View Comments Requires Disabling - Game Stopper

Bug reports and enhancement requests
iOn-Christopher

View Comments Requires Disabling - Game Stopper

Post by iOn-Christopher »

So, there is no way to enable "SEE MESSAGES" on many sites. Not even "enable all this page" works. Nor does "close" work on the left-click menu top-left. I have to disable the entire plug-in. That's not a good thing for hard working intelligentsia like myself!

This seems to be the rule and not the exception - about 80% of sites other than YouTube and WordPress classic just spin their wait-gif and never show messages no matter what I do through the menu, before or after I click "SEE MESSAGES" or whatever.

Example:
Quantum radar may have already defeated the F-35
http://www.news.com.au/technology/innov ... 4b6f0fbab#

I recommend you put some teeth into your "enable all this page temporarily" and also give us a PERMANENT version of that please.

Otherwise this thing is a valued arrow in the quiver of defense against bad players and inexperienced developers!

So please fix it! :( Please and thanks.
Last edited by barbaz on Sat Mar 24, 2018 2:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Removed all-caps from the title. Yelling is not constructive.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:59.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/59.0
barbaz

Re: View Comments Requires Disabling - Game Stopper

Post by barbaz »

What are your settings for the Trusted preset?
*Always* check the changelogs BEFORE updating that important software!
-
Giorgio Maone
Site Admin

Re: VIEW COMMENTS REQUIRES DISABLING - GAME STOPPER

Post by Giorgio Maone »

Unfortunately that's not a bug, but a rather annoying (and fortunately rare) situation caused by sites which include several 3rd party scripts on demand, i.e. only as soon as users perform specific interaction, rather than at page load time.

Actually for that page to show its comment section all you need to be set to TRUSTED are just 3 domains:
  1. news.com.au
  2. newscdn.com.au
  3. cloudfront.net
Unfortunately the 3rd, cloudfront.net, doesn't even attempt to load untik you manually click the "Show Comments" link, so there's no way for NoScript to know it's required beforehand and show it in its menu, so I understand your confusion.
What I needed to do has been using "Temporarily allow all this page" 2 or 3 times (in order to allow 3rd party scripts to load their further 3rd party dependencies), then clicking the "Show Comments" link and finally setting cloudfront.net (now in the popup menu) to TRUSTED.

Since you already know now that cloudfront.net is required, you can just manually add it in "NoScript Options > Per Site Permissions", instead.
iOn-Christopher

Thanks. I know this is a major piece of work and I thank you that it works well otherwise - and I'm sure you will resolve this soon.

I'll try that specific bit about CloudFront shortly.

Still a suggestion, I think that you could have a real OVERRIDE SWITCH? Isn't it possible to do that for a Tab?

OR if not, then JUST A SUSPEND / TIMED SUSPEND? I Said that I wasn't able to even EXIT / QUIT the program without disabling NoScript in the FireFox menu. A TOTAL SUSPEND would work okay in a pinch.

:geek:
iOn-Christopher

Georgio,

Okay, so the manual add went fine. Unfortunately, I couldn't get the repeated "Temp Allow" to force CloudFront.net to show, so I would never have found out. It's also a rat's nest of feeds most every time. That makes it a high-cognitive load and I don't have that much left! Your solution to have lookups is great.

BTW I learned that the only way to sustain high-change lists - is to enable a wiki based solution that anyone can add to. The coder (if that's not you) can do one thing a bit fancy: if/then go direct to existing entry / else create a new entry.

Best regards all.
Giorgio Maone
Site Admin

Post by Giorgio Maone »

iOn-Christopher wrote: Still a suggestion, I think that you could have a real OVERRIDE SWITCH? Isn't it possible to do that for a Tab?
That's is something I've been considered for a while now, seen that situations like this are becoming more common.
Probably worth trying, thanks.
Giorgio Maone
Site Admin

Post by Giorgio Maone »

Giorgio Maone wrote:
iOn-Christopher wrote: Still a suggestion, I think that you could have a real OVERRIDE SWITCH? Isn't it possible to do that for a Tab?
That's is something I've been considered for a while now, seen that situations like this are becoming more common.
Probably worth trying, thanks.
Please check latest development build,
v 10.1.8rc1
=============================================================
+ [UI] "Disable restrictions for this tab" button in popup
+ [UI] "Disable restrictions globally" button in popup
x [UI] Simplified URL management in "Allow object" prompt
x Fixed dynamic scripts URL matching inconsistencies
FranL

Post by FranL »

Can you clarify: Does clicking "Disable restrictions for this tab" disable NoScript entirely but just in the current tab?
Thanks.
--
Fran
Giorgio Maone
Site Admin

Post by Giorgio Maone »

FranL wrote:Can you clarify: Does clicking "Disable restrictions for this tab" disable NoScript entirely but just in the current tab?
Thanks.
It disable all the permissions checks for any type of content (scripts, objects, media etc), just like "Allow scripts globally" but just in the current tab.
It does not disable the XSS filter and, in perspective, ClearClick & ABE.
FranL

Post by FranL »

Giorgio Maone wrote:
FranL wrote:Can you clarify: Does clicking "Disable restrictions for this tab" disable NoScript entirely but just in the current tab?
Thanks.
It disable all the permissions checks for any type of content (scripts, objects, media etc), just like "Allow scripts globally" but just in the current tab.
It does not disable the XSS filter and, in perspective, ClearClick & ABE.
Thanks. Am I right to think of "Disable restrictions for this tab" as being equivalent to the union of these two:
  • Checking every checkbox in the TRUSTED trust level (but only affecting the current tab).
  • Repeatedly clicking "Set all on this page to Temporary TRUSTED" and reloading the page until every domain is Temporary TRUSTED (but only affecting the current tab).
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; Win64; x64; rv:59.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/59.0