Firefox 57 and <noscript> tags

Bug reports and enhancement requests
twolf

Firefox 57 and <noscript> tags

Post by twolf »

Hello everybody,

I have got a very specific question for which I have not found an answer, neither in the FAQ nor searching forum and web: (maybe because it is quite difficult to search for the specifc term "<noscript> tag" whilst also searching for "NoScript addon")

How are you - the developers - going to get <noscript> tags to work as they did before WebExtensions?
I have found that the "new way to disable javascript" is just a way to "block" javascript, it actually is not disabled:

"Content-Security-Policy" and "x-NoScript-start; script-src 'none'; x-NoScript-stop;" do not disable javascript, therefore <noscript> tags are not rendered.

Are there any plans to get this working again?

Thank you in advance
Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Linux x86_64) AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko) Ubuntu Chromium/60.0.3112.78 Chrome/60.0.3112.78 Safari/537.36
barbaz

Re: Firefox 57 and <noscript> tags

Post by barbaz »

Moving to NoScript Development.
*Always* check the changelogs BEFORE updating that important software!
-
twolf

Post by twolf »

barbaz wrote:Moving to NoScript Development.
Hello barbaz!
With the release of NoScript 10 everything I have written in the first post has basically become a bug. Could you rename the thread accordingly, please?
Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Linux x86_64) AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko) Ubuntu Chromium/62.0.3202.75 Chrome/62.0.3202.75 Safari/537.36
barbaz

Post by barbaz »

twolf wrote:With the release of NoScript 10 everything I have written in the first post has basically become a bug. Could you rename the thread accordingly, please?
No need to rename, it's already in NoScript Development.
*Always* check the changelogs BEFORE updating that important software!
-
twolf

Post by twolf »

Dear Mr. Maone,

I highly appreciate all the work that you put into NoScript. Thank you.
I would also like to thank you for the workaround for this bug that made it into v 10.1.3rc1.

May I still kindly ask you to read these two bugs?
* https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=1367161 - implement contentSettings (like chrome! can disable JS and other permissions)
* https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=1392090 - render <noscript> if CSP is set

While your workaround is very helpful, it still is just a workaround that is based on a hack that leads to other problems like, for example, "double" styled <div> elements. This is caused by "wrong" css rules that may target your replacement <div>. It is also very inaccessible - if that is the right term.

If you came to the conclusion that your voice could make Mozilla act on either of those bugs, then there would not be any need for a workaround.
In my opinion this bug is not a NoScript bug. Rather it is a bug in the sense, that the new API is still severely limited. This affects other addons, too. Your voice could help them.
barbaz wrote:No need to rename, it's already in NoScript Development.
Thanks!
Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Linux x86_64) AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko) Ubuntu Chromium/62.0.3202.94 Chrome/62.0.3202.94 Safari/537.36