Suggestion: change tooltip to clarify temporary v permanent

Bug reports and enhancement requests
sea_sea

Suggestion: change tooltip to clarify temporary v permanent

Post by sea_sea »

Hello,

Like many I was confused by the recent UI change. Having read the explanations in this forum (one click for temporary as it's the most common) and with the new icons as of 10.1.6ish it is a bit clearer. But I can see from posts here that many are confused.

One possible way to help would be if the tooltip changed between states. Right now if you hover over the clock it says 'Temporarily allow (TRUSTED)'. This wording persists whether the clock is big or small / whether your permissions are temporary or persistent. It is also not clear whether the wording refers to the current state or the action that will occur when you press the clock. So I would check the tooltip then think 'aha, I must have set it to permanent - click to make temporary. Wait, maybe this is permanent and that was temporary?' Etc. And the only way to check was to close the browser.

Perhaps this could be changed to: 'Temporarily allowed (TRUSTED)' and 'Permanently allowed (TRUSTED)'.

Many thanks for your consideration :)

Sea
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:57.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/57.0
Tomatix

Re: Suggestion: change tooltip to clarify temporary v perman

Post by Tomatix »

sea_sea wrote: Perhaps this could be changed to: 'Temporarily allowed (TRUSTED)' and 'Permanently allowed (TRUSTED)'.
Agree. The lock needs something likewise as well.
But I think usually the tooltip shows, what a button will do when pressed.

The FF reader view button is a nice way of doing it (little risk of causing confusion):
It explicitly says: Enter Reader View and Close Reader View.
Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Ubuntu; Linux x86_64; rv:57.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/57.0
sea_sea

Post by sea_sea »

That is what I would normally expect, but isn't quite what the other icons do (although none work quite like the clock). But of course if that's the preference, they could be clarified with something like:

'Make trust permanent' and 'Make trust temporary'.

Completely agree the lock should also have different tooltips when green and red.
FranL

Post by FranL »

sea_sea wrote:'Make trust permanent' and 'Make trust temporary'.
I second this. IMHO, tooltips that start with verbs are more intuitive.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; Win64; x64; rv:57.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/57.0
rnc

Post by rnc »

Tomatix wrote:
sea_sea wrote: Perhaps this could be changed to: 'Temporarily allowed (TRUSTED)' and 'Permanently allowed (TRUSTED)'.
Agree. The lock needs something likewise as well.
But I think usually the tooltip shows, what a button will do when pressed.

The FF reader view button is a nice way of doing it (little risk of causing confusion):
It explicitly says: Enter Reader View and Close Reader View.

The lock icon I must admit is really confusing. If something is in 'red padlock' does that mean its match to HTTPS or matching to HTTP? The tooltip hover really doesn't help because it doesn't change context - if there is a green padlock the tooltip stays the same.
Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Fedora; Linux x86_64; rv:57.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/57.0
FranL

Post by FranL »

rnc wrote:If something is in 'red padlock' does that mean its match to HTTPS or matching to HTTP?
Both HTTP and HTTPS. The red padlock indicates danger (i.e., NoScript is allowing content from insecure pages). The green padlock indicates safety (i.e., NoScript is only allowing content from HTTPS pages).
rnc

Post by rnc »

FranL wrote:
rnc wrote:If something is in 'red padlock' does that mean its match to HTTPS or matching to HTTP?
Both HTTP and HTTPS. The red padlock indicates danger (i.e., NoScript is allowing content from insecure pages). The green padlock indicates safety (i.e., NoScript is only allowing content from HTTPS pages).
Thanks! If I was to run HTTPSEverywhere then would that cause any incompatibility issues? Assuming it doesn't leaving on green is potentially best and let HTTPSEverywhere try and make things https ?
Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Fedora; Linux x86_64; rv:57.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/57.0
FranL

Post by FranL »

rnc wrote:
FranL wrote:
Thanks! If I was to run HTTPSEverywhere then would that cause any incompatibility issues? Assuming it doesn't leaving on green is potentially best and let HTTPSEverywhere try and make things https ?
I run HTTPS Everywhere alongside NoScript with no trouble in FF 57.0.2 on Windows 7 & 10. I also run uBlock Origin and Privacy Badger without problem. uBO and PB block content before NoScript sees it, so if a page malfunctions even after you've trusted every domain in NoScript, you'll need to modify the uBO/PB configuration for the page.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; Win64; x64; rv:57.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/57.0