321 which was a Brave issue, not a NoScript issue and not something NoScript could even work around. Are you unable to test any other Chromium based browser even in a VM?
Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Linux x86_64) AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/96.0.4664.175 Safari/537.36
motminh

Post by motminh »

I have enabled NoScript for private windows; but none of what I described had any form of private windows involved. I'm more than willing to believe this is a Brave bug. Is there any thoughts on another way to explain the problem on Brave without mentioning Tor or Private Window so I can make a better bug report against Brave?
barbaz

Post by barbaz »

I take it you don't have any environment where you could test any other Chromium-based browser, even in VM.

You maybe able to get more information by going to Extensions, enabling Developer Mode, then enabling "Collect errors" for NoScript (I'm not sure if restarting Brave is also needed). When this issue occurs you can go back to Extensions, then NoScript should have an "Errors" button if there were any. Anything related to this issue there?

Also, any related messages in Developer Tools > Console on a webpage where this issue occurs?

This info would help determine whether this is more likely a NoScript issue or a Brave issue.