Icons missing in NS Classic

Bug reports and enhancement requests
apollo702

Icons missing in NS Classic

Post by apollo702 »

OK, I have done some reading and found a number of interesting things since I have been away for a while. I did some searches and came up empty on my specifics. There was lots of interesting information- just not this situation.

I running Pale Moon 28.2.2 (64 bit) and for a long time I stuck with NS I believe it was 2.6.19. Just a few days ago I bit the bullet and went with the latest Classic NS 5.19. My 3 icons(main, temporarily allow and revoke temporary permissions) vanished. The only interface I see is when I go to new pages with unconfigured scripts. Then I can control it for a brief moment.

So, AFAIK there have been some changes in I believe it's the 10 series and I did see some interesting reading there. However, I seem to have missed any references to this specific issue.

My questions are:

*Has this one already been solved?- if so, does anybody have a handy link to any posts that I missed?

*Is anybody else encountering this?

*If it hasn't been discovered/fixed... I would like to put in a request for a patch(if necessary.)

Also, if any additional specs, information... or whatever is needed I will gladly provide it.

Lastly, I know that I have been away for a while- but I do want to thank Georgio and everyone else contributing for staying on it and keeping us all in the game.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; Win64; x64; rv:60.9) Gecko/20100101 Goanna/4.1 Firefox/60.9 PaleMoon/28.2.2
barbaz

Re: Icons missing in NS Classic

Post by barbaz »

Pale Moon is not a supported browser. Do you see this problem in Firefox 52 ESR or SeaMonkey?
*Always* check the changelogs BEFORE updating that important software!
-
therube
Ambassador

Post by therube »

You're speaking of the right-click context menu, or working off the NoScript statusbar icon?

There was 1 version, perhaps early on 28, where the icon has not stuck.
One of their point releases fixed that even though there was nothing specific in the release that would have any affect on the matter.

NoScript icon has persisted since then, from all I have seen.
And there is no mention of this on the PM forums.

Maybe you have some other extension that is interfering?
Disable all other extensions except for NoScript & test.

As a test, create a new, clean Profile, install only NoScript & test.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.19) Gecko/20110420 SeaMonkey/2.0.14 Pinball NoScript FlashGot AdblockPlus
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; Win64; x64; rv:52.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/52.0 SeaMonkey/2.49.5
therube
Ambassador

Post by therube »

PM: Disappearing extension icons (though NoScript not mentioned).

Might want to post there, listing all the extensions you have as maybe there is something common between you & the other reporter.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.19) Gecko/20110420 SeaMonkey/2.0.14 Pinball NoScript FlashGot AdblockPlus
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; Win64; x64; rv:52.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/52.0 SeaMonkey/2.49.5
apollo702

Post by apollo702 »

It took a while to get back and the findings were mostly a failure. Here are the results:

PM: No buttons to be found.

Seamonkey: Yes! All 3 classic buttons work.

FF: First I grabbed a 60 ESR and it wasn't able to do it. Then after considerable searching I finally found a 52 ESR and redownloaded a NS Classic- and it could only display one mostly transparent button.

So basically, I could only get it to work on a backup browser. What would it take to get a patch, workaround...?

Edit: Then I saw The Rube's question:
PM: Disappearing extension icons (though NoScript not mentioned).

Might want to post there, listing all the extensions you have as maybe there is something common between you & the other reporter.
Are you suggesting deleting the localstore.rdf file? I have done that countless times(in other situations) and it has yet to rescue a buggy or blocked icon. AFAIHS it won't do that.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; Win64; x64; rv:60.9) Gecko/20100101 Goanna/4.1 Firefox/60.9 PaleMoon/28.2.2
apollo702

Post by apollo702 »

Earlier today while eating one of my meals I watched a Twilight Zone. I think that what happened so far might qualify for an episode of it too.

I started performing more experiments, disabling blocks of extensions, restarts... and nothing appeared to be happening. A couple of the restarts were discouraging and I got some strange buggy semi-responsiveness out of the browser. I did a manual shutdown(since even the restart button wasn't responding) and on the next start (on a lark) I tried customizing the toolbars and the 3 icons were available again! :o I put them where they belonged with my other privacy/security extensions and hoped they would remain after further testing.

Now, here is where it gets strange: On that start bunch of the disabled extensions re-enabled themselves and the ones that I was starting to suspect as having potential conflicts were proven not to be in conflict. Apparently, somehow the disabling of extensions failed on that start.

I did several more restarts and everything was perfectly in place- including the ever beloved 3 NS icons. However, one of the restarts was again strangely mostly responsive with another unresponsive script error. The actual selected tab is Noscript.net strangely enough and I have no idea if that is the least bit relevant or not.

I then did a couple more restarts and everything appears to be stable- at least so far. So apparently extension conflicts are out and ultimately I really changed nothing- and yet the icons somehow re-appeared. As much as I want to claim credit; I have fixed many things in my days and I didn't do this one! :shock:

I have to take a moment and try to digest what the heck actually happened. :?