[Enhancement] align domain names (and separate actions)

Bug reports and enhancement requests

[Enhancement] align domain names (and separate actions)

Postby rick » Sun Sep 17, 2017 9:29 pm

This is a feature I'd love to see in NoScript's toolbar button menu (and in the contextual and statusbar menus):

to display the domain names before the "Forbid/Allow/Temp Allow"(and 'Allow All This Page/Temporarily Allow All This Page/Mark as Untrusted) entries,
i.e. to display these entries after a specific width -allowing all displayed domain names to fit- being horizontally aligned.
Additionally, use either red background for forbidden domains and green background for allowed domains (like in uBlock Origin and uMatrix - I use the same colors with uMatrix in the mockups below),
or strikethrough (like in Ghostery).

Currently, having the domain after the text, causes the domain names entries not to be aligned (not even in entries "Allow/Tmp Allow", that refer to the same domain name)
and you can't quickly scan the list to find what's forbidden, I find it very confusing, especially in sites with a lot of domain entries in NoScript.

I believe, it's more important to view the domain dame first, before the relevant action text entry.
The choices to Forbid allowed sites have a very strong red NS icon, whereas the various Allow options have the blue-and-white icon,
that's why I believe that the domain names should appear right after the NS icons: the icons are self-explanatory, and so there's no need to be immediately followed by the relevant text.
Additionally, while hovering the mouse on each of the entries, the current line becomes highlighted blue, and also, a relevant tooltip "Scripts Currently Forbidden/Allowed" is displayed,
which both further helps avoid allowing a domain by mistake.

Screenshot example for majorgeeks.com: https://i.imgur.com/2keb8ET.jpg
and here is with the "Allow" entries removed: https://i.imgur.com/QQwSvPY.jpg

i.e. the first few entries:

With my suggestion (using background colors):

That is, if I remove the "Allow xxx" entries (and then rely on the " 'Make page permissions permanent" entry) i.e. skip the duplicate lines,
it will still be more easy to read:

Alternatively, using strikethrough:

and:

PS. Using NoScript 5.0.10 in Firefox 55.0.3.
Last edited by rick on Sun Oct 15, 2017 4:05 pm, edited 13 times in total.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:55.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/55.0
rick

Re: [Enhancement] display domain before "Forbid/Allow/Tmp Al

Postby rick » Sat Sep 23, 2017 1:37 pm

This is what I mean: (I underlined the domains and marked the groups)

Image Image
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:55.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/55.0
rick

Re: [Enhancement] display domain before "Forbid/Allow/Tmp Al

Postby rick » Fri Sep 29, 2017 7:18 pm

I updated the mockups in the first post.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:56.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/56.0
rick

Return to NoScript Development