NoScript 10 UI suggestions

Bug reports and enhancement requests
tgusagi

Re: NoScript 10 UI suggestions

Post by tgusagi »

Hello.

I have a couple suggestions. In the previous Noscript, if I went to about:config, I could mass load all the scripts/urls of all the sites that I wanted set as untrusted. I don't find that option in the current version. Unless it's going by a different name, I don't find anything when I search about:config for "noscript."

On the options screen, the listed scripts are in some sort of order, but it would be helpful if there was a title at the top of all the scripts that could be clicked, so all the scripts could be alphabetized.

Thanks.

Tom
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; rv:57.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/57.0
pijulius

Post by pijulius »

Hi Guys,

I have played around with some changes myself, I did it in the userContent.css file and I think even with this small changes (at least for me) noscript looks and it's a lot more clear on what it doesn.

Some notes:
1. Important: I have all script blocked by default so you will have to have that too as otherwise "default" won't mean "denied"
2. I don't care about untrust and custom as I never have and will use it anyway so those option will be only available in settings
3. I don't care about close and reload buttons in the popup either as nor do I need to close it like that nor does I need to reload as first it reloads automatically and second you anyway have reload button on the toolbar

Now this is how it looks (can't seem to attach pictures):
http://pijulius.com/share/noscript-popup.png

Download this changes:
What you need for this to happen is download the userContent.css from the link below and add it to your .mozilla/firefox/yourdefaultsessionchars.default/chrome/ directory. You may need to edit the userContent.css and change "moz-extension://d180314b-4b05-424c-95c8-65813b610734/ui/popup.html" to your own extension id as not sure if the id is always the same, to do that just open the popup right click anywhere and click "View Page Source" and you should be able to see the right url.

userContent.css:
http://pijulius.com/share/userContent.css

Regards,
J
Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Linux x86_64; rv:57.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/57.0
FranL

Post by FranL »

Your screenshot appears to show only two presets — Denied and Allowed:

Currently, NoScript allows the DEFAULT and UNTRUSTED presets to have different levels of trust (via the checkboxes associated with each preset). That is not possible with your proposed UI change. And why leave out the CUSTOM preset?
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:57.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/57.0
pijulius

Post by pijulius »

Hi FranL,

You can see the reasons behind my changes in the notes section I posted above.
I simply don't need anything else and I think majority of the people won't need it either. You can simply implement those in the settings page (which btw is the same so you can set there those options if you want) and that way if one wants those custom toggles one could simply activate them and there you go.

This way it more matches the simple context menu we had before where there was only Temporary Allow, Permanently Allow and Revoke Temporary options.

Regards,
Julius
Lurion

Post by Lurion »

Yay, well done, peeps! I was going to suggest some UI updates as well, but I see most have already been addressed in this thread.
pijulius wrote:I simply don't need anything else and I think majority of the people won't need it either.
I have to disagree with you on that one. Your needs don't necessarily reflect the needs of other people.

Personally I like to have separate permissions available on the main page without having to spend the effort to open up the settings page and manually configure websites I don't trust. What I like about separate default/untrusted permissions is that you can individually choose which parts to allow. Scripts, Objects, Frames, Fonts, etc. The list might be extended in the future. This way you don't have to boggle with allowing certain things for the websites to even display the basic things.

There should be editable global default rules for all permissions (default, untrusted, trusted, maybe even temp. trusted) as well as more detailed options for individual websites i.e. I visit websites X and Y - both are trusted, but I only want to allow media on site X, but not Y. Or subdomains i.e. I want to allow media on xxx.somesite.net, but not yyy.somesite.net. Finer-grade controls are a must IMO.
Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Ubuntu; Linux x86_64; rv:57.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/57.0
pijulius

Post by pijulius »

Hi Guys,

Just updated my changes, as usual the userContent.css can be downloaded from here:
http://pijulius.com/share/userContent.css

and the latest changes look like:

This is NOT intended for implementing into the original NoScript code, it is intended only to showcase a different format that may or may not be liked by anyone and I post it here for those who like simplicity and because as appreciation for this NoScript addon!!!!

Icons are all used from the firefox libraries, tried to find ones that look better in my opinion and also somehow explain what they do but they could be easily changed and hover zoom effects are disabled instead original firefox colors are used so it matches the overall firefox look better.

On my end I'm done, this is almost perfect to my needs so I'm pretty happy with NoScript and don't require any other change/feature :)

Thank you again Giorgio for all your hard work!

Regards,
Julius
bo elam

Post by bo elam »

When I first saw NoScript 10, I could tell what Giorgio had in mind with the way he implemented every option. It was easy to figure out how to use the new version as I used the old one. I am not an UI type of guy but I think NoScript 10 current UI is just fine. All options are right there in front of your face easy to use.

Bo
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; WOW64; rv:57.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/57.0
maxlevelcoolwinning

Post by maxlevelcoolwinning »

Hey there,

I was happy to see the new hover border for each individual ruleset button icon in the most recent UI update. That's actually what I meant in my thread about it but I didn't want to nitpick.

I just want to say that the current graphic for a selected button is really terrible. It looks like it was lifted from old pre-XP versions of windows or GTK 1 or something. The "third-click" UI looks OK (yellow tab thingy), but the active button looks out of place and not good. It doesn't affect functionality, but it's pretty bad. Not gonna bother with suggestions because it's probably not all that hard to fix, but it would be cool if you tinkered with that a bit if you can. I think it brings the rest of the UI down a bit.

Thanks for Noscript
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.3; Win64; x64; rv:58.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/58.0
Azijn

Post by Azijn »

One thing that I find a bit annoying about the Options page:

The enormous whitespace between the "Custom" icon and then the SSL lock, and or domain name.

I kinda know why it is. If you (double-click) one of the "Default/Trusted/Untrusted/Custom" buttons, you get a submenu with all the individual items you allow in that category. That extends all the way to the beginning of the SSL lock.

Still, I don't tend to fiddle with those settings much at all. Preferably the settings for Default/Trusted/Untrusted would be removed from individual domains completely, and become their own settings somewhere.

Custom is a little bit different, but I don't think there'd be a problem with just listing them in such a way, that they don't "push" the lock icon and domain name all the way to the right.
Mozilla/5.0 (Macintosh; Intel Mac OS X 10.13; rv:57.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/57.0