NoScript-10+ & NoScript-5+ Feature Requests & Comments:

Bug reports and enhancement requests
Bounder

NoScript-10+ & NoScript-5+ Feature Requests & Comments:

Post by Bounder »

Hi Giorgio. Firstly, my thanks for all the excellent work on NS. I am very much enjoying the NS-5+ "Classic" branch so far. Now for my requests and comments. Please forgive any redundancy where I may state the obvious:

I'm assuming and very much hoping that the new branch will come to retain at the very least, all of the old features. I do realise that while the new user interface (UI) is different, it does not mean that any of the old features/functionality should cease to exist.

Some of the options, actions, and features that I'd like to see reinstated are:
  • * Full addresses: The option for us to have full addresses displayed.
    * "Temporaliy allow" each address with one click.
    * "Enable Automatic Secure Cookies Management", and the related sub-options:
    • + "Force encryption for all the cookies set over HTTPS by the following sites:"
      + "Ignore unsafe cookies set over HTTPS by the following sites:"
    * "Automatically reload affected pages when permissions change", and the sub option:
    • + "Reload the current tab only".
Other hopes/requests relate to the NoScript site https://noscript.net/
Lastly for now, a guide for people wondering why the old UI cannot be retained for the new NS-10+ branch:
Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Linux x86_64; rv:56.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/56.0
duggulous

Re: NoScript-10+ & NoScript-5+ Feature Requests & Comments:

Post by duggulous »

+1 on on full addresses and source code
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.3; Win64; x64; rv:57.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/57.0
barbaz

Post by barbaz »

Source code is going to be put on Github.
*Always* check the changelogs BEFORE updating that important software!
-
Bounder

Post by Bounder »

Thanks Barbaz. Re: Source Code: I do recall Giorgio stating such over at Hackademix during the early phase of NS-10+ release.

What I'm actually asking for is: In the interim while we wait for the GitHub repo, it would be most helpful if clear and prominent instructions about how to access the source code are posted on the NoScript home page. I know how to access the source code, but no doubt there are many who don't know.
Bounder

Post by Bounder »

One assurance I desperately seek is: Will the NS-10+ branch retain at the very least; all of the same functions and granularity as the old (NS-5+) branch?

In addition to my first post on this thread; some of NoScript's valuable & unique functions in the NS-5+ branch that I'd like to see continued in NS-10+ include:
* Script Surrogates.
* ABE.
* ClearClick.
Mistame

Post by Mistame »

I'd like to add that in NoScript 10+, custom options for "Trusted" seem to be a bit redundant. If a user wants to customize what is/isn't allowed for a site, wouldn't that fall under the "Custom" option?
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:57.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/57.0
mag

Post by mag »

1. Option to customize the DEFAULT preset (I liked that I could have the forbid-by-default behavior with NoScript 5, now with NoScript 10 it seems it's more like allow-by-default since the DEFAULT preset allows everything). At least it's editable in the debug mode for now.

2. Option to always allow primary source (site), including or excluding all subdomains (to mimic the "Temporarily allow top-level sites by default" option from NoScript 5, so I can block some site if its scripts or other stuff are loaded from another site, but don't block it when visiting it directly - I used this in conjunction with the above requested option for this purpose).

3. Display what exactly is being blocked on the site (incl. blocked element type), now it isn't very clear.
Mozilla/5.0 (Macintosh; Intel Mac OS X 10.12; rv:57.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/57.0
barbaz

Post by barbaz »

mag wrote:1. Option to customize the DEFAULT preset
You already can -

1) Set a site to Default

2) Mouse over the site's "Default" label. Click the gear that shows up. You should now see a list of checkboxes.

3) Set those checkboxes how you like.
-
mag

Post by mag »

barbaz wrote:
mag wrote:1. Option to customize the DEFAULT preset
You already can - ...
You're right, this works too (besides the debug mode) but that doesn't make much sense to me in general. I mean who would expect to configure the global (DEFAULT) preset via per-site config?
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:57.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/57.0
mijkno

Post by mijkno »

Another thing I miss in the latest version is the possibility to remove single page elements, like cookie bars, overlays and menus, via pressing the left mouse button and delete.
It was very valuable for me in order to bypass overlays that demand the activation of Javascript or Cookies and always helped when the deactivation of Javascript led to huge drop-down menus being permanently opened. Alternative Addons like "Remove Anything" unfortunately removed literally everything on the page when applied, so they are not really a worthy substitute.
I am not sure if that functionality came from NoScript or was included in Firefox until version 56, but I always connected it with NoScript. Therefore I would like to know if it will be restored in later versions of NoScript. Thank you for you assistance.
Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Ubuntu; Linux x86_64; rv:56.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/56.0
jawz101

Post by jawz101 »

Bounder wrote:Thanks Barbaz. Re: Source Code: I do recall Giorgio stating such over at Hackademix during the early phase of NS-10+ release.

What I'm actually asking for is: In the interim while we wait for the GitHub repo, it would be most helpful if clear and prominent instructions about how to access the source code are posted on the NoScript home page. I know how to access the source code, but no doubt there are many who don't know.
He posted it in the first post for this extension. Last sentence of that post. In tiny font.
https://hackademix.net/2017/11/14/double-noscript/

In the interim - and as it's always been - NoScript's source code is within the extension itself.
Go to your user profile (type about:support in your address bar
Click the button that says to open your profile folder
under the extensions folder, rename the {73a6fe31-595d-460b-a920-fcc0f8843232}.xpi file as .zip
you can then unzip it like any other zip file. The code is right there.
Last edited by jawz101 on Wed Dec 06, 2017 10:47 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; Win64; x64; rv:57.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/57.0
jawz101

Post by jawz101 »

mijkno wrote:Another thing I miss in the latest version is the possibility to remove single page elements, like cookie bars, overlays and menus, via pressing the left mouse button and delete.
You're thinking of uBlock Origin. It has the little eyedropper thing where you could add manual cosmetic filters (aka element hiding in Adblock Plus.) NoScript has never had that.

https://github.com/gorhill/uBlock/wiki/Element-picker
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; Win64; x64; rv:57.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/57.0
barbaz

Post by barbaz »

jawz101 wrote:
mijkno wrote:Another thing I miss in the latest version is the possibility to remove single page elements, like cookie bars, overlays and menus, via pressing the left mouse button and delete.
You're thinking of uBlock Origin.
Nope, they're thinking of NoScript -
https://noscript.net/changelog#2.5.1 wrote:v 2.5.1
=========================================================================
+ Holding the left mouse button down on an absolutely positioned page
element and hitting the DEL key will remove it (useful to forcibly kill
in-page popups when scripts are disabled)
-
mijkno

Post by mijkno »

Since the function has clearly been an part of NoScript, will it be restored or, respectively, where is the best place to ask for its restoration?
I manually found out that the wished function can be done by right-clicking the object, choosing "Check element (Q)" and pressing delete. It seems that firefox is automatically finding the respective line in the source code, so I assume that the function should not be too difficult to reimplement. However, I have no experience with programming such a thing.
Lastly I thank for your helpand support.
Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Ubuntu; Linux x86_64; rv:57.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/57.0