Safety design request: prompt before global changes (new v10

Bug reports and enhancement requests
GIORGIO_IS_GREAT

Safety design request: prompt before global changes (new v10

Post by GIORGIO_IS_GREAT »

How about a prompt whenever changing a checkbox on Trusted, Untrusted, and Default. (Not custom)
"This change will affect EVERY domain whose status is Trusted|Untrusted|Default." Do you wish to make this change for EVERY site of this category?" {OK / CANCEL}

I expect that changes to those three should be rare. However if there is unpleasant reception to it, a checkbox could be added to the messagebox prompt:
"Click here if you no longer wish to receive this warning"
(and of course have a nonhidden way to restore the warning if someone accidentally turns it off)

A primary reason for this is that in my perception it is currently VERY easy for beginners and experts alike to make undesired and potentially unsafe permanent changes in the current state.

Note, I am unclear as to whether the "temporary clock," or the disabled (unclicked) temporary clock setting, should affect the recommendation above; discuss?

Perhaps Giorgio has this intent already, and is leaving it "loose" while kinks are being ironed out. No need to beat him up; he is clearly conscientious and an asset to all whose world he has benefitted. A million blessings to him for the abuse he has been forced to endure due to Mozilla's forced changes; please, only positive and constructive responses on this - thank you.
All NoScript is outstanding. :) :)
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; Win64; x64; rv:57.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/57.0
barbaz

Re: Safety design request: prompt before global changes (new

Post by barbaz »

I think it would be better to move customisation of Default, Trusted, and Untrusted out to some "global settings" instead of being underneath each site. Then is no need for a warning.
GIORGIO_IS_GREAT wrote:Note, I am unclear as to whether the "temporary clock," or the disabled (unclicked) temporary clock setting, should affect the recommendation above; discuss?
Clicking the clock on one Trusted site only affects the one site. It does *not* affect every Trusted site. I don't see how the warning prompt you're suggesting would apply to the clock?
*Always* check the changelogs BEFORE updating that important software!
-
Giorgio Maone
Site Admin

Re: Safety design request: prompt before global changes (new

Post by Giorgio Maone »

(cross-post from https://forums.informaction.com/viewtop ... 828#p94828)
Giorgio Maone wrote: What I'm likely gonna do very soon is moving the customizability of the DEFAULT, TRUSTED and UNTRUSTED preset in the Options tab, either inline as it is (but with an extra warning label saying it applies to all the sites) or in a separate dedicated section.
The inline customization row for the CUSTOM section, instead, would be kept in both the popup and the Options tab, along with the "needed capabilities" hilights.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:57.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/57.0